Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Attendant Training for 787

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
Remember that FAs are invaluable when it comes to emergencies and they're not just there to serve cappucinos (or to tell you that it's not available) .

They must be familiar with the emergency exits and emergency equipment on the particular aircraft type/model that they are working on, and thus the need for training.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
More like on the job training I suppose
While it is true that FA's are not "type rated" for a particular aircraft, they still have to go for training and familiarization related to the emergency and other procedures for each aircraft type. They then have to include the additional documentation in their manuals "transmittals" is the term used I believe. You can sometimes see these manuals when they're referring to them for one thing or a other, it's big heavy white binder IIRC. I'd hate to have to carry that thing around all the time.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cruban
Remember that FAs are invaluable when it comes to emergencies and they're not just there to serve cappucinos (or to tell you that it's not available) .

They must be familiar with the emergency exits and emergency equipment on the particular aircraft type/model that they are working on, and thus the need for training.
Agreed, safety is paramount....like how to prepare the cabin for landing.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by GLAinYYZ
I also asked for a Cappuccino (as advertised in Air Canada's promotional materials) after lunch but was simply told it wasn't available. I wonder if perhaps it may be a training issue on how to use the new machine?
On some of the aircraft I have been told that the espresso machine was not in service, no idea why though, I didn't bother asking. It would be interesting to see if this is the case fleet wide.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:07 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by jaysona
On some of the aircraft I have been told that the espresso machine was not in service, no idea why though, I didn't bother asking. It would be interesting to see if this is the case fleet wide.
Ouff. I certainly hope not. I'm a coffee addict, and I can't stand the second cup garbage. I was looking forward to having a real(ish) espresso on board...or 6 real(ish) espressos.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Well, aside from the arm rest thing, as of a month or two ago, the Cappuccino means weren't working. Something about having them produce decent coffee? Anyway, the SDs I had told me they were working on it but basically that there were MX issues with the machines.

Growing pains for new features I guess. But. It was disappointing for me too, I with enough regular coffee and bailey's I coped with my sadness.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by PLeblond
Ouff. I certainly hope not. I'm a coffee addict, and I can't stand the second cup garbage. I was looking forward to having a real(ish) espresso on board...or 6 real(ish) espressos.
It's difficult enough to get a decent espresso drink on the ground. I can just imagine how bad it would be prepared airborne.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:57 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by After Burner
It's difficult enough to get a decent espresso drink on the ground. I can just imagine how bad it would be prepared airborne.
I heard somewhere the word 'Lavazza'. That sounded promising....
Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:09 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Anybody know why the armrest needs to be down anyway?
It really bothered me on my flights and I couldn't get comfortable with nothing to lean on.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:59 am

Programs: AC 25k, A3 *G, BA, Westjet Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum
My wife got a cappo in J on the 787 flight between CDG and YYZ on Monday this week. She said it took about 20 minutes to make it. The FAs told her that they had lots of hot milk so I guess they were struggling to make it. She didn't particularly enjoy it, she thought that the beans tasted old.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by mendy7511
Anybody know why the armrest needs to be down anyway?
It really bothered me on my flights and I couldn't get comfortable with nothing to lean on.
Evacuation in an emergency, having it down removes a potential obstruction.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:42 am

Evacuation in an emergency, having it down removes a potential obstruction.
I am sure that made sense to some paper pusher somewhere

The old pods have a half wall that did not "obstruct" and Y pax have 5 inches to squeeze by 2 pax to get the aisle, but an armrest that is a few inches higher? No way to get around that.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite

The old pods have a half wall that did not "obstruct" and Y pax have 5 inches to squeeze by 2 pax to get the aisle, but an armrest that is a few inches higher? No way to get around that.
You might not like his answer, but protocol is protocol. I had the same type of seats on BR (well close enough, but reverse herringbone with the armrest), same thing. It must be down during takeoff/landing.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:58 am

I can assure you that "some paper pusher somewhere" did not come up with this rule. It was arrived at by hundreds of hours of testing conducted by many people who specialize in human factors.

I had to make numerous (seemingly innocuous) changes to physical and interface designs based on findings by human factors people. It all boils down to the panic and how people react in those situations.

The XM pods face the aisle, a person just needs to lean forward and they're in the aisle and making their way out to the exit. The 787 pods face away from the aisle, so a person needs to turn their body towards the aisle and stand up. Very different set of mechanical motions required to achieve the same purpose.

Your paper pusher comment afirms your naïveté of the subject, but I'm here to help educate.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:13 am

I can assure you that "some paper pusher somewhere" did not come up with this rule. It was arrived at by hundreds of hours of testing conducted by many people who specialize in human factors.

I had to make numerous (seemingly innocuous) changes to physical and interface designs based on findings by human factors people. It all boils down to the panic and how people react in those situations.

The XM pods face the aisle, a person just needs to lean forward and they're in the aisle and making their way out to the exit. The 787 pods face away from the aisle, so a person needs to turn their body towards the aisle and stand up. Very different set of mechanical motions required to achieve the same purpose.

Your paper pusher comment afirms your naïveté of the subject, but I'm here to help educate.
and 30 inch pitch in Y does not obstruct?
I still fail to see the difference if it is up or down. It is not like people are stepping over the arm rest when it is down, they are still walking around it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.