Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Reward Flight Cancelled mid trip - options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle

Hello

I was ticketed to fly on Air India, Business Class (I inventory bucket - Aeroplan Award) MLE-BLR-DEL inside a mini RTW.

AI has cancelled AI 266 MLE-BLR with 14 days notice and 2 days before our travel starts. Notification was via voicemail to one of the two travelling parties.

There do not appear to be alternate flights that don't involve 3+ segments, 35 hours of travel, and overnights in random places in India.

What are my options?

Am I eligible for any hotel vouchers if the re-book lands me nowhere?

I was looking at https://www.aircanada.com/en/agents_...nge_policy.pdf but don't know if it applies to reward tickets - although I bucket is mentioned.

I would like to go on OAL (another airline) like Sri Lankan MLE-CMB-DEL in a revenue bucket, but don't know if I can press for this? There is an interline agreement between the two but I don't know if Aeroplan is limited to Star Alliance only.

On hold 60 mins already.

Help?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't believe they are obliged to rebook on on-Star alliance airlines in the case of rewards.

At least that used to be the wording in the tariffs when the tariffs still mentioned rewards. Can only have got worse since, surely no better.

Investigate options and ask for the least painful. Assuming cancellation is not an option.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
The only obligation AE has is to rebook you on award space on Star Alliance that is available, or they can call a Star Airline (limited options here - but MLE-SIN-DEL may be an option) to open up space, or offer you a refund of the unflown portion.

Another outcome in your situation would be rebook you for the day after/ahead - because the flight seems to have been discontinued on just one day. This will not depend on award space, they can get AI to open it up. Chances are you actually are already reprotected on next days flight.

They will not rebook you on a non-star airline on an award ticket.

As a last resort - buy a ticket to CMB, and get Aeroplan to rebook you CMB-DEL on AI.

And no, you are not eligible for hotel vouchers from AC - you can try Air India, but good luck with them, they may give you the airport hotel in MLE.
I was delayed 14 hours last week on AI, and didnt even get meals.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:35 pm

Cancelled for that day or cancelled completely? You should be protected for the following day if former, or they should have already rebooked you if the latter
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Thank you to the hard core regulars here for the sound advice.

I was re-protected on two flights in available AI reward inventory on the same date.

Of note, the electronic ITIN on Manage my Bookings on www.aircanada.com showed my original flights, protection on original date of travel AND a second date of travel on a different routing in both I (reward) and a K (revenue fare). I ended up staying with the original date of travel. The Aeroplan website was unable to show my itin.

One flight was in a single class of service cabin, and is thus a downgrade to economy. I have been advised to submit boarding stubs for a fixed compensation offering from Aeroplan after travel has been completed.

Not ideal circumstances but its better than being completely stuck.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73

One flight was in a single class of service cabin, and is thus a downgrade to economy. I have been advised to submit boarding stubs for a fixed compensation offering from Aeroplan after travel has been completed.

Not ideal circumstances but its better than being completely stuck.

So are you now going via MAA?

Make sure to check in online to the AI flight - you can get an exit row for free at OLCI,
and goes without saying, enter your AE number to earn miles on the revenue portion.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
So are you now going via MAA?

Make sure to check in online to the AI flight - you can get an exit row for free at OLCI,
and goes without saying, enter your AE number to earn miles on the revenue portion.
Thanks Rankourabu - I'm headed via MAA. I will definitely try on the check in - although my booking is showing in X/I fare classes. . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.