Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada, HD Planes, and Asian Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada, HD Planes, and Asian Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Umm, i'm not going to quite go into taxation and corporations, but saying that their product is aimed at the top of a regional population is preposterous.
I'd have to disagree. The per capita income of, for instance, China is $11,850/year, India $5600/year on a PPP basis. It logically follows that it takes a positioning in a much higher strata of wealth in those respective countries to purchase air travel, than it does in North America where air travel is literally cheaper than Greyhound or Amtrak in most cases.

I am of asian descent, and have many family back in Asia. They certainly aren't rich, and they certainly fly Y.
May not be rich on a global basis, but I bet your family is in the top quartile or decile on a regional basis if they're enjoying significant amounts of air travel.

In the United States, for instance, simply having a household net worth of $69k places one in the 3rd quintile of net worth, ahead of 60% of the population.

Is there more income disparity - yes. Look at a CX/BR flight for J/F seats vs AC. But are there Y/Y+ seats on these airlines. You bet.
N. American airlines provide a service which reaches most of the population in terms of net worth quartiles. While in Asia, there is still a very large segment of the population which simply cannot afford air travel. So of course the ratio of premium seats to economy seats can be higher, since the aim is only at the top of the overall socio-economic strata.

Assume for a moment that the top 5% of the population will buy premium service. And everyone else buys economy.

In North America, the cut-off level for air travel is, perhaps, at the 50% percentile of wealth. In Asia, let's say it is at 75%.

Hence, in Asia, 5% / 25% = 20% of the demand will be from premium passengers. While in North America, 5% / 50% = 10% of the demand will be from premium passengers. Hence, the Asian premium airlines naturally have much higher ratios of premium passengers.

When was the last time you were on an asian airline? Y+ is always full. Y (sometimes), but Y+ is only $100-$200 more than Y, and yet you see that Y+ is fuller more (on long haul flights). surely this can't be with your implication that Asians and flying is still not common..
I didn't say that. I only said that flying in the emerging economies, which tends to characterize much of Asia, is far more of an exclusive luxury than it is in North America, relatively speaking. Because the premium airlines in Asia are catering to that marketplace, they obviously need to, and are providing more luxurious/premium services than we see in North America where the airlines cater to the entirety of the population. Asian LCC's, which are attempting to broaden the scope of air travel in Asia, are being even more draconian in terms of seat pitches, service fees, etc., than we see in North America for good reason -- per capita GDP to support air travel is much lower hence efficiency is even more important in providing a consumer product.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Dusit
Originally Posted by pitz
A lower tax burden, and only really aiming their product at the top decile of the regional population (compared to airlines in North America who provide a product in reach of most of the population and most often cheaper than surface transportation), will accomplish all of such. The airlines that aim at even the top quartile or half of the population (ie: the LCCs, Air Asia, etc.), have configurations which are some of the tightest in the world.

However, my question remains -- do airlines like CX, BR, etc., have a legal obligation to accommodate over-sized passengers without an up-charge or not?
There is no single answer to your question as each country has different rules and regulations. In some countries, there is no real accommodation made for the disabled. A classic example are the airlines in Thailand. On paper, they say they do make allowances. In practice, they do not. Last week I watched elderly and mobile impaired people nearly get trampled on 3 different airlines.
Keep in mind that in much of Asia, concepts such as accessibility and accommodation are ignored.

In respect to the size of the flying public in asia, pax are indeed getting taller and fatter. I have seen as many obese asian pax on an LCC such as NOK or Air Asia as I have seen on a domestic AC flight. Some airline routes in asia cater to foreigners and yet they manage to transport some very hefty Germans and Americans on busy routes. In any case, the affliction in Asia is "carry-on-itis". What Asian pax may not have in fatness, they make up for in the amount of bags they carry on.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I'd have to disagree. The per capita income of, for instance, China is $11,850/year, India $5600/year on a PPP basis. It logically follows that it takes a positioning in a much higher strata of wealth in those respective countries to purchase air travel, than it does in North America where air travel is literally cheaper than Greyhound or Amtrak in most cases.

May not be rich on a global basis, but I bet your family is in the top quartile or decile on a regional basis if they're enjoying significant amounts of air travel.

In the United States, for instance, simply having a household net worth of $69k places one in the 3rd quintile of net worth, ahead of 60% of the population.

N. American airlines provide a service which reaches most of the population in terms of net worth quartiles. While in Asia, there is still a very large segment of the population which simply cannot afford air travel. So of course the ratio of premium seats to economy seats can be higher, since the aim is only at the top of the overall socio-economic strata.

Assume for a moment that the top 5% of the population will buy premium service. And everyone else buys economy.

In North America, the cut-off level for air travel is, perhaps, at the 50% percentile of wealth. In Asia, let's say it is at 75%.

Hence, in Asia, 5% / 25% = 20% of the demand will be from premium passengers. While in North America, 5% / 50% = 10% of the demand will be from premium passengers. Hence, the Asian premium airlines naturally have much higher ratios of premium passengers.

I didn't say that. I only said that flying in the emerging economies, which tends to characterize much of Asia, is far more of an exclusive luxury than it is in North America, relatively speaking. Because the premium airlines in Asia are catering to that marketplace, they obviously need to, and are providing more luxurious/premium services than we see in North America where the airlines cater to the entirety of the population. Asian LCC's, which are attempting to broaden the scope of air travel in Asia, are being even more draconian in terms of seat pitches, service fees, etc., than we see in North America for good reason -- per capita GDP to support air travel is much lower hence efficiency is even more important in providing a consumer product.
Thanks for your very intelligent post. I had hoped you didn't read my post so soon (I had edited it over time, haha).

Just so I'm clear (I had a Mao reference), i'm not originally from communist China, but have family in ROC (so democraticish). The income range of China is HUGE, but since CX/BR is based out of Taiwan/HKG, let's start there. The income range even in a small country like Taiwan is huge. It's sort of like Canada vs the US. However, that range is much smaller than China. Taiwan/Hong Kong is closer to Canada than it is China/US. Is the average income/median income less than Canada, absolutely. However, the cost of living is dirt cheap. (no, please don't compare a US style apartment here vs there). I have many friends/family there and i'm shocked at how little they pay to live. When I was in downtown HKG, I could have a pretty decent meal for $1 CDN. Therefore, comparing pure #'s on paper isn't comparing apples to apples.

However, where did I mention that they are traveling a lot? They fly as often (i'm guessing) as the average Canadian. 1 x a year max, if not once every 2-3 years...many in my family are construction workers...it doesn't get any more middle class than that? At least here they are unionized and the minimum wage is a lot better...

Am I saying that a developing nation like China = accessibility of air travel like in N. America, nope - and I should have made that more clear. But if you've ever gone to TPE/HKG, you'll see that it's pretty darn developed...the other half of my family there are teachers...that's pretty middle class, no?

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Jan 1, 2015 at 7:47 pm
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:55 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold; E35K/*Silver
Compare to the Asian airlines all you want. AC is North America's answer to KLM.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by moorw003
Compare to the Asian airlines all you want. AC is North America's answer to KLM.
Care to explain? I've never been on KLM...(and never want to, nothing really excites me about them, or is that the point?)
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Given the lack of an obesity epidemic in their markets ANA's move is actually a great one and one I wish NA carriers were capable of making, but obviously won't be. (Assuming all carriers will be moving to HD in one form or another)
Ideally, this would also be the case in Canada, obtained by using similar methods to what the Japanese are doing.
It is a win-win situation for the government.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 24left
"...In 2009, United Airlines received more than 700 complaints from passengers who felt cramped by the larger person sitting next to them."
I was one of those complaints in 2013. My armrest would not go down. FA wouldn't do anything about it. When I emailed after the fact, the response was "this is a problem that needs to be dealt with by the FA".

Since then, I have only flown UA for necessary trips where it's the only *A option (SFO-CUN), and FT dos.

So if they're going to be stupid about giving me the seat that I pay for, I'm going to stop paying for seats for "fun" travel.

I've never had a POS beside me on AC, so I don't know how they'd respond, but I hope it would be better.

P.S. This is actually a relatively minor reason I stopped flying UA, but it's still on the list.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I was one of those complaints in 2013. My armrest would not go down. FA wouldn't do anything about it. When I emailed after the fact, the response was "this is a problem that needs to be dealt with by the FA".

Since then, I have only flown UA for necessary trips where it's the only *A option (SFO-CUN), and FT dos.

So if they're going to be stupid about giving me the seat that I pay for, I'm going to stop paying for seats for "fun" travel.

I've never had a POS beside me on AC, so I don't know how they'd respond, but I hope it would be better.

P.S. This is actually a relatively minor reason I stopped flying UA, but it's still on the list.
or where it is much cheaper than AC and doesn't give you an HD plane.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I really feel for POS because as the column I posted states, there is an issue of discomfort and embarrassment.

However, this problem will only get worse. People are not getting smaller but airlines are filling planes with smaller seats and less space between.

MY personal peeve is all this animal onboard stuff. First it's small dogs or cats in carriers. Apparently, people with allergies are secondary to cats and dogs.

Now, especially in the U.S., it's emotional support animals - some of whom are way to large for underseat carriers and well, you've all heard about the pig on the plane.

So if we move to less width and less pitch, where are all these larger people and animals supposed to go?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:22 pm

Care to explain? I've never been on KLM...(and never want to, nothing really excites me about them, or is that the point?)
Routing people (in AC's vision, mainly US traffic) through the country to support services it wouldn't otherwise have. Much of KLMs traffic is ABC-AMS-XYZ. Calin Rovinescu has made no secret that his vision for YYZ follows what KL did to AMS.

Similar to what EK does actually. The only reason AC isn't wildly hypocritical is the hub model benefits Americans/Canadians pretty equally. I'd say just as many Canadians route on US airlines via ORD/EWR/ATL/SEA/LAX than Americans through YYZ/YUL/YVR. Unlike EK - where AC's DXB connections through YYZ will most certainly be a sliver of EK's YYZ traffic through DXB.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:43 pm

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
Well firstly, due to biological and dietary differences, I think it's safe to say that a) it's less of an issue and to be frank, Asian airlines don't squish their passengers like N. american airlines do. BR, CX (if you followed the thread) are sticking with 9 abreast and 32/33" pitch. they are not slimlining or HD or Rouging and they seem to be financially healthy
A lower tax burden, and only really aiming their product at the top decile of the regional population (compared to airlines in North America who provide a product in reach of most of the population and most often cheaper than surface transportation), will accomplish all of such. The airlines that aim at even the top quartile or half of the population (ie: the LCCs, Air Asia, etc.), have configurations which are some of the tightest in the world.

However, my question remains -- do airlines like CX, BR, etc., have a legal obligation to accommodate over-sized passengers without an up-charge or not?
None of this applies to Japanese carriers and I am not sure I agree with the assumptions you are making. However it is correct to point out that Asian carriers are as diverse as European or NA carriers and so it is not useful to lump carriers like SQ with Air Asia.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 3:53 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Dusit
Originally Posted by 24left
I really feel for POS because as the column I posted states, there is an issue of discomfort and embarrassment.

However, this problem will only get worse. People are not getting smaller but airlines are filling planes with smaller seats and less space between.

MY personal peeve is all this animal onboard stuff. First it's small dogs or cats in carriers. Apparently, people with allergies are secondary to cats and dogs.

Now, especially in the U.S., it's emotional support animals - some of whom are way to large for underseat carriers and well, you've all heard about the pig on the plane.

So if we move to less width and less pitch, where are all these larger people and animals supposed to go?
In respect to you concern in respect to animals, the 'allergic' reaction claims are not supported by the academic literature. In our daily environment we aspirate animal dander and bird excrement regularly. We also consume rodent hair, urine and feces in our food (subject to allowable quantities). Food sourced from industrial kitchens contain various types of impurities and as clean as they try to be, one can't keep out all the beasties. This then brings us back to the topic of animals in the cabin. Much of the allergic reaction is the result of a mental condition rather than a real physical ailment. An allergy sufferer who has an allergic reaction from a dog or cat a few rows away, would have a debilitating health condition requiring medication on a daily basis. I would argue that such a person would present a greater health risk to passengers due to the person's constant phlegm production and sneezing, blowing out a cloud of gunk.Sometimes those allergy sufferers are actually allergic to the skin flakes and skin mites of other humans and not animals. However, if we had to confront the fact that people shed their skin and hair all over a plane's seats, I believe some people would disgusted.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
That's for long haul crew rest requirements. I doubt HKG-SIN has 14FAs if that version were to operate.

AC's 77Ls are crewed with 14-15 FAs on ULH as well, and seat less than CX.
I can never find AC\s crew where do they hide inflight on ULH's ?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 6:11 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
All this is nice, BUT.

Would you rather have wider seats, or longer pitch?

And if you were the CEO, and it was a 50-50 poll and could only choose one, what would you do?

The article about ANA moving from 31" pitch to 34" pitch is dated Dec 30th, so clearly they are straying away from the established trend...
I will avoid using pitch, as one of the diagrams in your OP shows, it does not adequately reflect legroom.

That being said, for me, 1" difference in width is meaningless. If the person next to you is 350lbs, the inch more between you and them will not change much. I prefer being able to extend my legs straight and lean back as much as possible.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Transpacificflyer

Yes, thank you for this detailed answer. I am well aware of all of this.
Also thank you for the graphic description. I have no illusions of what humans leave behind on airplane seats or elsewhere.

That said, I and others are allowed to be bothered by animals in the cabin, regardless of whether we can do anything about it. You do not have to agree.

My point was: given that there is a progression from small animals in the cabin to larger animals that may be for emotional support, AND given the smaller amount of space available due to more seats etc, I can see this combined issue becoming a bigger problem as time goes on. Period.

Last edited by 24left; Jan 2, 2015 at 8:01 am Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.