Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Canada's new ETA system and Air Canada's dual-citizen passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada's new ETA system and Air Canada's dual-citizen passengers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:32 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Cool Ya, Inconsistent At Best...

Originally Posted by WestonC
Similar - but different. First time applying for NEXUS I only had my Canadian passport that was valid. When I received my renewed Euro passport I took it to a NEXUS office and was told by both US and Canada that they don't care about it and it did not need to be registered. Interestingly I am going for a NEXUS renewal interview in August and will be taking both of my passports to see what they say. I did ring NEXUS during the renewal process online and asked if I can enter my second passport as it was not allowing me to and I was told there is no need for that. Hmmm - where is the consistency?
The funny part to me is that GE/Nexus, I don't think that I have ACTUALLY shown either my Canadian or US Passport to ANYONE (Customs/INS) in the last 5 years!!!

I hand the them GE/Nexus slip of paper from the kiosk & all I ever hear is "Thank you"...
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
The funny part to me is that GE/Nexus, I don't think that I have ACTUALLY shown either my Canadian or US Passport to ANYONE (Customs/INS) in the last 5 years!!!

I hand the them GE/Nexus slip of paper from the kiosk & all I ever hear is "Thank you"...
You've never precleared at YVR then

YYZ is the only place I consistently get through without having to show a document.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
YYZ is the only place I consistently get through without having to show a document.
Arriving regularly from Europe at YYZ I would estimate that about 30% of the time there are CBSA agents pre-checking passports as soon as you get off the plane. I have never tried showing my NEXUS card instead since what's the point of getting hassled.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Geoflying
Arriving regularly from Europe at YYZ I would estimate that about 30% of the time there are CBSA agents pre-checking passports as soon as you get off the plane. I have never tried showing my NEXUS card instead since what's the point of getting hassled.
Ah I was referring to preclearing US customs, but sure.

I've had two international arrivals into YYZ, and both times, they were checking passports.

But they see that I'm Canadian and that the photo matches my face and let me by. Whereas they seem to study any foreign passports a lot more carefully.
Old May 4, 2015, 10:58 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
You've never precleared at YVR then

Traveled in & of YVR 20+ times in the last 5 years (mom lives there)...

If you mean showing it BEFORE to the security folks in the Nexus line, then yes. In terms of showing it to US Customs & Immigration, I don't think they have EVER asked to see it...
Old May 4, 2015, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffsim
You definitely have to list all passports you hold at the time of the application. That is correct.
They asked me if I had another citizenship, but I do not believe they registered my second passport. I don't believe they asked my wife, who also has two, but not the same as mine, and could get another two (but does not really want to and does not need to).
Old May 4, 2015, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
Traveled in & of YVR 20+ times in the last 5 years (mom lives there)...

If you mean showing it BEFORE to the security folks in the Nexus line, then yes. In terms of showing it to US Customs & Immigration, I don't think they have EVER asked to see it...
In YVR, you go to the GE machine, then line up to see an officer where they look at everything. Every time I have not immediately handed over my passport, they ask for my passport.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Exclamation Problems for dual-citizens from Visa-Waiver countries

While this may have been alluded to previously an aspect of Canada's new ETA system may not be clear to many of us who have dual-citizenship.

This is made clear by Kristen Shane in yesterday's edition of EmbassyNews.ca

http://www.embassynews.ca/news/2016/...y-screen/48250

Essentially it means that a Canadian Citizen with dual-nationality from a visa-waiver country must have a Canadian Passport to enter/re-enter Canada. This is because as Canadian Citizens they are not allowed to apply for and be granted an ETA. This in effect precludes most western European countries' citizens who also have Canadian Citizenship from ever entering Canada without a Canadian Passport.

It is interesting to note that this is similar to the U.S. rules whereby dual U.S. citizens must enter the U.S. only on their American Passports.

It is very much a matter of opinion as to whether or not the example quoted whereby a dual British/Canadian renewed her passports for alternate terms of validity was/is a wise choice.

With Canadian Passports now also being available for ten year terms it makes no sense to not always have a current one - as well as whatever other nationality to which we may be entitled.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
In YVR, you go to the GE machine, then line up to see an officer where they look at everything. Every time I have not immediately handed over my passport, they ask for my passport.
Same here. YVR is my home airport and when flying out transborder, after using the GE machine at pre-clearance and handing over my slip and Nexus card, the officer always asks for my passport. Every time.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by TemboOne
While this may have been alluded to previously an aspect of Canada's new ETA system may not be clear to many of us who have dual-citizenship.

This is made clear by Kristen Shane in yesterday's edition of EmbassyNews.ca

http://www.embassynews.ca/news/2016/...y-screen/48250

Essentially it means that a Canadian Citizen with dual-nationality from a visa-waiver country must have a Canadian Passport to enter/re-enter Canada. This is because as Canadian Citizens they are not allowed to apply for and be granted an ETA. This in effect precludes most western European countries' citizens who also have Canadian Citizenship from ever entering Canada without a Canadian Passport.

It is interesting to note that this is similar to the U.S. rules whereby dual U.S. citizens must enter the U.S. only on their American Passports.

It is very much a matter of opinion as to whether or not the example quoted whereby a dual British/Canadian renewed her passports for alternate terms of validity was/is a wise choice.

With Canadian Passports now also being available for ten year terms it makes no sense to not always have a current one - as well as whatever other nationality to which we may be entitled.
I'd agree with you very much that it's wise for a dual national to ensure that both passports are valid rather than alternating. (which seems like a minor cost savings in the great scheme of things). I can see a circumstance where a renewal is in process and emergency travel is required, but both UK and Canada do offer expedited passport renewals, albeit at a premium cost. (Interestingly though, I renewed my UK passport earlier this month in London on the same day service & the cost was not much more than the renewing it via courier from Canada option.)

This issue does seem to be more of a problem for dual citizens living abroad, rather than in Canada. If I let my UK passport lapse I can still travel to and from UK on my Canadian one. Safest thing to do of course is to have both passports & carry them both when travelling.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Thanks for sharing the article. I agree that there'll be an adaptation period as travellers get used to the eTA and we'll definitely hear about tough lessons being learnt. But this extract from the article is important in bringing the dual-citizen question into context:

The immigration department has said: "Canadian citizens are not eligible to apply for an eTA because the government does not screen them. By law, Canadian citizens, including those who are also citizens of a visa-exempt country, have the right to enter and remain in Canada."
If a dual-citizen can prove they are Canadian, they will be allowed to enter Canada with or without a passport. Obviously, having a valid passport is the easiest way to prove this, but the Government of Canada's own website clearly states that passports are not required for Canadian citizens to be allowed entry into Canada:

The Government of Canada recommends that Canadian citizens travel with a valid Canadian passport because it is the only reliable and universally accepted travel and identification document available to Canadians for the purpose of international travel.

International transportation companies such as airlines may require travellers to present a passport before boarding. Canadian citizens may face delays or may not be allowed to board the plane or other conveyance if they present other documents
Note that "recommends" is not the same as "requires."

All that being said, the question is whether a dual-citizen would be allowed to board a flight to Canada without an eTA if they use their other passport. Using the lady in the article as an example, would she be allowed to board the flight in the UK with her UK passport and then 'try her luck' convincing CBSA agents that she's Canadian once she lands? Or will she be prevented boarding in the UK because she doesn't have an eTA? Will check-in agents be given the ability to verify the validity of an eTA? I'm having a hard time finding the answers to these questions as the eTA website focuses mainly on the process of obtaining one without delving too far into the back-office procedures.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by ffsim
Thanks for sharing the article. I agree that there'll be an adaptation period as travellers get used to the eTA and we'll definitely hear about tough lessons being learnt. But this extract from the article is important in bringing the dual-citizen question into context:

If a dual-citizen can prove they are Canadian, they will be allowed to enter Canada with or without a passport. Obviously, having a valid passport is the easiest way to prove this, but the Government of Canada's own website clearly states that passports are not required for Canadian citizens to be allowed entry into Canada:

Note that "recommends" is not the same as "requires."

All that being said, the question is whether a dual-citizen would be allowed to board a flight to Canada without an eTA if they use their other passport. Using the lady in the article as an example, would she be allowed to board the flight in the UK with her UK passport and then 'try her luck' convincing CBSA agents that she's Canadian once she lands? Or will she be prevented boarding in the UK because she doesn't have an eTA? Will check-in agents be given the ability to verify the validity of an eTA? I'm having a hard time finding the answers to these questions as the eTA website focuses mainly on the process of obtaining one without delving too far into the back-office procedures.
You raise an interesting point. It has been possible to enter Canada on another passport, as a Canadian using some other proof of citizenship. I did this when travelling in the period after just having become a Canadian citizen and receiving a Canadian passport. (Actually left for the UK on the evening of the day I attended the citizenship ceremony & swore the oath!). I used my citizen card (which they don't give out anymore) and UK PP. In theory a drivers licence or something similar and a UK PP would work just as well. But will the ETA hurdle prevent this from working as you will not be able to apply for an ETA & be denied boarding without it? Hmmm...
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Canada's new ETA; do we relly know all the facts yet?

It seems that we run the risk of splitting hairs here folks. Canadian Citizens who present proof of their identity and citizenship at a port of entry will be admitted to Canada - even with an expired passport.

However, there is no such guarantee that Canadians with an expired Canadian Passport will be permitted to board a Canada bound flight overseas, and as Canadians, if they are dual citizens, they do not qualify to use the ETA system on a foreign passport from a visa-waiver country. Certainly the airlines will not board a passenger without proper documentation as they don't want to be on the hook for returning anyone refused entry!

It's a bit of a catch 22 situation in that Canadians can "get in" with an expired passport - but need to find some way to reach a port of entry to do so!

Airlines in general have to go by the book and will not run the risk of cost plus potential fines for carry a passenger without proper documentation!
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
It seems that we run the risk of splitting hairs here folks. Canadian Citizens who present proof of their identity and citizenship at a port of entry will be admitted to Canada - even with an expired passport.

However, there is no such guarantee that Canadians with an expired Canadian Passport will be permitted to board a Canada bound flight overseas, and as Canadians, if they are dual citizens, they do not qualify to use the ETA system on a foreign passport from a visa-waiver country. Certainly the airlines will not board a passenger without proper documentation as they don't want to be on the hook for returning anyone refused entry!

It's a bit of a catch 22 situation in that Canadians can "get in" with an expired passport - but need to find some way to reach a port of entry to do so!

Airlines in general have to go by the book and will not run the risk of cost plus potential fines for carry a passenger without proper documentation!
It's not splitting hairs at all -- I think I didn't express myself properly.

I never suggested boarding a flight with an expired Canadian passport; I suggested boarding it with a valid passport of the other country. Again, from the example in the article, the lady would board with her UK passport. That's how she would "reach a port of entry."

When you say "certainly the airlines will not board a passenger without proper documentation" of course that makes sense logically, but only if the operating airline can determine (1) existence of an eTA and (2) the validity of said eTA.

I can't find any confirmation that a check-in agent of, for example, British Airways would be able to determine if a person checking in for a flight to Canada with a UK passport has obtained an eTA. Hence my questions above and AtlanticXpat's response.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Frame it a different way, if one is a citizen of >=2 countries, why wouldn't one want to have valid passports for all their nationalities? It seems to me that one would simply be asking for trouble if he/she were to let their passports expire (unless he/she never travels -- and in that case, the individual wouldn't be here posting ) especially if one is required to re-enter a country with that country's passport (valid or expired).

Really, it's the "price to pay" if one has more than one nationality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.