Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Not a good start to Premium Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not a good start to Premium Economy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

For the free downgrade at no extra charge?
Oh Ken. People who don't follow your posts on here would really lose their mind reading your posts. I, for one, laugh wholeheartedly when you post. Awesome stuff ^
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:57 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I think your question shows why there's a problem.

These numbers are somewhat made up, but reflect what I've seen on AC.com several times:

Tango: $1100
Flex: $2000
Latitude: $3000
Premium Economy (lowest): $1175

What fare difference do you want refunded? At most, you'd be entitled to $75. But you were probably rebooked into Flex.

Now, I'm not saying this is reasonable, but the pricing doesn't make it easy to give a refund.
Thanks for the example. I guess they should then at least allow you to cancel for a full refund in the downgrade case. Is this the case?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arf04
That's what I'm thinking here too--that it's not unreasonable to expect to re accommodated on another airline, especially in an irops situation.
Not just unreasonable. So say the tariffs.

And a contract is a contract. But then they believe they are above the law. and a bunch of whimps let them get away with it. So why wouldn't they try?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I agree with Sean....I'd threaten filing an EU claim if they don't get you in PE or J.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
I guess they should then at least allow you to cancel for a full refund in the downgrade case. Is this the case?

It seems some of you missed a few minor details about what happened when AC swapped out the 788 for aircraft without a PE cabin.

So, reposting with a little bit of bold.

Originally Posted by 24left
A year ago, AC had a pretty decent Europe promo mileage bonus with an extra bump if you bought PE or J. So I bought PE tickets to LHR for seats on the new 788.

One day, I was checking the AC.com site and saw that PE was no longer available on my flight, and that the equipment was switched to a 330. I was mildly annoyed as AC NEVER called or sent me an email, advising that the cabin where I purchased seats was no longer available.

I called AC and the agent who answered was unfamiliar with what to do, put me on hold, probably called the resource desk etc etc. He comes back and says yes, there was a change and you can sit in Y and we'll refund you $400.

I don't think so.

I paid substantially more for a PE seat and the refund of $400 would still meant that I would have overpaid for a Y seat relative to what I would have paid had I wished to buy Y in the first place at the time of booking.

I said no and was given a full refund.

It was only sheer luck that I noticed the equipment change. There have been numerous posts on this forum form those who were not notified and thus did not know in advance and by the time they did find out, it was too late to cancel and book something else.

My experience was a year ago and AC now has 8 - 788s. It is not a large number, and yes, eventually the 789s will arrive. There will always be equipment swaps for whatever reason and seasonal route adjustments.

If I buy PE, I check the flight frequently to see if there was a swap, and yes, I am well aware some can be last-minute. Beyond that, maybe for some pax it is too risky to buy PE unless they can be sure their seats will still be there why they fly.

So,
If AC is offering to sell a seat in a cabin which is then not available at flight time, you need to tell those who bought the seats. There are only 21 of them. How hard can it be?

(obviously just a minor hassle if you're have not begun your trip. Kind of SOL if you're overseas and the inbound aircraft is not what was planned and your seat is n/a then, but I'm with Mr. Peever on the EU rule)

I.M.H.O.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:42 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Thanks for the bolding, missed it been a busy posting day!
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:43 pm

So,
If AC is offering to sell a seat in a cabin which is then not available at flight time, you need to tell those who bought the seats. There are only 21 of them. How hard can it be?
How often does AC notify any passenger of any change in advance? Extremely rare in my experience. So, it must be VERY hard from AC's perspective.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
I called AC and the agent who answered was unfamiliar with what to do, put me on hold, probably called the resource desk etc etc. He comes back and says yes, there was a change and you can sit in Y and we'll refund you $400.

I don't think so.

I paid substantially more for a PE seat and the refund of $400 would still meant that I would have overpaid for a Y seat relative to what I would have paid had I wished to buy Y in the first place at the time of booking.

I said no and was given a full refund.
But you still had to purchase a new ticket at the prevailing cost which likely would be higher in Y than if you had purchased that cabin originally?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by robsaw
How often does AC notify any passenger of any change in advance? Extremely rare in my experience. So, it must be VERY hard from AC's perspective.

Everything is hard.

There was a similar debate in another thread with comments suggesting that if PE cabin is n/a, AC should offer upgrade to J. None of us are naive to think the seas will part, Moses will show up and we all get PE=J

I'm just suggesting they figure it out and not be silly and offer me a $400 refund on a seat that I bought while putting me in a seat that costs way less than the difference in prices.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Thanks for the example. I guess they should then at least allow you to cancel for a full refund in the downgrade case. Is this the case?
They do allow full refund. This downgrade has happened to me2X and both times I took the full refund.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:57 pm
Suspended

And a separate special thanks to Ken Hammer and Sean Peever, for their brilliant humorous contributions today.

Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
But you still had to purchase a new ticket at the prevailing cost which likely would be higher in Y than if you had purchased that cabin originally?

I actually did not purchase other tickets to LHR with AC.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:07 pm
Suspended

AC has stated in no uncertain terms that they consider PE to be equivalent to Flex fare (not even latitude) on a SDC. Using that reasoning, same would apply to a downgauge. Their reasoning? Fare price paid. Lol. So next time you get a cheap J fare you might see yourself being moved to Y because "your original fare is so cheap, why would you expect anything else!"

Of course that's total and utter nonsense, but I gave up fighting with these idiots about it as in my case it only involved some eUPs.

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 29, 2015 at 10:26 pm
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:30 pm
Suspended

As for this thread, I am just saying there is no point expecting anything other than a downgrade when purchasing PY, based on AC's published position.

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 29, 2015 at 10:24 pm
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Just to lighten the mood

Thanks for all the posts and information. I thought I would lighten the mood a bit with this. Enjoy ...

http://youtu.be/BMAV4xjnLQQ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.