Wiki Posts
Search

Preflight drinks in business class

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Asia Miles, SPG Gold (life), HH Gold, Golden Circle Jade
Preflight drinks in business class

Has anyone else been repeatedly having drinks spilled on you and/or your bags during takeoff? I'm on AC1173 right now and ended up with a cup of water on my bag which was under the seat. This is the third time in a year. Maybe the staff should be collecting the preflight drinks before takeoff. I'm just happy it wasn't orange juice.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by pmax
Has anyone else been repeatedly having drinks spilled on you and/or your bags during takeoff? I'm on AC1173 right now and ended up with a cup of water on my bag which was under the seat. This is the third time in a year. Maybe the staff should be collecting the preflight drinks before takeoff. I'm just happy it wasn't orange juice.
I have never had a drink spill on me. I have held the pax drink in my hand on take off if he/she is not doing this.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Only time I get spilled on is when I spill on myself...
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: AC SE
Never had that issue. I've found the flight crews to be pretty good about collecting cups before takeoff and encouraging people to finish up their drink if the cup isn't empty. I've seen more spilled drink issues mid-flight than with the pre-departure drinks.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:48 am

I always finish my drink before take-off.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: *G
I am assuming this was a plastic cup with water in it that was just sitting loose when the aircraft started its take-off roll. At which point, laws of physics being what they are, it stayed still while the aircraft went forward and ended up on the floor. Although I have not seen this very much with cups of liquids, it's very common to see loose items end up in the aisle or a few rows behind at this point.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan, BA blue
The crew should be collecting the drinks before takeoff even if the pax has not finished for this reason.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by oblender
The crew should be collecting the drinks before takeoff even if the pax has not finished for this reason.
What if the crew don't notice the unfinished drink. Here's a novel thought (a) finish your drink before take-off or (b) if you haven't finished your drink be responsible and hold it so that it doesn't fall over.

Why must we always blame others?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:20 am

I never had a PDB spill incident.
I'm surprised the PDB cups were not collected before take off...never seen that either.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
Get a Life. Just drink the cup before take off and don't waste time writing threads like this useless one. Sorry just venting. I traveling over 250,000 miles a year and NO never had anything spilled on myself. I can say I spilled something once on myself but that was my fault.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Never happened to me, but then again it's like 50ml of water/juice so I usually finish it well before takeoff, or I don't order it in the first place.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by agjil
I never had a PDB spill incident.
I'm surprised the PDB cups were not collected before take off...never seen that either.
They're plastic cups. You're allowed to hold them for take-off. If you're drinking before landing, they transfer it to a plastic cup so that you can keep it for landing.

I've never seen one spill, but I have put my hand on my seat-mate's cup during the take-off roll on more than one occasion.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Only once have I seen a spectacular spill where the pre-flight drinks FA had a full tray of bubbly and juice... and it was dropped with big crash of glass and liquids everywhere
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by Silvercity
Get a Life. Just drink the cup before take off and don't waste time writing threads like this useless one. Sorry just venting. I traveling over 250,000 miles a year and NO never had anything spilled on myself. I can say I spilled something once on myself but that was my fault.
Given that the drink in question was a PDB, the spillage must have occured turing take off. Given that the water spilled on OPs bag during take off, one would conclude that the bag was on the floor under the seat in front of him. Given the laws of something, spillage during takeoff would travel backwards. From these, I concluded that the spillage was not due to the OPs drink, but due to the drink of the gentleman in front of him.

One, alas, cannot rescue the falling cup of someone sitting in front of you.

The real mystery though, is if it were from the cup of the person in front of him ... how did 90% of the water not end up on said person?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by pmax
Ya, I see this happen about once a month or so. Sometimes the people this happens to are sitting right in front of me, which means their drink usually ends up all over my pants, and I don't find out until landing because I was asleep when the incident occurred.

I don't really fault the FA's for this, I fault the d-bag traveler, this is basic flying stuff we're talking about here.

Originally Posted by lostinthewash
Given that the drink in question was a PDB, the spillage must have occured turing take off. Given that the water The real mystery though, is if it were from the cup of the person in front of him ... how did 90% of the water not end up on said person?
The drink glasses are usually on the center console between the seats, physics being what it is, the plane acceleration forward means the stationary cup with the liquid in it goes straight backward. The cup hits the lip on the console table, tips over (again straight backward) and the spilled liquid continues to flow straight backward until it spills on the floor and whatever is around the area.

Last edited by jaysona; Jul 6, 2015 at 3:47 pm Reason: eye stil kant spel sumtymez.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.