Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap Western Canada Flight Pass

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by tcook052
Is flying AC & partners in business class Canada to S. Africa for $2,600 RT also too good to be true?
No since we see that price all the time.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by mkjr
No since we see that price all the time.
Well since that pass was brand new we saw that price for that pass all the time too! Or at least we saw that price for more than 25% of the entire time that, that product was offered. Far more frequent than the other one you are referencing.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
So I'm legitimately baffled.

It looks like a pretty unanimous response that everyone likes the fact that AC will let you buy a ticket, then simply change your mind and cancel it within 24 hours. Whether you made a mistake, accidentally booked the wrong dates etc., or you simply decided you didn't want that deal anymore.

So, what is different about what AC has done here?

Several people in this thread have provided several different legal interpretations, but I'm wondering about this more from the "do the right thing" perspective.

Sean makes a good point that as a small business owner, he is responsible for mistakes made by his employees, which is fair. Then again, I've been on both sides of this one in my company, and inevitably one party or the other gets on the phone and says "Hey, Bill, you want to take another look at Page Three before we sign this thing?". If the mistake had created consequences, then the offending party makes it right and you move on.

If one of my clients said "I don't care if it's a typo, I signed it anyway, now hold that price or I'll sue you", I would be likely to want to drop them as a client the second that contract ran out.

This is, of course, assuming that in my hypothetical the mistake is caught right away, obviously I'm not talking about trying to renegotiate a contract well after the fact, but that's why I'm asking about the 24-hour option here.

I agree completely that AC have bungled this thing 112% from a corporate-communications perspective. Pulling parts of the website offline so nobody can read the rules is just lame.

...but they've honoured the tickets for anyone who actually booked flights, and simply refunded the charge for everyone else.

In other words, they appear to have taken the same option for themselves that the rest of us find so useful when it benefits us.

So... what's the difference?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by yvrgary

It looks like a pretty unanimous response that everyone likes the fact that AC will let you buy a ticket, then simply change your mind and cancel it within 24 hours. Whether you made a mistake, accidentally booked the wrong dates etc., or you simply decided you didn't want that deal anymore.

So, what is different about what AC has done here?

Several people in this thread have provided several different legal interpretations, but I'm wondering about this more from the "do the right thing" perspective.

Sean makes a good point that as a small business owner, he is responsible for mistakes made by his employees, which is fair. Then again, I've been on both sides of this one in my company, and inevitably one party or the other gets on the phone and says "Hey, Bill, you want to take another look at Page Three before we sign this thing?". If the mistake had created consequences, then the offending party makes it right and you move on.

If one of my clients said "I don't care if it's a typo, I signed it anyway, now hold that price or I'll sue you", I would be likely to want to drop them as a client the second that contract ran out.

This is, of course, assuming that in my hypothetical the mistake is caught right away, obviously I'm not talking about trying to renegotiate a contract well after the fact, but that's why I'm asking about the 24-hour option here.

I agree completely that AC have bungled this thing 112% from a corporate-communications perspective. Pulling parts of the website offline so nobody can read the rules is just lame.

...but they've honoured the tickets for anyone who actually booked flights, and simply refunded the charge for everyone else.

In other words, they appear to have taken the same option for themselves that the rest of us find so useful when it benefits us.

So... what's the difference?
I understand your argument. I think the problem I persoanlly have is people are not making reasonable or fair compairisons.

Comparing Flight pass policies to ticket policies is simply not fair. To me people do things like this when they are grasping at strings.

What needs to be done is compare flight pass policies to flight pass policies. For example. When you make a flight pass booking do you have 24 hours to cancel? No you don't. In fact every time I make a flight pass booking I get a big warning message about this even if it's J or latitude.

So my problem is that it in fact is a double standard if you compare flight pass policies. Regular ticket policies should have never been brought in to this.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Well since that pass was brand new we saw that price for that pass all the time too! Or at least we saw that price for more than 25% of the entire time that, that product was offered. Far more frequent than the other one you are referencing.
Please. Either way. If some are unhappy, sue. It's pretty easy to do. What a jerky comment. Pretending this is not a mistake is just making you look silly.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:00 pm

I understand your argument. I think the problem I persoanlly have is people are not making reasonable or fair compairisons.

Comparing Flight pass policies to ticket policies is simply not fair. To me people do things like this when they are grasping at strings.

What needs to be done is compare flight pass policies to flight pass policies. For example. When you make a flight pass booking do you have 24 hours to cancel? No you don't. In fact every time I make a flight pass booking I get a big warning message about this even if it's J or latitude.

So my problem is that it in fact is a double standard if you compare flight pass policies. Regular ticket policies should have never been brought in to this.
Cry us a river. It was a mistake and you knew it was.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:06 pm

Please. Either way. If some are unhappy, sue. It's pretty easy to do. What a jerky comment. Pretending this is not a mistake is just making you look silly.
Cry us a river. It was a mistake and you knew it was.
I think you missed earlier in the thread where I made it pretty clear that I believe everyone knew it was cheaper than it should have been.

And I'm not unhappy, in fact, no where have I said that this even impacts me! All I am doing is sharing what happens in other industries (Retail) when an error like this occurs.

I'm sorry that I can't help it that other companies have been forced to uphold pricing on ecom sites that is incorrect. If you feel this is incorrect I am sure these companies would love for you to act on their behalf in appeals court and get their lost profits back.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:17 pm

So I've been reading all the posts.... and I like hearing about the different points of view, it's why I am on FT.

But I have to say, I have not yet seen one solid argument for AC not having to honour the sale (yet).

The argument I keep seeing is that "you know it was really cheap" or something along those lines. Yup, I'm sure whoever bought it knew it was cheap, that's why they bought it. But the fact that they knew it was cheap doesn't change the fact that a sale for a service was made. So I don't really see how that stands as a valid argument (maybe it's just me).
Assuming you mean "legal argument" and not "moral argument":

See "unilateral mistake". e.g., "A unilateral mistake is where only one party is mistaken and the other party knows about it and takes advantage of the error. ... In the case of Hartog v Colin and Shields (1939) the seller had made a mistake as to the price of goods and it was held that the buyer must have realised the mistake and as it concerned a term of the contract, the contract was held to be void." (http://www.drukker.co.uk/publications/l/law-mistake-uk/

In my extremely non-expert opinion as a non-lawyer, AC is likely on good legal ground.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yvrgary

again... haha. AC must be the top publicly traded Canadian company in terms of bungled corporate communications. Someone should write a book on it. It just has become so funny to watch, not worth getting upset over.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Hi Sean, to more accurately compare apples to apples, using your example, consider this; If you use a flex pass to get a ticket, they won't let you cancel the booking. My Latitude Flight Passes have been 100% flexible up to 1 hour prior to flight, but that isn't my point. AC has said that they will allow bookings, that are already made, to go through on these J Passes. Like your example, they are honoring them if a booking was madel. Now, about a year ago, my assistant made an error and purchased the wrong Flight Pass for me. She made a mistake buying a Flight Pass, much like AC made a mistake selling these Flight Passes. The Flight Pass she purchased was a NA Flight Pass and I needed a Western TB Flight Pass. The NA would have worked, but was quite a bit more expensive. I phoned AC and once I explained the problem, they let me cancel the purchase and get the lower priced Flight Pass. Would this not, more accurately, parallel what AC has done here?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by YEG2MM
Hi Sean, to more accurately compare apples to apples, using your example, consider this; If you use a flex pass to get a ticket, they won't let you cancel the booking. My Latitude Flight Passes have been 100% flexible up to 1 hour prior to flight, but that isn't my point. AC has said that they will allow bookings, that are already made, to go through on these J Passes. Like your example, they are honoring them if a booking was madel. Now, about a year ago, my assistant made an error and purchased the wrong Flight Pass for me. She made a mistake buying a Flight Pass, much like AC made a mistake selling these Flight Passes. The Flight Pass she purchased was a NA Flight Pass and I needed a Western TB Flight Pass. The NA would have worked, but was quite a bit more expensive. I phoned AC and once I explained the problem, they let me cancel the purchase and get the lower priced Flight Pass. Would this not, more accurately, parallel what AC has done here?
I agree this would be a lot more accurate to what has happened! And I am glad for you that they did it! It's very nice of them.

The point I would make is that, what they did ( which was really nice ) was technically against the rules. And I don't think it's fair to compare something they did for kindness vs what the rules are.

I totally accept I might be an outlier here, but that's just my opinion.

I do use flight passes, usually the latitude western tb. Actually I just bought one today and the price was lower than usual ($4,500). I hope AC doesn't go and cancel this pass I just bought today too since it was a lower price than usual. I already booked 2 of the credits.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
I do use flight passes, usually the latitude western tb. Actually I just bought one today and the price was lower than usual ($4,500). I hope AC doesn't go and cancel this pass I just bought today too since it was a lower price than usual. I already booked 2 of the credits.
I'm sure that, when this Western US pass was offered at 900.00, the fact that it was priced so much lower than the Latitude and Flex passes, and these buttons were immediately beside the J Pass, was a pretty good indication of an error.

I agree that the way AC went about it wasn't the best, but they did have to take immediate action.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I hope AC doesn't go and cancel this pass I just bought today too since it was a lower price than usual.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Lol well it was lower than usual I hope it wasn't an it loading error
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Lol well it was lower than usual I hope it wasn't an it loading error
Just give up on flight passes. The fact that you're saving any money at all on a FP is indicative that they will cancel them and you won't be able to use them anyways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.