Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Take Air Canada Altitude benefits to the next level with Starwood Preferred Guest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Take Air Canada Altitude benefits to the next level with Starwood Preferred Guest

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by CanRulez
Interesting perspective. I like travelling and visiting different countries and taking pictures to enjoy the moment. Having hotel status for me coupled with airline status means I can take mini vacations often for free.
I have reached the point where I love stay-at-home status more than I love hotel status. At the moment, i'm sitting in yet another generic close-to-the-airport hotel, wishing I was less jet-lagged, wishing I didn't have my TATL flight to get through tomorrow, wishing I'd been able to eat something home made rather than lounge/room service food ...

Vacation? You couldn't pay me to stay in a hotel anywhere. "Mom .. I need the cottage for a week". That's about as exciting as I want my vacation to be.

Kudos to the road warriors who do this year over year. I have not your fortitude.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 5:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by lostinthewash
I have reached the point where I love stay-at-home status more than I love hotel status. At the moment, i'm sitting in yet another generic close-to-the-airport hotel, wishing I was less jet-lagged, wishing I didn't have my TATL flight to get through tomorrow, wishing I'd been able to eat something home made rather than lounge/room service food ...

Vacation? You couldn't pay me to stay in a hotel anywhere. "Mom .. I need the cottage for a week". That's about as exciting as I want my vacation to be.

Kudos to the road warriors who do this year over year. I have not your fortitude.
Yeah very true...it does take its toll after awhile. I've been on the road close to 140 nights this year and it's only July.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Five years ago Air Canada shared my elite info with SPG, and I was given complimentary gold status. I've made platinum every year since that happened. Before that I was SPG nothing. So I could see them having some success with this program.

As an SE100k with SPG Plat and SPG lifetime gold I don't think I get much from this other than more Altitude members cheaping my hotels.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CanRulez
Yeah very true...it does take its toll after awhile. I've been on the road close to 140 nights this year and it's only July.
Replied to in the Lounge thread in case you and lostinthewash don't follow that thread to stay on topic
Old Jul 16, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K
I have SPG Gold via my Amex Plat and I've tried unsuccessfully twice to get it to "take" with my account.

When I get to check-in they don't have any record of it, show the Amex Plat, nothing. Zero benefits have been given twice.

So I'd respectfully recommend SPG get THAT act together before they embark on this one. I highly doubt I'd ever book an SPG property based on this promo. I'll try to use those cards if I happen to be at an SPG but it's a pretty weak promo.

Fairmont though. ^ ^ I went from nothing to spending a ton of time in Fairmont properties.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:41 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by YVRorange

I find the priority (platinum) checkin line is pretty useless based on my personal experiences in the past at SPG properties. 2pm late checkout could be valuable for those without any sort of status.
+1
I was checking in at the Sheraton parkway north 2 days ago and there were quite a few people in the main line. I got into the empty roped off line only to wait while they checked everyone else in first from the regular line.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by YYCYYZ
I have SPG Gold via my Amex Plat and I've tried unsuccessfully twice to get it to "take" with my account.

When I get to check-in they don't have any record of it, show the Amex Plat, nothing. Zero benefits have been given twice.

So I'd respectfully recommend SPG get THAT act together before they embark on this one. I highly doubt I'd ever book an SPG property based on this promo. I'll try to use those cards if I happen to be at an SPG but it's a pretty weak promo.

Fairmont though. ^ ^ I went from nothing to spending a ton of time in Fairmont properties.
lol. you need to call the plat concierge and have them setup your plat benefits, as with anything other. it's not automatic and attached to the physical card.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
GOLD STATUS CHALLENGE
Register for the challenge, then stay 9 eligible nights within 90 days of registration and you’ll be rewarded with benefits like:

I suppose this isn't that difficult in 90 days but you only need to have 10 stays in a calendar year to get Gold so it's hardly a major leg up and as others have mentioned it's been an AMEX Plat benefit for Canadians for years
Old Jul 17, 2015, 12:02 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
That's a bit of a strike to Fairmont Hotels and Resorts, considering they were the only ones in the past to offer a Fast Track recognition and bonuses for Altitude, err Distinction members...
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
That's a bit of a strike to Fairmont Hotels and Resorts, considering they were the only ones in the past to offer a Fast Track recognition and bonuses for Altitude, err Distinction members...
I do not want to go OT in this thread but I have been wondering which competitor SPG is really after with this offer. I have seen Fairmont mentioned twice in this thread and this is possible but I would not bet on it. With Delta Hotels moving their members to Marriott Rewards - SPG may see an opportunity or a threat as Marriott is significantly increasing their footprint domestically, which may entice some people to now consider Marriott (domestically and abroad)
Old Jul 17, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: AC*Tangerine
Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF
I do not want to go OT in this thread but I have been wondering which competitor SPG is really after with this offer. I have seen Fairmont mentioned twice in this thread and this is possible but I would not bet on it. With Delta Hotels moving their members to Marriott Rewards - SPG may see an opportunity or a threat as Marriott is significantly increasing their footprint domestically, which may entice some people to now consider Marriott (domestically and abroad)
The majority of my hotel spend has been with Marriott for years. I see nothing in this SPG offer to entice me away.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
As an SE100k with SPG Plat and SPG lifetime gold I don't think I get much from this other than more Altitude members cheaping my hotels.
I'm in the same boat - I get nothing out of this, would rather they had a cross-earning agreement like the other airlines SPG has partnered with.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Air Canada certainly did't put any effort into negotiating with SPG

1) SPG has prograns with Delta and Emirates: earn an airline loyalty point with every hotel $ spent
2) The summer gold/diamond challenge available to the Public is 6 stays to gold , 12 to diamond. As opposed to 9days & 18 days for loyal Air Canada Altitude folks
Old Jul 17, 2015, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Agreed - the phantom Platinum/Gold check-in lines at a majority of properties worldwide are just a placard on the counter without any real demarcated zones so nobody gives a crap.
Only a handful of locations worldwide have clearly demarcated areas (either a separate concierge check-in office area or clealy demarcated stanchions and carpeting).
Exactly. What they need is a clearly established boarding process. Zone 1 rules. Stuff like that.

Old Jul 17, 2015, 4:26 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yyznomad
My SPG status has now been cheapened by all you plebs
Lol, exactly the same thought my boss and I had

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.