Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap Western Canada Flight Pass

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: AC SE 100k MM, SPG Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt Gold, Airmiles, AMEX
I was one of the ones who bought this pass and successfully booked a round trip before it could be taken away. They did honor the 2 legs I booked, so cannot complain.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
This will be interesting since it seems like the question will be, who's responsible in the case of an IT error?

Will Air Canada successfully claim that mistakes can happen to anyone and that they should not be held responsible? Or will they be found liable for the error since it was their own shoddy IT that caused it?

I didn't buy those flight passes so I'm not directly affected. But I'm interested to see what will happen.

(I'm sure they'll settle... these things always settle...)
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by segacs
This will be interesting since it seems like the question will be, who's responsible in the case of an IT error?

Will Air Canada successfully claim that mistakes can happen to anyone and that they should not be held responsible? Or will they be found liable for the error since it was their own shoddy IT that caused it?

I didn't buy those flight passes so I'm not directly affected. But I'm interested to see what will happen.

(I'm sure they'll settle... these things always settle...)
Or, if AC does not do their own IT, will the IT company be the one's footing the bill for this mistake. I don't think AC will settle. If AC settles, it will open them and all other website sale site to future cases. I don't think this will go to much farther. If it does, a larger/better law firm with deep pockets will have to take over the case against AC.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:18 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
If I'm not mistaken, the mistake in print was the newspaper's... and there was no consideration exchanged.

AC induced these plaintiffs to lend money to AC for the duration of the mistake. Also the wording in the article is that the contract breach was discovered at time of attempting to use the FP. Not only was no notice of revocation given (assumption), but the plaintiffs now had to find alternative carriage possibly at a time when fares had risen. Reliance is understood in contract law.

Lastly, this was not a newspaper ad. This was "printed" by AC on AC media, and sold with confirmed transaction of consideration on AC systems.

For the silly TV case, if the plaintiffs had a smart lawyer, they could claim their time and gas money as losses... I dunno, 5 cents back in 1940? And who's at fault? Newspaper? The communication system between retailer and newspaper? Or actual retailer?

These ambiguities do not exist in this AC case.
all fair points but my understanding from contracts is that good faith mistakes (are the ads loaded to automatically sync with a price that was loaded in the system?) are not considered an offer which form consideration. but my understanding is not based on canadian contract law, and consideration is really weird and wonky. so who knows. the venue is quebec after all. but i'm still betting the boilerplate first motion to dismiss from ac will be granted.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:43 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Latest email just came out:

CLASS ACTION: HURST VERSUS AIR CANADA

MISPRICED AIR CANADA 10-SEGMENT FLIGHT PASS IN AUGUST 2015

On January 27, 2017, the Superior Court of Québec authorized a class action against Air Canada who is alleged to have refused to honour advertised prices for one of its Flight Passes in contravention of the Consumer Protection Act. These allegations have not been proven in Court.

WHO IS A CLASS MEMBER?

Briefly, the class action includes all consumers residing anywhere in Canada who bought the “Western Canada and Western USA Plus” Flight Pass for Business Class travel on Air Canada’s website between August 25, 2015, and August 28, 2015, and who had their purchases cancelled by Air Canada thereafter.

WHAT IS THE GOAL OF THE CLASS ACTION?

The class action seeks to establish whether Air Canada required its customers to pay a price higher than the one advertised on its website in contravention of the Québec Consumer Protection Act.

WHAT CAN YOU GET?

The class action seeks to obtain for class members compensation and punitive damages.

A class member cannot be ordered to pay a defendant’s costs for the class action.

HOW TO EXCLUDE YOURSELF?

If you wish to exclude yourself from the class, you must advise the Clerk of the Superior Court of Québec in the District of Montréal by registered mail to 1 Notre Dame Street East, Montréal, Québec, H2Y 1B6 by no later than Friday, September 8, 2017, at 5:00 P.M. Eastern Time.

The request for exclusion must be made in writing with reference to the class action identified by the court file number 500‑06‑000756‑151.

Among others, people who wish to bring an individual action at their own expense have the interest to exclude themselves from a class action.

WHO REPRESENTS THE MEMBERS?

Mr. David Hurst has been designated by the Court to represent the members of the class.

FOR FURTHER INFO

This notice is only a summary of the notice to members, the complete text of which can be obtained here or on the websites identified below. The judgment authorizing the class action and the application to institute proceedings can also be found on the same websites. You may also contact the representative’s attorneys:

Evolink Law Group
www.evolinklaw.com
[email protected]
Telephone: 604-620-2666

Champlain Avocats
www.champlainavocats.com
Fax: 514-800-0677
Telephone: 514-866-3636

Registry of Class Actions
http://services.justice.gouv.qc.ca/d...l/Accueil.aspx

THIS TEXT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE COURT. IN THE EVENT OF A DISCREPANCY BETWEEN THIS SUMMARY NOTICE AND THE COMPLETE NOTICE, THE LATTER SHALL PREVAIL.

This email was sent by Air Canada following a judgment issued by the Superior Court of Quebec (Nº: 500-06-000756-151). This email is excluded from commercial electronic message as defined, namely, under Canada’s anti-spam law and associated regulations.
The link inside the email: https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...8024|265097282
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
According to Air Canada Flight Pass Mispricing National Class Action, the trial is in progress.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Apparently the trial was set to wrap up yesterday... hope we hear the results soon!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by coleworld
Apparently the trial was set to wrap up yesterday... hope we hear the results soon!
Anyone have an update on the trial? My emails to Evolink has gone unanswered.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DarkCanuck
Anyone have an update on the trial? My emails to Evolink has gone unanswered.
They sent out an email update yesterday to those who subscribed. The email was posted on RFD
Old May 4, 2019, 4:24 pm

looking forward to my $57.12 in three years
Old May 4, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Settlement will be ---

AC pays legal fees
Class indemnifies AC from liability
AC gives a bunch of credits and travel vouchers, or small amount of cash to the class.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by jazzsax
Settlement will be ---

AC pays legal fees
Class indemnifies AC from liability
AC gives a bunch of credits and travel vouchers, or small amount of cash to the class.
$500 AC travel voucher valid for one year.
http://evolinklaw.com/wp-content/upl...ce-English.pdf
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So the lawyers make bank and the class members get way more than they deserve.
Adam Smith and PB53x11 like this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 4:46 pm

How do we get this?
I purchased one of these, but have only had some of the Evolink email updates. Partner also purchased one and possibly gets more of the Evolink updates?
Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:30 pm

We are pleased to inform you that on November 1, 2019, the Superior Court of Quebec approved the proposed settlement for the Class, including payment of attorney fees.

Under the terms of the settlement, Air Canada will be directly distributing the eCoupons to each eligible class member via the e-mail addresses that were provided at the initial purchase back in August 2015. The distribution is expected to occur between December 11, 2019 to December 22, 2019.

The amount each eligible class member will receive is approximately $503 CAD, in the form of an eCoupon from Air Canada.

A copy of the Court's judgment can be found on our website (http://evolinklaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Approval-Judgment.pdf).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.