Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

116 Layoffs at AP announced; 18% of workforce

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

116 Layoffs at AP announced; 18% of workforce

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Enhancements abound!

I feel bad cuz people are losing jobs. I'm lucky to have never been "downsized" like this, but I do recognize that call center agent isn't exactly high skill, so it's one of those jobs you always have to be thinking about this. Not only that but especially in a country where the pay is what it is. For every 1 person employed in Canada at the AP call center, they can probably employe 2.5-3 abroad to do the same work, with an accent.

Hopefully we don't notice longer wait times, but one can only assume that's what'll happen.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Never had to wait more than a few minutes for Aeroplan, i guess its going to change
Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:24 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Too bad, every day someone is downsizing, 1980's all over, flight loads also look lighter and my YQF-YYC flights are no longer 16- 18 Pas but 6 - 14 this year?

I too have had to only wait a dew minutes if that to speak with AP, but its the background stuff or admin that may take more time now!
Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:55 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
These reductions are unfortunate and I agree that an 18% reduction in a company that size is significant.

Having many unionized employees, I am not sure of their ability to get rid of those employees who don't perform well....many successful companies will cull the bottom 5-10% on a regular basis.

I never have issues with wait times, but I know that others do. I hope this does not get worse, but I am not sure how it can't.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Most Aeroplan agents are highly skilled compared to say agents at United that are largely offshore. The experience with Aeroplan was miles better. Sad news.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Some people with status don't need to wait more than a couple of minutes to get services. But most commoners need to wait long, very long. Now the wait will be longer.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by why fly
this is customer enhancement. Air Canada will send out a press release shortly.

Aeroplan will then send out a press release saying we agree, but wait till you see how bad the service is when Altitude takes over from Aeroplan in a few years.
Maybe a few years ago, when AC actually own AE!
Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by After Burner
I don't even remember the last time I called AE. Maybe 8-10 years ago. If I can't book an AE award online I don't bother.
Still need to call in for changes.

Originally Posted by yyznomad
What! I guess they still didn't charge enough YQ!!!
That's AC, not AE that charges YQ.

I've always had good experiences with the Aeroplan call center. Feel bad for those who have lost their jobs.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by yvr76
Still need to call in for changes.
For sure, but I've never had the need to do that. Besides, AE availability is so rare that if I'm lucky enough to score a seat there's ZERO chance of changing it.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I've had no issues with my offshore calls to UA.

PERHAPS this will result in more technical glitch fares ? That would be the upside for all of us haha
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:25 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by why fly
this is customer enhancement. Air Canada will send out a press release shortly.
What does Air Canada have to do with this?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:04 pm

What happened to all that money they got for signing up TD Bank? Oh ya, they used it to pay off CIBC
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Dusit
My takeaway from this is that Aimia the owners of Aeroplan are in trouble and have to cut costs fast. I guess CIBC and TD did get the reduction they were seeking on the costs of the miles they purchased. It was initially reported as 6%. Anyone know what the final result was?

I won't be surprised if Air Canada eventually takes back its loyalty program and cuts Aeroplan loose.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:43 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
If you haven't been burning them before, time to start. Nothing good to come out of this imo.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by yscleo
Some people with status don't need to wait more than a couple of minutes to get services. But most commoners need to wait long, very long. Now the wait will be longer.
You may be mixing up AE With AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.