Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Get 10% off flight with $500 AC gift card purchase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Get 10% off flight with $500 AC gift card purchase

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
It doesn't matter which part goes into AC's pocket. Discount codes only affect the base fare, not the fuel surcharge. 24left's calculation is correct. It'd be a $78 discount in that instance, not $125.60.
Who was arguing the correctness of the calculation?
Yes, $78 is correct.
And therein lies the issue.
Its not even discounting all the money AC gets. Which should be at very least deceptive advertising.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Or I could have booked a room at a Delta for $180 and gotten the 10%. This deal isn't that great. (and I could have expensed the room at the Delta) and then give away the discount to friends on FT (which I did).
Assuming you mean the 10% Delta hotel promotion found inside the enRoute magazine, this promo is marginally better. The fine print on the Delta promotion is domestic only, while this one is applicable to domestic, tb, sun, and international.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Delta promo

Originally Posted by maradori
Assuming you mean the 10% Delta hotel promotion found inside the enRoute magazine, this promo is marginally better. The fine print on the Delta promotion is domestic only, while this one is applicable to domestic, tb, sun, and international.

The Delta/AC promo is also on the AC site. The T&C and details are longer than my thesis.

Quote:
"During your stay you’ll earn 500 Bonus Aeroplan Miles and receive a promotional code to save 10% on your next flight within Canada. Plus, stay twice as a Delta Privilege® member and benefit from a 50% discount on a future stay.
Book and stay at the Delta Hotel or Resort of your choice before Nov. 30 to make your dreams come true."

http://www.aircanada.com/en/offers/h...en|1410922|txt
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
I'm looking at a small screen here, so it's hard to scroll down the T&Cs, but can I buy 2 separate cards and get 2 unique codes?

I'll give one to my sister, and keep one for myself.

Thanks.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, HHonors Diamond
AC must think we are idiots.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by maradori
I eat my words. Thanks for the clarification
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yqtyyz
I'm looking at a small screen here, so it's hard to scroll down the T&Cs, but can I buy 2 separate cards and get 2 unique codes?

I'll give one to my sister, and keep one for myself.

Thanks.

I sent you the entire T&C via PM
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Air Canada 50K, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Others on Rotation
Air Canada should quickly revisit the web page I looked at.

All I see is "Get a Promotional Code for 10% off your next flight."

It goes on to say "Purchase your gift card(s) from November 24 to December 1, 2014. The 10% promotional code is valid for flight bookings made by December 9, 2014, for travel between January 10, 2015 and June 17, 2015." Then is gives you options to actually buy the thing.

There is no reference to any terms or conditions (usually there's an asterix or a footnote sign). You have to scroll well below the "purchase here" section to find any terms and conditions which appear in faded (roughly 50% opaque text). There is no good justification for this other than an effort to hide the real conditions.

From my scanning of the process it is clear that you will eventually be asked to sign off on the actual terms but, in the meantime, they are hidden within the advertisement.

This borders - and I would submit crosses - what is legal in Canada for advertising. Onerous terms and conditions cannot be hidden. Even if it is legal it is not ethical. While those on this board might know better the usual public on the Air Canada website might not detect it.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Ha, will IT really issue the promo code immediately for use within 1 week? Why limit it to Flex/Tango? Last year I never got my promo code so forget this.

Okay I almost gave in to do it, but now I see they (no longer) take AMEX for Gift cards?

Last edited by mikeyyz; Nov 24, 2014 at 10:38 pm
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by mikeyyz
Ha, will IT really issue the promo code immediately for use within 1 week? Why limit it to Flex/Tango? Last year I never got my promo code so forget this.

Okay I almost gave in to do it, but now I see they (no longer) take AMEX for Gift cards?
Because flex/tango will have lower base fares. Even on a longhaul, the savings will be in most cases <$150. They don't want u saving on biz fares
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Remember that if you use this gift card you will LOSE the benefit of ALL credit card based insurance coverage! Be warned!
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by rjp123
AC must think we are idiots.
You saw through this offer, eh?
I mean, how dare Air Canada offer some basic savings which might incentivize customers to think of AC gift cards in a crowded gift-card marketplace this Christmas season
Have to get up pretty early to get anything by you.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Remember that if you use this gift card you will LOSE the benefit of ALL credit card based insurance coverage! Be warned!
Very good point! ^

CIBC Visa requires 75% of the full fare be charged to the card. For a $500 AC gift card, the fare must be at least $2,000 assuming that one uses the gift card to pay $500 and the balance of $1,500 with the CIBC visa, that person will still get coverage.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:20 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Ouch... I'd been wondering (and worried) about that... couldn't find any mention of Gift Cards in the Amex Plat documents.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
That depends highly on the credit card.

For example, mine says "...covered when a portion or the entire cost of the Common Carrier fare, is purchased with your Chase credit card account..."

Also, if you buy the gift card with the same credit card, you can easily argue the entire cost was paid with your credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.