Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying J to HKG: BR or AC?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2015, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: E50K, Hyatt Platinum, NEXUS/GE, Amex Platinum, CX Gold (till July 2015), Mlife Gold
Flying J to HKG: BR or AC?

Hi All,

I am heading to HKG on business near the end of August for 2 weeks. I will be flying J class. Non-stop isn't essential, so I'm looking at either AC (through YVR) or BR (through TPE). Does the BR business class product have lie-flat beds? Their website isn't clear as to what the seats are like in J for them.

I've flown the 77H "Suite" config, and while it's not as comfortable as the classic pods, I had no real issues sleeping or getting comfortable. Just wondering what the seasoned FT vets here would suggest

Thanks!

Cale
Old May 5, 2015, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
This is not even close.

Just note that HKG-TPE will not have flat beds for that hour long flight.

This should shed some light on the route, as you see, it makes Air Canada look rather pathetic.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23126844-post4.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23128491-post6.html
Old May 5, 2015, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Cale905
Hi All,

I am heading to HKG on business near the end of August for 2 weeks. I will be flying J class. Non-stop isn't essential, so I'm looking at either AC (through YVR) or BR (through TPE). Does the BR business class product have lie-flat beds? Their website isn't clear as to what the seats are like in J for them.

I've flown the 77H "Suite" config, and while it's not as comfortable as the classic pods, I had no real issues sleeping or getting comfortable. Just wondering what the seasoned FT vets here would suggest

Thanks!

Cale
Based on your location, you are flying out of YYZ, yes? If so, there's no way in a million years, unless I was paid to fly on AC, to fly AC instead of BR.

Fly BR. Best decision you'll ever make. While I was referring to a few other things, here's my review about the differences:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23913489-post1.html
Old May 5, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
If you are not fussed about nonstop and you don't care about AC metal requirements for Altitude, then BR, especially ex YYZ.
Old May 5, 2015, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: E50K, Hyatt Platinum, NEXUS/GE, Amex Platinum, CX Gold (till July 2015), Mlife Gold
Already reached my AC-metal min requirement, so that isn't an issue. I know the flight will take longer, but 12-13 hours is the longest I can deal with for one single flight. The connection actually gives me a chance to stretch my legs.

Glad to see that it's a lie-flat bed between YYZ-TPE. With regards to lounges in HKG, am I still allowed to use the TG or UA lounge as a Star Gold member?
Old May 5, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Glad to see that it's a lie-flat bed between YYZ-TPE. With regards to lounges in HKG, am I still allowed to use the TG or UA lounge as a Star Gold member?
Better, BR uses the Virgin Clubhouse.
Old May 5, 2015, 2:00 pm

You will find BR's lowest business fare about 10% cheaper than AC.

If your schedule permits, on your return, take a morning HKG-TPE flight and you get a free half day afternoon tour of TPE.

http://go2taiwan.net/free_half_day_tour.php

Good personal experience with this airline. BR's pod is newer and superior in design to AC's ageing pod that first entered service circa 2006. Yes, BR's pod is lie-flat.

Last edited by Clipper801; May 5, 2015 at 2:15 pm
Old May 5, 2015, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
If you choose not to use the Virgin Clubhouse lounge which is hands down the best IME, then as a *G member you can use the TG or UA lounge, not sure why you would want to though
Old May 5, 2015, 2:14 pm

I like AC's Pods but BR's product is just as good in every way. Service was exceptional and the flights were very enjoyable.
Old May 5, 2015, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Have been to Taipei before with my wife (she lived there for two years, teaching English). Not sure how much time I will stay over for, but it's tempting. We rented scooters last time we were there...that would be fun to do again =)
Old May 5, 2015, 2:23 pm

Paid J? BR for better hardware/software and Rimowa kit (I don't care for Krug)
or CX J if you want something different

Aeroplan J? BR for no YQ, if you can find space (only releases 2 weeks out now)
Old May 5, 2015, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerryhung

Aeroplan J? BR for no YQ, if you can find space (only releases 2 weeks out now)
Paid J (company is willing to pay for up to PY, and I'm paying the difference to fly J). Worth it to me so I'm well-rested. I only need another 15K miles to requalify for 50K, so even if I fly PY, I'm still good for next year...unless there are changes a-comin' from AC
Old May 5, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jerryhung
I believe Krug is gone now (BR) based on what others have reported. Unlike what others have suggested, if you are flying paid J, I would suggest you go with NH, then use miles to do *A mileage upgrade on the return to NH F. NH C is fairly comparable to BR C especially now that BR no longer serves Krug. You will have to connect in ORD but since you said you don't mind connection and NH F will blow any of these business class products out of solar system and would only be possible if you are flying paid business class ticket.
Old May 5, 2015, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guava
I believe Krug is gone now (BR) based on what others have reported. Unlike what others have suggested, if you are flying paid J, I would suggest you go with NH, then use miles to do *A mileage upgrade on the return to NH F. NH C is fairly comparable to BR C especially now that BR no longer serves Krug. You will have to connect in ORD but since you said you don't mind connection and NH F will blow any of these business class products out of solar system and would only be possible if you are flying paid business class ticket.
Have flown NH from NRT-IAD (re-scheduled after I missed my connection going HKG-NRT-YYZ). Even though I was only in Y class, I got a comp upgrade to J based on my *G status. Beds weren't completely lie-flat, but was still a sweet ride (other than dealing with an ear infection...that part wasn't so fun). Just went to the NH website. It looks like they've upgraded their J product to what AC has in the 77H. Only problem is that, using NH, I would be looking at 2 connections rather than one. That being said, I could always stay a night in Tokyo to check it out. That makes NH on the return a decent option

When you mention *A upgrade, are you talking about using miles to upgrade to F, or will they comp me?
Old May 5, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Not sure why you mention the YVR stop.
If flying from YYZ, then yes, I would prefer BR to AC.
If flying via YVR, BR does not offer lie-flat, only slopey seats.
It would be a tough decision between the AC slaveship YVR-HKG which offers lie flat,
but very cramped, or BR with slopeies, but better soft product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.