Community
Wiki Posts
Search

J cabin filled with AC uniforms

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
Mc Donald 1 AC 0. Anybody but a uniformed captain in J is what fully blown HIV does to the pimp!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by jlisi984
I saw 12 STF in J on a 767 MXP YYZ.
Considering that there are 24 seats, 1 reserved for pilot, 1 was free... Ummmm that's crazy!!!
I think employees get a certain amount of free travel and upgrades each year. These crew + families probably checked loads diligently and noticed the low J loads on this flight.
Yikes. Probably why AC decided to cancel year-round MXP service.

I'm personally not for staff in premium cabins - think SQ CX EK etc.
CX does allow pilots + family and certain other staff J/F space-available travel. So does EK. But by nature of their one hub operations they have fewer deadheading flights so you are less likely to notice it.

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
AC is going after the likes of CX...so follow their lead!
See above.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Dorian
I thought this was par for the course?

It doesn't impact me....but people often talk about it.
News to me if anyone is praising the AC approach. What sets AF/KLM apart is that the cost of the upgrade is discounted and is consistently offered before checkin as well as at checkin. I don't fly often in AC economy, but I have yet to experience a similar option to AF/KLM. When i have inquired at AC checkin on a slow night, it's always been a full fare difference. I suppose it gets back to the pisspoor AC software. If I have it wrong, ok, but that's my experience and perception.

BTW, maybe some of those J seats are truly empty if the AC pricing strategy is full on. I have another SE Asia trip coming up: 1/2 the cost on other airlines, with an easier schedule. I didn't think I'd be piling on the sky rupees this way.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
If I'm not mistaken it's in the pilot contracts to be in J no? The FAs don't have that, from what I've heard, but as others have said the AC agents will upgrade them whenever there's space (which hopefully means after eUPs) though it's funny I've seen YYC-YVR, me and like 2 others in J 2 pilots, 2 FAs, 2 seats open...at least 2 Rouge FAs deadheading...in the back.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by pitz
Of course, if the J cabin turns into an incarnation of the AC social club, then that's a giant problem.
I've seen this more often than not...

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Perk of the job. Like getting a discount if you work for a retailer, or getting hotel stays if you work for hilton, etc etc.
Employers offer these perks but they should also consider the impact as well as the optics. If you get a discount as a retail clerk or you get a free hotel room as a hotel employee, it may impact the consumer if he/she can't get the product due to limited supply. However, it's not in your face... as much as it is when you're flying in a J cabin that is full of employees. (akin to the McD employee eating the Big Mac in front of you AND sitting at your table)
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by xray
Employers offer these perks but they should also consider the impact as well as the optics. If you get a discount as a retail clerk or you get a free hotel room as a hotel employee, it may impact the consumer if he/she can't get the product due to limited supply. However, it's not in your face... as much as it is when you're flying in a J cabin that is full of employees. (akin to the McD employee eating the Big Mac in front of you AND sitting at your table)
Bolding mine. This is exactly what it comes down to -- optics.

We forget that those of us on FT are generally far more informed and in tune with AC's policies that the average frequent flyer. So when Mr. Normal Altituder runs out of eUpgrade credits because upgrades cost twice as much in 2015 as they did in 2014 and hasn't earned any new ones because the first threshold is at 60,000 AQM, he's pissed off. When he boards a flight and makes his way through a J cabin with a significant proportion of employee pax, he's seething.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:27 am

It's a no win when in uniform crew fly's in J, I know I pay more attention to how long meal takes, refill on drinks, etc, if slow I am going to blame the fact crew is getting the attention and I am not.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
I don't usually fly AC, and so correct me if I'm wrong here, but my impression when searching for flights between YYZ and other destinations in J is that few travelling on their own dime would pay for AC business transborder.

Looking at YYZ-IAH in J, minimum on AC is $1704. On United, $850.

For SFO, AC is $2494 if I buy 2 months in advance, $3,234 otherwise. On United (with one stopover), it's $720. AA and UA on their comparable premium routes (NYC/LAX-SFO) start at $1200.

I'm not complaining -- if I can't afford to pay for the product I don't somehow deserve it. But maybe if AC brought their short/mid-haul business prices in line with the other carriers, the J cabin would have more paying customers? It seems like in an effort to avoid cheapening the J cabin, they seem to be doing exactly that.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by drvannostren
If I'm not mistaken it's in the pilot contracts to be in J no? The FAs don't have that, from what I've heard, but as others have said the AC agents will upgrade them whenever there's space (which hopefully means after eUPs) though it's funny I've seen YYC-YVR, me and like 2 others in J 2 pilots, 2 FAs, 2 seats open...at least 2 Rouge FAs deadheading...in the back.
Captains
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I saw 12 STF in J on a 767 MXP YYZ.
Considering that there are 24 seats, 1 reserved for pilot, 1 was free... Ummmm that's crazy!!!
I think employees get a certain amount of free travel and upgrades each year. These crew + families probably checked loads diligently and noticed the low J loads on this flight.

I'm personally not for staff in premium cabins - think SQ CX EK etc.
EK does allow staff to sometimes travel in J. But they are very strict in the conditions where this is allowed to happen. For example - no jeans in the front cabins. Staff travelling on business - example staff travelling to a meeting will be in a confirmed seat in paid J but they will not be in uniform.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by xray
I've seen this more often than not...

+100%. Retail marketing is all about optics and just like in life, your actions ( or inaction) speak louder than words. When you have multiple sales channels (at various prices) for a very similar service offering, channel conflict is a real risk to your sales and value proposition. If your marketing message is ''that if you want J, then pay for J'', then this rule has to be uniform across all sales channels (including employees). Otherwise 'the pay for J' is completely debunked, and the 'cheapening of the product' is just transferred to a different stakeholder. Companies used to get away from this before the sharing/connected economy. But Google/social media never forget.

Employees may have perks but the most effective internal marketed ones are ones that customer can't see and often involve a small token discount off a high cost item (which official spokesman Ben Lipsey readily admits the cost of an empty J seat is small) yet AC thinks it perfectly ethical to pursue two different pricing strategies (cost based) and market (demand) simultaneously which adds further channel conflict, customer antagonizing, and a desire to game the system (''screw them before they screw me'' mantra).

Those who are advocating it for personal non altruistic reasons are really not credible given its quite easy (and convenient) to come up with personal self fulfilling prophecies that benefit very few (or just themselves). That is the epitome of entitlement.

Last edited by kwflyer; Sep 2, 2015 at 11:40 am
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by drvannostren
How do you know the rouge FAs were deadheading and not commuting?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by xLuther
It's a no win when in uniform crew fly's in J, I know I pay more attention to how long meal takes, refill on drinks, etc, if slow I am going to blame the fact crew is getting the attention and I am not.
I've seen employees get better treatment quite a few times. Recently flew from YYC to SK and a bunch of off duty jazz pilots were trying to get onboard a flight and apparently GA denied boarding to some of the standby pilots (for legitimate reasons) and the pilot (who did get one) didn't like pulled a DYKWIA with the FA (although the FA rightly couldn't do anything) and ended up getting an open bar service.

Everyone else had to pay.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The Lev
When did AC begin flights to Guangzhou or were you flying to HKG then transfering there?

(It has been speculated numerous times )
Dang, you have sharp eyes... it should be CUN (Cancun), sorry
Also very sorry for bring up the subject, didnt think it is so controversial. I have no problem with it as my upgrade was honored but just curious, that's all. SORRY.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Captains
Oh ok. Well you're probably right but it does seem to me it's usually anyone with epaulets haha. I remember being on standby like 6-7 years ago YYZ-YVR, whole day was basically full and me being like C9 priority or whatever, I was dead last...EXCEPT I bumped a Westcoast Air pilot lol. I felt bad and apologized to the guy as he stood there in uniform (why he was in uniform in Toronto for a float airline at YVR, I dunno exactly) then I bounced and boarded the plane

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.