Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Lounge Hopping - How much does it cost AC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE

I have a strange addiction. If it's been a few months since I've gone through an airport and I have time, I need to see the Star Alliance lounges. It's a curiosity thing. As an E35K (and this story is probably one reason why it's not a 2015 benefit...) I opted for the Maple Leaf Club lounge benefit to get access to the lounges.

So last night, I had an hour connection in ORD on a YYZ-ORD-GRR trip. For the one hour I was in ORD, I visited four (4) United Clubs - F terminal, two in terminal B and one in terminal C (sadly, no access to United First lounge... it will remain a mystery).

I was thinking afterwards - did AC have to pay each time I accessed? If so, what would this lounge hopping cost?

Among the four lounges, I spent a total time of less than 10 minutes. There are only so many carrots, ranch dip, and yogurt covered raisins one can eat.

PS - the one in F terminal is the cleanest / most up-to-date.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by tass
I have a strange addiction. If it's been a few months since I've gone through an airport and I have time, I need to see the Star Alliance lounges. It's a curiosity thing. As an E35K (and this story is probably one reason why it's not a 2015 benefit...) I opted for the Maple Leaf Club lounge benefit to get access to the lounges.

So last night, I had an hour connection in ORD on a YYZ-ORD-GRR trip. For the one hour I was in ORD, I visited four (4) United Clubs - F terminal, two in terminal B and one in terminal C (sadly, no access to United First lounge... it will remain a mystery).

I was thinking afterwards - did AC have to pay each time I accessed? If so, what would this lounge hopping cost?

Among the four lounges, I spent a total time of less than 10 minutes. There are only so many carrots, ranch dip, and yogurt covered raisins one can eat.

From what I gather around here, yes AC has to pay. How much? No idea
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
There's been a post/thread on this question before. The number that runs in my head is $25 a visit. I could be wrong of course.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Oh boy... now I feel guilty. So that's $50 for each bag of baby carrots.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:55 am

As a farmers wife I have to comment on the baby carrots- you know they aren't baby carrots right? They are just bigger carrots shaved down into bite size portions? So much waste at the processing plant where they do this- the little town it's in smells like dog pooh- that is apparently the smell of decomposting carrot waste
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:26 am

Airport club hopping is a little out there. Airport club hopping when it involves United Airline Clubs is a on a different level of strange!
You should write the TLC show ... I'll watch for your segment. Maybe they'll put yours between the girl who can't stop eating rocks and the dude who makes out with his car
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
I always use my AC card so they have to pay for lounge stays even when i am flying other airlines. Lets me feel that i am screwing them back like AC does to its customers.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by why fly
AC does to its customers.
Just some customer who proved that they were more trouble than they were worth.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I thought it was odd that the crappiest terminal - basically a glorified 1970s Greyhound station - has by far the best United Club in the whole joint.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:18 am

Don't feel too bad, I expect that the fee arrangement is designed in such a way to only allow 1 charge per airline per day (or airport), so going to 4 UA lounges probably doesn't cost more than going to 1. Going to multiple airline's lounges probably does cost more, but that's different.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Will correct myself... baby cut carrots.

Yes, I admit insanity. The new club in the Greyhound terminal is nice from an interior perspective but the same boring baby cut carrots and crackers. I hope UA pays AC a lot more when UA status pax are admitted to MLLs.

Definitely not out to get AC - have much more appreciation for the offering after seeing those lounges! Maybe they can get a discount off the number of times I went in... 4 admissions for the price of 3?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Yes, I admit insanity. The new club in the Greyhound terminal is nice from an interior perspective but the same boring baby cut carrots and crackers. I hope UA pays AC a lot more when UA status pax are admitted to MLLs.
Oh yeah, I meant strictly in terms of ambience... the offerings are exactly the same at all of them. The one out in the C concourse is pretty good in terms of feeling spacious and open with a good view of the airfield, but it has the super dated early 90s decor that just feels a little run down at this point.

If it's any consolation OP, if I had some time to kill, I'd also lounge hop... although for one hour I'd pick one and just settle in with some Miller Lite and cheese... the United Club lunch of champions
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:45 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by heraclitus
Oh yeah, I meant strictly in terms of ambience... the offerings are exactly the same at all of them. The one out in the C concourse is pretty good in terms of feeling spacious and open with a good view of the airfield, but it has the super dated early 90s decor that just feels a little run down at this point.

If it's any consolation OP, if I had some time to kill, I'd also lounge hop... although for one hour I'd pick one and just settle in with some Miller Lite and cheese... the United Club lunch of champions
Gotta love the UA lounges. Anytime I start feeling like the AC lounges are feeling a little blah, I inevitably find myself in a UA lounge in the US and perspective shifts my ideas.

Miller Lite and cheese... Love it.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:16 pm

Don't feel bad at all. If it makes you feel any better, I do the same thing....and I also have a Priority Pass card and Cathay Diamond. Record so far was 8 lounges at BKK. My wife and I make a sport out of it now!
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by why fly
I always use my AC card so they have to pay for lounge stays even when i am flying other airlines. Lets me feel that i am screwing them back like AC does to its customers.
^^^ I know a couple AC MMs who do the exact same thing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.