Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When to use e upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100k, MT Ambassador, HH Diamond, Accor Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Emerald Club
When to use e upgrades?

Hi guys

Just qualified for 35k elite altitude status. I know by the end of this year I will hit super elite 100k status.

Just a question as to when the best time to use my e upgrades is? Does air canada ever upgrade elites for free?

From all you guys who are experienced with regards to how to get upgrades as elites without using e upgrades let me know. Do you try to book full flights? Type of ticket?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I use them when I want to sit in J without paying for it.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:42 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I use them when I want to sit in J without paying for it.
That's better than my way; so far I have been wholly unsuccessful in redeeming them for extra lives in Contra.

OP, welcome to FT. Now, to try and answer your questions:

- the best time to use e-Ups is whatever time works for you, as long as you remember that allll the other frequent flyers have them too, including a whole bunch of 50K, 75K and 100K. So, you might pick a flight that feels like a good fit, but then not get to use them because the last two open seats in J were given to higher-status fliers who wanted to use THEIR e-Ups on that flight.

- They expire February 29, which also means that in January-February, there are lots of 100Ks trying to burn through their leftover credits before they vanish.

- Until you hit 100K, using e-Ups for flights outside North America comes with a pretty steep fee, hilariously named an "Add-On". So, personally, I would say the best value for e-Ups for lower-status fliers is on the domestic long-haul routes like YVR-YYZ, when you can get them.

- Try to think ahead; for example, it would really suck to upgrade a YWG-YVR return trip on an E90, for 16 credits, and then realize you're 1 credit short to upgrade that YVR-YUL leg on a 333.

- As for "free" upgrades, if you're comparing Air Canada to Delta, United or American, the answer is "virtually never". Air Canada says they're trying to be like Cathay, in that they only upgrade people for free if the lesser cabins are oversold. That said, it happens occasionally and sometimes without rhyme or reason.

I'm not going to attempt to explain the priority for upgrades, there are several great threads on this board explaining it far better than I ever could.

Some people like Canadiancow and Mrs. YVRGary have great luck with their e-Ups, others refer to it as "Aerolotto" since your odds of success are not always high.

Your mileage may vary, as they say.

Good luck!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yvrgary
Some people like Canadiancow and Mrs. YVRGary have great luck with their e-Ups, others refer to it as "Aerolotto" since your odds of success are not always high.
Are people really having trouble this year?

I'm seeing a lot more empty seats, staff in J, etc.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:23 am

I'm hearing the term "aerolotto" less around here than I did six months ago.

...maybe "de-cheapenhancing" the J cabin has solved the problem.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: AC Altitude E50K;HH Gold, Hertz Gold, Amex Plat, Prio Pass Marriott Bonvoy Plat, Avis President Club
I got free upgraded at the gate without me asking or e upgrade, very suprised and enjoy them very much!
March 2015 NRT - YVR from Y to PE
Aug 2015 CDG - YUL from Y to J
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:51 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
OP, if you want to sit in J, use your eUps. As yvrgary said, you need to be strategic about it, but the only way to have a high degree of confidence you'll sit in J is to pay for it or use the eUps. Op-ups (what you refer to as "free" upgrades) happen occasionally, but very rarely, and can't be counted on.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:05 am

Ease of usage also depends on where you are located, out of YEG not bad other than a couple of heavy use windows during week when government/consultants/YYZ based sales types are coming in or going out. That and overseas drilling crews ( a lot based out of here ) all are SE100K so they get 1st crack, but mainly on YEG-YVR leg on the SYD

Fortunately I am traveling opposite direction most of time as well. I don't think I have not been able to upgrade a flight I wanted in over a year now. But my business flying is split 50/50 long haul domestic or short haul with Dash/Q400 with no J . Personal is mostly long haul in paid discount Z/P fare.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100k, MT Ambassador, HH Diamond, Accor Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Emerald Club
Thanks all.

For anyone that is super elite 100k what are the chances you get upgraded for free without using any e credits? Any secrets you have when booking? Do you try to book full flights?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aker
Thanks all.

For anyone that is super elite 100k what are the chances you get upgraded for free without using any e credits? Any secrets you have when booking? Do you try to book full flights?

Once you learn the secret handshake, there are plenty of secrets
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:34 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Thanks all.

See my earlier post. Even as SE, there's no reliable way to get upgraded without using eUps or paying for it. You can book a flight that looks full, but (a) the flight may not be full, (b) even if it's full, there may be misconnects or people who change plans, (c) other people may use their eUps, (d) other SEs may get op-uped before you, (e) if no status pax have requested an upgrade, they may put AC staff or random people up front. All of which would leave you in the back. And there's probably a few more I haven't thought of.

Bottom line, use eUps, or pay for it, if you want to sit in J, and look at any op-ups you do get as a bonus, but there's no way to guarantee them.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Sep 2, 2015 at 11:46 am Reason: Corrected typo
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:34 am

Thanks all.

Low. Not zero, but low, and definitely not anything you should be counting on.

Plus, anyone who's got secrets like this probably won't be giving them away on the Internet!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: Free Agent
use them while you can as they have a shelf life and as the 'year end' for the 2015 eups approaches, you may not find flights you can upgrade in advance. Unless upgrading at the gate-lotto appeals to you.

If you want to sit up front without using the eups, pay for J or buy a NA Lat Flight Pass where there are comp upgrades at 48 hrs.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: SE 100K
On this topic...

I asked in another thread, but never got a great reply.

Flying LHR > YVR in a couple weeks.

How do I check the flight fare class status to see my likelihood of Eup-ing to Premium Economy?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by CanadianMike
On this topic...

I asked in another thread, but never got a great reply.

Flying LHR > YVR in a couple weeks.

How do I check the flight fare class status to see my likelihood of Eup-ing to Premium Economy?
ExpertFlyer or something like it; I believe only a paid account can do this, but I'm sure someone with a membership would be kind enough to check if you can post flight details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.