Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Are the 763 too old?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
Are the 763 too old?

My sample is admittedly very small, but a week ago a friend was on ac92, which was cancelled due to a faulty door; she arrived to EZE 24 hours late. Now I'm on ac810, which has returned to the gate due to a/c issues.

Just bad luck?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by tinchote
My sample is admittedly very small, but a week ago a friend was on ac92, which was cancelled due to a faulty door; she arrived to EZE 24 hours late. Now I'm on ac810, which has returned to the gate due to a/c issues.

Just bad luck?
Just bad luck. The 767 remains my aircraft of choice despite my new love affair with the 787. Glitches and mechanicals are just a part of airline/airplane life. A380's/B747's/B737's/A350's - no airframe is exempt.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you too old?

(Usually the answer is, it depends, right?)
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Just bad luck. The 767 remains my aircraft of choice despite my new love affair with the 787. Glitches and mechanicals are just a part of airline/airplane life. A380's/B747's/B737's/A350's - no airframe is exempt.
Maybe I have just been unusually lucky over the last few years; I have to go more than a hundred flights into the past to find a 4+ hour delay.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger
Are you too old?

(Usually the answer is, it depends, right?)
I'm definitely too old. Otherwise I wouldn't be complaining so much
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm definitely too old. Otherwise I wouldn't be complaining so much
Still, i am older than you.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: AC E50K *G
Some of the 767s which have the old style bins and the bathrooms where you have to hold down the lever for the cold water and the hot water...

Those are far too old!
Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Maybe I have just been unusually lucky over the last few years; I have to go more than a hundred flights into the past to find a 4+ hour delay.
I have to go all the way back to Jan 3 - but that was a 77W - don't think it was too old.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I'd rather fly an old 763 TATL (i.e. YYC/YEG-LON) instead of rogue/77P, so no, not too old.
(though I would rather still fly BA nonstop/AA when I can get C space to use an eVIP.)
Old Jul 3, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
The interiors, yes. The aircraft as far as usage, I don't think so. They probably cost more to operate than they should but that's gonna happen.

Flying YYZ-BOG-YYZ, that aircraft suuuuuuucked.

I'll never understand why they put the headphone jack in a place that reduces seat width, put it ANYWHERE else. Half of them now don't work, you have to pull your headphones out half way to get both ears going. Argh.

The toilet was a disgrace. It was clean, but the walls and everything were busted up, it just sucked. The carpets were frayed and stained, the seats were in a bit of disrepair.

Flew the HD YVR-YYZ before that, what a beast. I was in PE, but man 3-4-3 is deadly. I'd rather see 2-3-2 flying my to BOG than the HD if that were the alternative.

Similar experience on ANA, their 67 was rubbish. It was in better condition than the AC ones I've flown, but the interior was very very old. It wasn't showing it's wear as much, which maybe speaks to the respect the passengers show the aircraft, I'm not sure, but the seats, AVOD, lavs, it all just screamed late 90s.

But in the end I arrived in BOG and HND safe, sound and on time, so who am I to complain
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Fresh from the Royal Canadian Mounted High Horse Police public relations office:

"How dare you complain! Be thankful you got from A to B alive! How dare you!"

You're alive! Yay!

Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Fresh from the Royal Canadian Mounted High Horse Police public relations office:

"How dare you complain! Be thankful you got from A to B alive! How dare you!"

You're alive! Yay!

In fairness, this isn't really a 'complaining' kind of thread.

As for the OP, I don't think they're too old, just old. And that's not necessarily a bad thing! I still enjoy the 767 even though I've seen fewer of them lately.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ffsim
In fairness, this isn't really a 'complaining' kind of thread.

As for the OP, I don't think they're too old, just old. And that's not necessarily a bad thing! I still enjoy the 767 even though I've seen fewer of them lately.
Compared to many other first world airlines, AC's 763s aren't that old.

In any case, if you weren't sure, I was being tongue in cheek... sorta.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by yyznomad
In any case, if you weren't sure, I was being tongue in cheek... sorta.
The RCMHHP kinda gave that away
Old Jul 3, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
I was flying LHR-YEG a few weeks back and it was a a 767. It had seen better days for sure. The need some interior love. All the panels were off around he toilet, lots of cracked plastic, red tape everywhere...

They are comfortable planes even in Y, however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.