Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Points Millionaire - Status Peasant

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points Millionaire - Status Peasant

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Isn't it still possible to buy a flight pass (for $10K per month for 3 or 6 months) that effectively gives status in the form of a few thousand AQM per month?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Club Accor Gold
Originally Posted by RCyyz
Isn't it still possible to buy a flight pass (for $10K per month for 3 or 6 months) that effectively gives status in the form of a few thousand AQM per month?
From browsing the flight pass section of the AC website:

1. At $10K/month for 3 months I would think your spend would definitely be over the $20K required for SE100K.

2. All unlimited flex passes give you 10K AQM/month; latitude, 15K/month, and business 20K/month. In addition, all 6 month latitude passes give you instant E50K; business SE100K.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Aeroplan Distinction
I think there are a lot of people in the same boat as the original poster. Due do credit card spending I get more Aeroplan points than I can burn through. But the only travelling I do is for pleasure so I never earn any status miles because they are all reward booking. I just try and use my redemptions for Canadian business class seats.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:22 pm

I've got about 70,000 points and my goal is to get status by October this year. Cheers to everyone on the same boat.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:13 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
I have start seeing people selling points for as low as 2 cents per point on kijiji
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Jack Jia
I have start seeing people selling points for as low as 2 cents per point on kijiji
That seems to me to be a very high valuation of the miles...
(save for more valuable points like SPG, for the time being.)
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:13 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Jack Jia
They should just get a CC that offers 2% cashback over a certain spend threshold and forget about AE miles...
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eigenvector
They should just get a CC that offers 2% cashback over a certain spend threshold and forget about AE miles...
No, they should learn how to use Aeroplan miles

For "low spend" users, I absolutely recommend cards like the Citi Double Cash card. There's no point collecting miles if it will take you five years to get an economy-class round trip within North America.

But if you're earning enough to sell them, you should just fly F somewhere.

And do it again a few months later.

And again.

Nothing burns through miles quicker than flying F to Asia with a friend
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:08 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Either they don't know how to redeem miles in a high-CPM fashion, or they just prefer $2,000 cash to a $10,000 F ticket to Asia.

For example, I try to visit the far North every summer. I get a $3000-4000 ticket for 25,000 miles. It's great value, IF you want to visit Nunavut. But I meet people who have tons of miles and just want to go to Palm Springs or Florida or whatever on their preferred dates. 25k miles for a flight that would be $300 in Tango (and might not have any availability on your preferred dates) is actually a worse value than cashback if those miles were accumulated from CC spend.

You see a mini-RTW in J/F and think "wow, great value" but lots of people think "Thailand? Do they have Tim Horton's there?"
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Either they don't know how to redeem miles in a high-CPM fashion, or they just prefer $2,000 cash to a $10,000 F ticket to Asia.

For example, I try to visit the far North every summer. I get a $3000-4000 ticket for 25,000 miles. It's great value, IF you want to visit Nunavut. But I meet people who have tons of miles and just want to go to Palm Springs or Florida or whatever on their preferred dates. 25k miles for a flight that would be $300 in Tango (and might not have any availability on your preferred dates) is actually a worse value than cashback if those miles were accumulated from CC spend.

You see a mini-RTW in J/F and think "wow, great value" but lots of people think "Thailand? Do they have Tim Horton's there?"
They don't even have Timmies in SFO

I love my sausage biscuit!
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
That seems to me to be a very high valuation of the miles...
(save for more valuable points like SPG, for the time being.)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
No, they should learn how to use Aeroplan miles

For "low spend" users, I absolutely recommend cards like the Citi Double Cash card. There's no point collecting miles if it will take you five years to get an economy-class round trip within North America.

But if you're earning enough to sell them, you should just fly F somewhere.

And do it again a few months later.

And again.

Nothing burns through miles quicker than flying F to Asia with a friend

Oh and guys, the most sad part is he got 1500000, enough for rtw..in J..I am seriously consider just to offer this guy 1.25 cents per mile and take it all for a summer rtw due to work- i have accept the reality that twitter or sales force or square or uber is not happening lol and maybe shanghai is where I belong)

on another note
I have been use the bmo cash back and costco cash back card. 1.75% not bad
start to look at the possibility of moving to aeroplan points, but my biggest fear is miles devaluation

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Feb 13, 2016 at 10:34 am
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by dyzs
Did they strip you of your points also or just status?
Just status. I'd welcome an escalation to points however... would make my response much easier.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I love my sausage biscuit!
I can attest to his love for that biscuit of sausage...
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:13 pm

All this talk about cash back... don't forget, your cash devalues with time too...

If only I could get 10oz of gold for my 800k ae...
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Originally Posted by jetfuel44
Hey all.

Long time FT lurker.

I am a frequent flyer, putting enough butt-in-seat time to likely qualify me for Elite or Super Elite. Thing is, I only pay for about 10 segments per year (one flight pass I have). I generate a huge volume of Aeroplan points through business spending on credit cards and use these points to pay for my constant travel.

Last year, an SE friend gifted me Elite 50k as one of her 100k privileges. This year, she didn't make it and I'm left with a lowly orange Aeroplan card - I don't think I even made 25k.

Status definitely helps given how much I travel, for lounge access, standby priority, checked bags, etc...

What's a guy to do?
1. get a new friend
2. i've met people who loiter outside lounges, and ask people to help them get in. you may want to assess yr pride/self esteem/thickness of skin and then decide on this.
3. as already mentioned, spend some money and get one of those CC's that get you lounge access and some priority stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.