Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan distinction another scam

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:02 am

It's not a scam. Just not a good product. Ok, at best.

They really should have a filter for nonsensical marketfare redemptions that just make the program look stupid. Like, a gazillion points to get to wherever.

I booked two Y tickets YYZ-CUN for just over 40k points each. A small premium over classic fare, but still ~1.5c/mile redemption value. I'll take that, especially for a direct flight at peak time (first week of Jan). I booked about 6-8 months in advance. Just looked recently and market fare was over 70k.

As with all things Aeroplan, though, Distinction/Market Fare is probably useless for Joe Public. They've tried to bridge the "convenience" gap between them and Avion/Aventura and have failed for the most part.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Look carefully and you can find good deals on Market Fares (in Y) - especially with the distinction discount. It can be lower than a "Classic" redemption.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:47 am

Considering how much more cash fares are for business class, it's not a surprise to see that market fare for business class costs a lot?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Lev
Look carefully and you can find good deals on Market Fares (in Y) - especially with the distinction discount. It can be lower than a "Classic" redemption.
I never thought of doing that....good advice. (I book NA Y awards for my kids...)
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100k, AS MVP Gold, National EE, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Never seen a market fare lower than a classic? Typically with the DD discount still about 20% more most of the time?

Any examples you can share? I'm curious to see...
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by YVRorange
Never seen a market fare lower than a classic? Typically with the DD discount still about 20% more most of the time?

Any examples you can share? I'm curious to see...
There are many examples where market fares are lower than classics.
Market fares basically give you less than a penny on the point, and are loosely based on revenue pricing.

Look up YYZ-LHR for Feb.18-25

Classic is 60k+$705
Market fare is 29000 RT + $675

Revenue is $840

So basically you are saving $165 with your 29,000 points

So with distinction discounts - you could save 35%, and pay 19000 points + $675 to save $165 - getting you closer to a penny a point value.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
But distinction discounts are UP TO 35% - I have seen lots of distinction discounts that are less than 35%. I can't figure out how they decide which ones get what discount though.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
There are many examples where market fares are lower than classics.
Market fares basically give you less than a penny on the point, and are loosely based on revenue pricing.

Look up YYZ-LHR for Feb.18-25

Classic is 60k+$705
Market fare is 29000 RT + $675

Revenue is $840

So basically you are saving $165 with your 29,000 points

So with distinction discounts - you could save 35%, and pay 19000 points + $675 to save $165 - getting you closer to a penny a point value.
While this is an example of Market fare being less than Classic fare, both of these are pretty bad deals.

Even the better market fare deal is 0.5 cents per mile.

Could you provide an example that is also a decent deal? (1.5 cents per mile or higher).
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stevevandie

Could you provide an example that is also a decent deal? (1.5 cents per mile or higher).
No. Market fares never cover more than 1cpm, since they cover just the base fare.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:47 pm

No. Market fares never cover more than 1cpm, since they cover just the base fare.
Good to know. Remind me to never book Market Fare.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Not sure that is right. On my YYZ-YHZ redemptions Market fare has always covered the YQ and the Nav Canada charges, whereas Classic requires you to pay them - generally this means it is an extra ~$50 out of pocket to use a Classic reward.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Geoflying
Not sure that is right. On my YYZ-YHZ redemptions Market fare has always covered the YQ and the Nav Canada charges, whereas Classic requires you to pay them - generally this means it is an extra ~$50 out of pocket to use a Classic reward.
Domestic revenue flights have no YQ
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by YYCJF
This is just another case of Aeroplan trying to scam its members along with AC.

When I first was introduced to this program I was exited as I am sure many of you were when it posted 35% discounts with aeroplan. It would be natural to assume that.
same routing in market fare points 360 000 and take you discount of 35% for diamond distinction you are down to 235 000 points still 4 times as much.
That's high! Getting near redemption levels DL requires to fly anywhere off the continent.
Originally Posted by iMedic
I don't think anyone was excited for Distinction
LOL ..... Classic post here.
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
I booked two Y tickets YYZ-CUN for just over 40k points each. A small premium over classic fare, but still ~1.5c/mile redemption value. I'll take that, especially for a direct flight at peak time (first week of Jan).
I booked similar and agree it was INCREDIBLE value for non-stop flights in peak WX season. AP Distinction option blew DL and AA/US options out of the water ...
Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Domestic revenue flights have no YQ
Exactly. But the faux NAVCAN charge is indeed covered by market fare.

Look at my YYZ-LHR example in this thread. It was indeed $30 less on the 29,000 RT market fare, than the 60,000 classic award.

However, in either case, the points covered <$200 of the cost
Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Exactly. But the faux NAVCAN charge is indeed covered by market fare.

Look at my YYZ-LHR example in this thread. It was indeed $30 less on the 29,000 RT market fare, than the 60,000 classic award.

However, in either case, the points covered <$200 of the cost
Has there been any case where market fare is less than classic award (dd black) for a J/F seat to your knowledge? I'd definitely snatch one of those up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.