Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Flying Singapore (SIN) to Ottawa (YOW)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

I have a possible business trip coming up in the middle of the year. I have to get myself from Singapore to Ottawa, Canada.

The current plan is to fly Singapore to LHR on SQ, and then onward on Air Canada from LHR to Ottawa. Flights will be on business class.

I am familiar with SQ but not so familiar with Air Canada.

Any views on this flight from LHR to YOW, or alternatively if you have other ideas on how I can get from SIN to YOW, please share your thoughts.

Comments most appreciated.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by iluvcruising2
I have a possible business trip coming up in the middle of the year. I have to get myself from Singapore to Ottawa, Canada.

The current plan is to fly Singapore to LHR on SQ, and then onward on Air Canada from LHR to Ottawa. Flights will be on business class.

Any views on this flight from LHR to YOW, or alternatively if you have other ideas on how I can get from SIN to YOW, please share your thoughts.

Before this becomes a bashing AC thread What are you in particular looking for? Feedback about hard/soft product? How different is it from SQ? Etc, I think that would help many in their replies.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Before this becomes a bashing AC thread What are you in particular looking for? Feedback about hard/soft product? How different is it from SQ? Etc, I think that would help many in their replies.
Well, feedback in general on Air Canada Business class. Anything that I can take note of. I'm also not sure what aircraft they operate on the LHR to YOW route.

If there are alternative (or better routes) to get to Ottawa, I'm also happy to hear them. I sincerely hope this does not become a bashing Air Canada thread!
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:54 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
You could also go in the other direction

SIN-HKG-YYZ-YOW
or SIN-PVG, SIN-NRT, etc.

if you want to try the new 787, you could go SIN-NRT-YVR-YOW

SQ J is ahead of AC J. It isn't bad by any means, but expect a step down from SQ
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lcohen999
You could also go in the other direction

SIN-HKG-YYZ-YOW
or SIN-PVG, SIN-NRT, etc.

if you want to try the new 787, you could go SIN-NRT-YVR-YOW

SQ J is ahead of AC J. It isn't bad by any means, but expect a step down from SQ
Thanks. This is an interesting thought. Not sure if it is possible to fly SIN to YOW via Europe, and then fly back to SIN via the Pacific. I will check to see if that is workable. Does it usually cost more for such an itinerary?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Thanks. This is an interesting thought. Not sure if it is possible to fly SIN to YOW via Europe, and then fly back to SIN via the Pacific. I will check to see if that is workable. Does it usually cost more for such an itinerary?
It is best to fly over the Pacific to YOW and back over Europe. This way, you are flying with the wind, shortening your flights a lot.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
It is best to fly over the Pacific to YOW and back over Europe. This way, you are flying with the wind, shortening your flights a lot.
That is a good point.

However, a friend mentioned that flying westwards is better for jet lag. Is that true?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: AC SEMM

However, a friend mentioned that flying westwards is better for jet lag. Is that true?
I believe there is no one right answer to that. I am really good at sleeping on planes so I actually find eastbound red-eyes of at least 7 hours duration enable me to kill jet lag altogether whereas I find myself fading early in the evening for about 3 days after flying westbound.

Others have completely the opposite experience.

You are flying halfway round the world so, other than the total journey time differing because of the earth's rotation, I don't see there being much difference. However there are others on this board who do that trip all the time and may have alternative opinions!!
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:03 am

Stick with your current plan. 1 stop via LHR. Lots of protection either way in the case of IRROPS.
There is no point to add stops, add a busy airport, add duration, increase risk of delays to fly a certain a/c type when travelling for business, IMO.

Enjoy your flights and time in Ottawa.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
Agree. SIN-LHR on SQ A380, LHR-YOW on AC is most direct.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:13 am

I know it's moot when it's PAID BUSINESS trip, but for award booking, usually EVA Air is great (no YQ)
SIN-TPE-YYZ-YOW
Their new J in 77W are great, and it's "evening" flights if you care about timing
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by gtpdiddy
Agree. SIN-LHR on SQ A380, LHR-YOW on AC is most direct.
I think this is operated by a 767. Flying via YYZ might be worth it for the updated cabin AC J is not that bad. TBH I would probably fly via FRA to JFK all in SQ and then onto YOW
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
I think this is operated by a 767. Flying via YYZ might be worth it for the updated cabin AC J is not that bad.
My company expects resources to get where they need to be as efficiently as possible. If we added a stop for personal benefit (e.g., more miles, better product) and it resulted in late arrival or missing client meeting, there would be hell to pay.
TBH I would probably fly via FRA to JFK all in SQ and then onto YOW
There is no JFKYOW service. Can't imagine a cab from JFK to LGA would be all that delightful for people who have things to do and places to be
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
That is a good point.

Yes, if you are going to Europe from N. America, but Asia to N. America jet lag is not that much of a big deal. Also, jet lag is based on time difference, not direction.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
I think this is operated by a 767. Flying via YYZ might be worth it for the updated cabin AC J is not that bad.
My company expects resources to get where they need to be as efficiently as possible. If we added a stop for personal benefit (e.g., more miles, better product) and it resulted in late arrival or missing client meeting, there would be hell to pay.
TBH I would probably fly via FRA to JFK all in SQ and then onto YOW
There is no JFKYOW service. Can't imagine a cab from JFK to LGA would be all that delightful for people who have things to do and places to be
Someone did not eat thier Cherrios this morning. Seriously that is bar fast the best quality routing. So you have a cab to catch but in one shot you get from SIN-JFK chances of being late are reduced as well maybe the OP can arrive early and check out New York.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.