Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YQB VIP Lounge Access for J passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

This is my first post in this forum but I have been reading it for many years and finally decided to start contributing.

Back in January, I found out the hard way that under normal circumstances, without E50K status, we do not have access to the VIP lounge in YQB when travelling in J. From what I understand by reading this forum and through AC web site that when on a J itinerary, except for the COS bonus and the cabin we are seated in, the whole itinerary is considered in J so it would be expected that we get access to the VIP lounge. Just like we would be allowed in a MLL.

The funny thing is that when looking at YQB website, the very first condition for free access to the VIP lounge is to be travelling in business class with AC. http://www.aeroportdequebec.com/en/a...rt/vip-lounge/. What they really mean is that we can get access to the lounge if travelling in J from YQB but what they fail to mention is that there is no scheduled flights out of YQB with a J cabin. All flights are either on Dash-8 or Q400. Based on that fact, we would think that they mean being on a J itinerary but no, we have to be seated in J out of YQB to qualify! Once at home, I made some research and e-mailed the airport to ask if I was refused access in error and they responded by telling me that the policy was indeed correct and that we need to be seated in J from YQB to qualify. They know that there is no such scheduled flights but sometime, in IRROPS, that happens. they also agree that it is a bad policy but it is not their fault, it is AC's policy as they refuse to pay for J pax unless they are sitting in J out of YQB. They even told me that when such IRROPS happens, AC typically denies any payment for J pax saying that there is no J out of YQB. Then, they need to appeal and say that there was indeed J pax because of IRROPS and then, AC agrees to pay.

After getting that response, I sent an e-mail to AC customer service explaining the situation. I mentioned that when I look at AC web site (http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/oneway/index.html), at the comparison between the fare types, the following is showed when I mouse over the Access to Maple Leaf Lounges question mark: "- Customers travelling on a Business Class (flexible) or Business Class (lowest) fare are eligible for complimentary access to Maple Leaf Lounges, Star Alliance members' business class lounges and other Air Canada contract lounges, where available. ... - Lounge access applies to the departure city, as well as any eligible connection cities, where available.

AC responded by saying that they are sorry about that and they are taking my comment to management. They kindly gave me a 10% discount code for my comment, which I found to be a nice gesture. I was wondering what was the opinion of people on this forum regarding this situation. Maybe Ben L could chip in and tell us why this policy exists and if there is any plans to update it. It seems to be contrary to everything on AC website and contrary to the policy on MLL. I never had any problem getting access to a MLL before boarding a flight in Y on a J itinerary, just the VIP lounge in YQB. I know YQB is different because it is a contracted lounge but still, it should be included.

I think the VIP lounge in YQB is one of the best lounges in Canada and it would be nice if J pax were able to see it. J is expensive enough, the least they can do is to give lounge access. It is not our fault if the planes flying out of YQB does not have a J cabin.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Can't comment on J itinerary vs J segment for lounge eligibility, but as to why this is there, the Q400 was introduced in the last 12-15 months to YQB-YYZ. Prior to that AC was sometimes operating a CRJ-705 which indeed has J seating - so to me part of this is the fact that AC never formally updated their rule when they moved to "exclusive" Q400 service between YQB-YYZ
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Unless I am missing something, they have been operating the Q400 on the YQB-YYZ route since 2010. Maybe not totally exclusively though. Can someone confirm?

The funny thing is that the person I talked to at YQB told me that lounge access used to be allowed for someone on a J itinerary but in the last 2-3 years that changed to only those flying in the J cabin out of YQB.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by DealF1nder
Unless I am missing something, they have been operating the Q400 on the YQB-YYZ route since 2010. Maybe not totally exclusively though. Can someone confirm?

The funny thing is that the person I talked to at YQB told me that lounge access used to be allowed for someone on a J itinerary but in the last 2-3 years that changed to only those flying in the J cabin out of YQB.
YQB-YYZ has been Q400 for quite a while (at least 2011).

And it is true that Lounge access used to be granted as long as you had a J segment on AC in your itinerary. That changed a couple of years ago. And since there is no AC J-cabin aircraft flying out of YQB, lounge access was not possible. It is only recently (less than a year) that AC changed their agreement/contract with this lounge and now Altitude E50K members and up can access the lounge.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan, KLM Flying Blue, Lifemiles
YQB is a funny little airport in that way I find. Just so many quirk rules, and a sleepy little outpost for both AC and WS. However, even without lounge access there is something to be said about showing up for your flight 1 hour before it departs and get through Check-In, Baggage Payment, Oversized Baggage Drop and Security in less than 10 minutes. Not many places you can do that anymore.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pych
YQB is a funny little airport in that way I find. Just so many quirk rules, and a sleepy little outpost for both AC and WS. However, even without lounge access there is something to be said about showing up for your flight 1 hour before it departs and get through Check-In, Baggage Payment, Oversized Baggage Drop and Security in less than 10 minutes. Not many places you can do that anymore.
Where can't you do that?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, KLM Flying Blue, Lifemiles
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Where can't you do that?
Correction, unless you are wearing Zone 1 apparel!
Old Feb 26, 2015, 3:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by pych
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Where can't you do that?
If you have NEXUS/Pre and can get through priority check-in, this is still doable
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pewpew
If you have NEXUS/Pre and can get through priority check-in, this is still doable
That was my point.

Although I sent in a complaint about how crappy the transborder SE check-in lines are at YVR and YYZ.

My last time in YVR, I stood in line for 20 minutes while the economy line was fully served.

But if they actually give priority to the priority lines, 10 minutes to check a bag and get to the gate isn't that difficult.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.