Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan booking warning

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: 100K
Aeroplan booking warning

Most of you probably already know this but make sure you check the status of your flight as well as your seat assignment with every single carrier that's on your Aeroplan ticket. Make sure you phone each carrier a couple month before as well as a week or so before the flight to confirm your itin.

I didn't do this on my last trip and was halfway through a connecting flight when I was informed mid travel that one my segments was cancelled- apparently two months ago. The carrier claimed they updated the eticket and contacted Aeroplan two months ago as well.

No email or notice from Aeroplan and the flight was unchanged on the Aeroplan site. When I phoned and inquired about this the Aeroplan agent said something like "Oh ya... looks like that segment was cancelled and moved two months ago."
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:19 am

Pretty standard especially with multi carrier itinerary's..

AE is definitely hit and miss with updates... sometimes a 5min change will trigger a schedule change.. other times when a flight is canceled or moved several days later... nothing.

I called AE about a schedule change on my ticket... they claimed they knew nothing about it. I called Egypt air who confirmed the change (flight went from 7x weekly to 5x weekly). They confirmed it was canceled and told me to contact AC. I called AE back who again denied anything (and the worst part there was space on a better flight that was opened) and they would not allow the change without a fee.

I told them to escalate it to the sched change department. Luckily for them the space remained and they snagged replacement flights to no cost to them selves and I won because I turned a 20h connection into a 38h connection.

But the lack of communication and arrogance at AE is appalling.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hearna
Pretty standard especially with multi carrier itinerary's..

AE is definitely hit and miss with updates... sometimes a 5min change will trigger a schedule change.. other times when a flight is canceled or moved several days later... nothing.

I called AE about a schedule change on my ticket... they claimed they knew nothing about it. I called Egypt air who confirmed the change (flight went from 7x weekly to 5x weekly). They confirmed it was canceled and told me to contact AC. I called AE back who again denied anything (and the worst part there was space on a better flight that was opened) and they would not allow the change without a fee.

I told them to escalate it to the sched change department. Luckily for them the space remained and they snagged replacement flights to no cost to them selves and I won because I turned a 20h connection into a 38h connection.

But the lack of communication and arrogance at AE is appalling.
...aerogance?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Allvest
...aerogance?
yes... something of a mix of incompetence mixed with arrogance, knowing that you as a aeroplan customer can't do much when redeeming aeropesos and just have to put up with whatever aeroplan dishes out.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I always ask for the other metal's locator(s) so I can do my own manual checks, seat selection, etc.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: CX-DM, BA-GGL, Marriott-TI, HHonors-DM
We had a flight last year on SQ booked 6 months out. Flight schedule was changed months before departure but no notice from AE. We arrived at the airport early (due to young child) and was luck that the flight was still open. If we arrived 5 mins later, we would have missed the flight...

So the lesson is always double check your flights.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Thanks for the tip, i have a multi metal flight this saturday so I'll double check.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fa Hz
Thanks for the tip, i have a multi metal flight this saturday so I'll double check.
It may take an extra time... someone times maybe even hours waiting on hold with half a dozen or so different carries but something I'm not going to skip next time- that's for sure.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by rumblefox
Most of you probably already know this but make sure you check the status of your flight as well as your seat assignment with every single carrier that's on your Aeroplan ticket. Make sure you phone each carrier a couple month before as well as a week or so before the flight to confirm your itin.

I didn't do this on my last trip and was halfway through a connecting flight when I was informed mid travel that one my segments was cancelled- apparently two months ago. The carrier claimed they updated the eticket and contacted Aeroplan two months ago as well.

No email or notice from Aeroplan and the flight was unchanged on the Aeroplan site. When I phoned and inquired about this the Aeroplan agent said something like "Oh ya... looks like that segment was cancelled and moved two months ago."
Seriously, though, who doesn't check their flight itinerary the day before they fly??? As much as AE is to blame, you also deserve some responsibility.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by euges116
Seriously, though, who doesn't check their flight itinerary the day before they fly??? As much as AE is to blame, you also deserve some responsibility.
Check where? You read the AP site does not update.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Check where? You read the AP site does not update.
If there is a change the reservation should update on AC.com and not be visible on AP.com (their online system don't know what to do with changes). If there is a change that hasn't been addressed, both the old and proposed replacement flights show up.

I can't guarantee that always works, but I've had AC, UA, US, LH, OZ, NH, TG and LX all change/cancel segments on me and every one has showed up when I check AC.com.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Pretty standard with AE.
If the change is on AC metal - you ll get an update for even a 5 minute change - but on partner metal - you most likely never will get any notification.

On aircanada.com, you can see changes... if you have duplicates or all of a sudden a "1" in the stops column - something has changed and the ticket needs cleaning up - which most of the time you have to initiate
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by euges116
The whole point is I did check my itin with Aeroplan - the ticketing agent. They didn't update the itin correctly. If they were a normal travel agency they'd be out of business with this level of service.

So the warning is don't trust Aeroplan, verify your hotel, flight or whatever directly with the carrier.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by rumblefox
The whole point is I did check my itin with Aeroplan - the ticketing agent. They didn't update the itin correctly. If they were a normal travel agency they'd be out of business with this level of service.

So the warning is don't trust Aeroplan, verify your hotel, flight or whatever directly with the carrier.
Agree, don't trust Aeroplan. But since the ticket is actually issued by AC you should definitely check Air Canada as described above.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:57 am

Schedule changes show up on AirCanada.com fine.

No idea why Aeroplan.com doesn't just piggyback/redirect off that instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.