Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[IN FLIGHT] Shaves on a Plane; the Hall of Shame for passengers behaving badly on AC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[IN FLIGHT] Shaves on a Plane; the Hall of Shame for passengers behaving badly on AC

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
I'm waiting for some FT'er to post:

"I was on 882 to Copenhagen recently. There were these two guys going on endlessly about their frequent flying, how aeroplan sucks and how other carriers are better than AC. I tried to sarcastically suggest they get off the plane but they just stared at me. Friggin' SE's, it made me so mad I couldn't sleep and had to crush my water bottle to calm down for half the flight. I asked the SD who they thought they were and he muttered something about cows or bulls or something. Some people eh?"

Just to make the point that there are two sides to a story & who's to say that those we find obnoxious might think the same of us. Unless they are shaving in their seat of course which is just plane wrong. (My beard trimmer collects hairs supposedly as well but I still have to clean the sink before the Mrs complains.)

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I was on 882 YYZ-CPH with another FTer on the 11th. We were in 1AD.

During boarding, we were talking about stuff. Like Aeroplan bookings, LH F, etc. But we were not talking about Air Canada. We were also not really complaining about anything, just discussing.

2A shouts "If you hate it so much, why don't you get off?"

He then proceeded to squish his water bottle for at least 4 hours of the flight, which makes a lot of noise.

He also asked the SD about the two of us.

I was considering accidentally dropping a drink on him.

He was SE/MM/VIP, because he was asked for his meal choice right after I was.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
I'm waiting for some FT'er to post:

"I was on 882 to Copenhagen recently. There were these two guys going on endlessly about their frequent flying, how aeroplan sucks and how other carriers are better than AC. I tried to sarcastically suggest they get off the plane but they just stared at me. Friggin' SE's, it made me so mad I couldn't sleep and had to crush my water bottle to calm down for half the flight. I asked the SD who they thought they were and he muttered something about cows or bulls or something. Some people eh?"

Just to make the point that there are two sides to a story & who's to say that those we find obnoxious might think the same of us. Unless they are shaving in their seat of course which is just plane wrong. (My beard trimmer collects hairs supposedly as well but I still have to clean the sink before the Mrs complains.)
My biggest issue was that he commented on our conversation that he didn't even understand.

Nowhere did we say anything bad about AC, or that anything else was better.

I like when others can jump into a conversation like that, but he was just being a douche.

And the crew didn't like him either
Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
It's ok, it's Y

The plebs can do anything they want there idc

Lol just kidding
Not only was it Y .. it was Y of the slave ship
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:01 pm

Programs: E50K, Hyatt Platinum, NEXUS/GE, Amex Platinum, CX Gold (till July 2015), Mlife Gold
Worst for me was flying (think it was 876) to FRA last January. Family of 3 (adult daughter, father and grandfather) all in 18, with my boss and I sharing the aisle seats (G/J). The adult daughter was seated in F and elbowed my boss throughout the flight and sneezed on his leg (didn't use a tissue either). I have a smattering of Cantonese, and what my boss was saying about her wasn't nice

Dad was in 18K, and while he didn't didn't act gross, he did treat the FA's like serfs and was laughing like a castrated donkey at whatever he was watching on his IFE.

Grandpa was the best and, joy oh joy, he was beside me. Took off his sandals, and started cleaning his right big toe just before dinner to whet my appetite. I said "Seriously?" and was ignored. Dinner obviously didn't agree with his GI system and he was making no attempt to hide his efforts to break wind. Everyone recognizes the "One Cheek Sneak"...I sure did, since he (as Monty Python said) "F@rted in my general direction". It's very possible he may have "followed through" on one or several of his attempts to pass gas, and he decided to check this by rummaging his left hand quite thoroughly in the crack of his pants (jostling me more than a wee bit), then placing said hand on the armrest we shared.

It gets better, trust me.

As we were all trying to get to sleep, Grandpa decided that he wasn't comfortable, and decided to stretch out, attempting to do so by lifting both his feet over our shared armrest and literally trying to put them in my lap.

That did it for me. I grabbed his feet and tossed them back on his side of the armrest and said "this is my personal space, stay on your bloody side" Dad on the window then tried to scold me about being mean to his father and that his dad wasn't comfortable about flying. I replied to him that his father's disgusting behaviour was making me uncomfortable.

All of the above happened with nary a check-in by any FA, BTW.

Upon arrival in my hotel in Nurnberg about 8 hours later, I literally wanted to burn my clothes and bathe in bleach.

Last edited by Cale905; Jul 14, 2015 at 7:16 pm
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:35 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
YEG-YQR the other day. Its a 1h30min flight. Guy in 2A (2C is open), a 50-something overweight businessman, spends a good 20 minutes trimming his nails before landing in YQR. No attempt to even catch any of the remains.

The guy in 1A, the guy in 1D, the FA in the jumpseat, and I (2D) all gave him dirty looks. He didn't seem to notice and went about his business.

The saddest part- the plane is on a 30 minute turn around in YQR before the nearly 2 hour flight back to YEG. They usually start pre-boarding within 5 minutes of the last pax deplaning, so no time for cleaning. I feel bad for the poor pax that ended up sitting on this guy's nails, and the FA that probably had to try and clean up in YQR!
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by nave888
YEG-YQR the other day. Its a 1h30min flight. Guy in 2A (2C is open), a 50-something overweight businessman, spends a good 20 minutes trimming his nails before landing in YQR. No attempt to even catch any of the remains.

The guy in 1A, the guy in 1D, the FA in the jumpseat, and I (2D) all gave him dirty looks. He didn't seem to notice and went about his business.

The saddest part- the plane is on a 30 minute turn around in YQR before the nearly 2 hour flight back to YEG. They usually start pre-boarding within 5 minutes of the last pax deplaning, so no time for cleaning. I feel bad for the poor pax that ended up sitting on this guy's nails, and the FA that probably had to try and clean up in YQR!
Wow. Egregious stuff like this really needs to be addressed by the cabin staff with a polite but firm instruction to refrain.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Wow. Egregious stuff like this really needs to be addressed by the cabin staff with a polite but firm instruction to refrain.
As per another thread.

This stuff pisses me off too. It really does.

BUT.

What law is that poorly behaving passenger breaking? And if he/she isn't, then what are the cabin staff to do? What grounds do they have to do something about it?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Cale905
Worst for me was flying (think it was 876) to FRA last January. Family of 3 (adult daughter, father and grandfather) all in 18, with my boss and I sharing the aisle seats (G/J). The adult daughter was seated in F and elbowed my boss throughout the flight and sneezed on his leg (didn't use a tissue either). I have a smattering of Cantonese, and what my boss was saying about her wasn't nice

Dad was in 18K, and while he didn't didn't act gross, he did treat the FA's like serfs and was laughing like a castrated donkey at whatever he was watching on his IFE.

Grandpa was the best and, joy oh joy, he was beside me. Took off his sandals, and started cleaning his right big toe just before dinner to whet my appetite. I said "Seriously?" and was ignored. Dinner obviously didn't agree with his GI system and he was making no attempt to hide his efforts to break wind. Everyone recognizes the "One Cheek Sneak"...I sure did, since he (as Monty Python said) "F@rted in my general direction". It's very possible he may have "followed through" on one or several of his attempts to pass gas, and he decided to check this by rummaging his left hand quite thoroughly in the crack of his pants (jostling me more than a wee bit), then placing said hand on the armrest we shared.

As we were all trying to get to sleep, Grandpa decided that he wasn't comfortable, and decided to stretch out, attempting to do so by lifting both his feet over our shared armrest and literally trying to put them in my lap.

That did it for me. I grabbed his feet and tossed them back on his side of the armrest and said "this is my personal space, stay on your bloody side" Dad on the window then tried to scold me about being mean to his father and that his dad wasn't comfortable about flying. I replied to him that his father's disgusting behaviour was making me uncomfortable.

Upon arrival in my hotel in Nurnberg about 8 hours later, I literally wanted to burn my clothes and bathe in bleach.
Ugh!! That's so gross. Stuff like that is the reason I use hand sanitizer on the armrests and tray. Another reason to keep moving my seat till the last possible moment to try have the adjacent seat empty in an attempt to maximize space and minimize the possibility of any hygenically and socially insensitive seat mates.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 11:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I know this is contentious subject. 1F on my most recent flight 320. Big looking guy. Bare feet on bulkhead. It was gross.

1A same bare feet. But a young female with awesome legs who was wearing boy shorts. Ok maybe that I didn't mind nearly as much

Still unacceptable behavior to me though.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by nave888
I've never really understood why people freak out so much about nail clipping. HOWEVER (before everyone goes nuts) this is disgusting. But I would have the same reaction if he shaved in his seat, or brushed his teeth, or much worse flossed. Who the F decides "you know what, I need to cut my nails, nah, no time, I'll just do it on the plane".

I would've gone apesh*t on this guy. Even more on the son. "If your dad isn't comfortable flying, he shouldn't fly. If putting his disgusting feet up makes him comfortable he can put them in your f*cking lap. I don't know you, I don't know him, nor do I want to, yet somehow he feels it's socially acceptable to prompt me for a goddamn foot massage. Not gonna happen you weirdo now get the F off me." Not the most professional way to handle it, and with my boss on the other side I would've wanted to show restraint, but this is too much, once that physicaly (non-elbow/shoulder) contact is received, anything goes, it's Thunderdome!

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I know this is contentious subject. 1F on my most recent flight 320. Big looking guy. Bare feet on bulkhead. It was gross.

1A same bare feet. But a young female with awesome legs who was wearing boy shorts. Ok maybe that I didn't mind nearly as much

Still unacceptable behavior to me though.
F both of these people. Obviously the cute girl gets a bit of a pass, especially when you think of other things...but bare soles of the feet don't belong on the wall. Ever. I've been told by FAs on Q400s and RJs not to put my feet on the wall in the first row and that's with fairly clean shoes (in YMM lots of people track mud on to the plane, I'm not one of them) but never, EVER have I put bare feet on the wall. On the same topic, when flying to the USA, I know you wanna slip in/out of your shoes, just like not wearing a belt, but can't you wear slip ons? Can't you risk looking stupid for a couple minutes with socks/sandals? Do you really have to put your nasty feet all over the floor and into the x-ray deal etc etc. /rant, tl;dr, feet are gross lol
Old Jul 25, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
I have never understood feet on the wall in bulkhead seats. Just take down your rollaboard during flight and prop your feet on top of it. It is a much more comfortable height and no one cares if you have your feet (bare, socks, shoes, whatever) on top of your own bag.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by lostinthewash
I have never understood feet on the wall in bulkhead seats. Just take down your rollaboard during flight and prop your feet on top of it. It is a much more comfortable height and no one cares if you have your feet (bare, socks, shoes, whatever) on top of your own bag.

Agreed and a great idea that many seem to not want to bother with.

I opted to say nothing to 2D who had his hand down his shorts. I was in 3C and happily moved to the 2 empty 4DF. Had a much better view of the scenery outside the window on my way to LAX.

I won't be so shy the next time.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by drvannostren

Obviously the cute girl gets a bit of a pass, especially when you think of other things...but bare soles of the feet don't belong on the wall. Ever. ... /rant, tl;dr, feet are gross lol
Look at that complete reversal of opinion within a single sentence. Sorry, but anybody putting their bare feet on an airplane bulkhead, any more than up on a restaurant table, is simply not socially acceptable behaviour.

How, because you're sexually attracted to certain people, does that give them a free pass? Others are attracted to big hairy dudes, therefore these guys get a free pass as well? I bet I know your (and Penguin's) answer on this...
Old Jul 25, 2015, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Put your carry-on in front of you on the bulkhead aisle to prop ones ugly, callused, athlete's footed feet... then if turbulence hits and the seatbelt sign goes on... then what...
Old Jul 25, 2015, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

The sad thing is that there are idiots (in addition to resident trolls) here who will disagree with you and would say that the grandpa had everyright to put their legs/feet on your lap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.