Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan: is it ok?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver

Hi, I have some miles to transfer from SQ, and I would like to have your advice about AC FF club Aeroplan.

For May, I saw that from a CDG-YUL-CDG, we need 45600 miles plus taxes (about 535CAD!!!!). Regular ticket costs 880 CAD if I fly nonstop, or 700 CAD with a layover on the return flight.
I find it weird, and not advantageous at all.

Your thoughts?

Also, I have about 62000 SQ miles, how many AC miles would I get?

Thanks!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LY777
Hi, I have some miles to transfer from SQ, and I would like to have your advice about AC FF club Aeroplan.
For May, I saw that from a CDG-YUL-CDG, we need 45600 miles plus taxes (about 535CAD!!!!). Regular ticket costs 880 CAD if I fly nonstop, or 700 CAD with a layover on the return flight. I find it weird, and not advantageous at all.
Your thoughts?
Thanks!
You can't transfer miles from SQ to AC. Since SQ and AC are in Star Alliance, just use your SQ miles to book any AC flight. Call KrisFlyer to redeem. Your fees will be less than Aeroplan anyway.

Your observation about Aeroplan fees is correct. Aeroplan charges exorbitant fees (affectionately called scam charges in this forum) on all most award tickets such that it is generally a bad deal to book Air Canada Economy award seats using Aeroplan.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:19 am

This is because AC#AE charge fuel surcharges. If you could find availability say YUL-ZRH-CDG (LX) or YUL-IST-CDG (TK) you would pay 200$ of taxes. (Avoiding AC and the LH group)

Another thing to consider is redeeming for economy is usually very bad value versus just buying the ticket out right in advanced. Best bang for your buck is to redeem for business or first.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan 35K
Response: No it is not...
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:29 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by newsguy911
Response: No it is not...
May I ask why, in that case, do you are SE status based out of LHR? Wouldn't BA bet a better option?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by hearna
Best bang for your buck is to redeem for business or first.
That applies to folks that fly on revenue business tickets. Otherwise it is a subjective comment.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by LY777

For May, I saw that from a CDG-YUL-CDG, we need 45600 miles plus taxes (about 535CAD!!!!). Regular ticket costs 880 CAD if I fly nonstop, or 700 CAD with a layover on the return flight.
I find it weird, and not advantageous at all.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!
You can't transfer miles between Krisflyer and Aeroplan.

If you have Singapore miles, it's not worth it to book economy on AC since they charge fuel surcharges on all partners. Since there's a discount to stay with SQ, you should just stick with SQ flights. FRA-JFK on the A380 one-way in business class is a good redemption
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
Aeroplan charges exorbitant fees (affectionately called scam charges in this forum) on all most award tickets such that it is generally a bad deal to book Air Canada Economy award seats using Aeroplan.
This is so ironic -- it is generally a bad idea to redeem ae for AC seats.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by yscleo
This is so ironic -- it is generally a bad idea to redeem ae for AC seats.
Not that unique. Many programs it's bad to book on the home airline.

BA Avios (even with the new off-peak discounts): Bad to use on BA economy, long haul BA has extremely high YQ, best used for AA and Alaska short and medium haul

AA/AS miles: Best used for Cathay and Etihad/Emirates j/f

Aegean miles: Best used for domestic UA flights (no YQ, Carribean/Mexico counts as domestic).

Delta miles: Best used for Virgin Australia and other partners that have level 1 awards
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:29 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
If we are comparing the fees of British Airways to Aeroplan, then it comes out pretty much the same. Both have over the top fees, which other programs don't have.

I wouldn't start accumulating in this program today.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by hearna
This is because AC#AE charge fuel surcharges. If you could find availability say YUL-ZRH-CDG (LX) or YUL-IST-CDG (TK) you would pay 200$ of taxes. (Avoiding AC and the LH group)

Another thing to consider is redeeming for economy is usually very bad value versus just buying the ticket out right in advanced. Best bang for your buck is to redeem for business or first.
LO and SK also do not charge YQ, so more avenues to look at for the OP.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
If we are comparing the fees of British Airways to Aeroplan, then it comes out pretty much the same. Both have over the top fees, which other programs don't have.

I wouldn't start accumulating in this program today.
Pretty much every European Asian and Middle Eastern FF plan charges YQ!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.