Community
Wiki Posts
Search

787 is now my favourite plane!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I flew the 788 on YVR-PVG and my upgrade from PY to J made it through. I thought the air was better and came off the flight with a much less dehydrated feeling than usual. That being said, I am a big guy and I had some trouble getting comfortable in the new seats. I like to sleep on my side and found trouble getting my feet comfortable, reminiscent of the coffin like feeling on the 777HD. I would definitely fly this bird again though!
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:20 pm
Used to be '076753k'

Programs: AirCanada*G
Sitting in YVR at the moment, just returned from PVG this afternoon. I flew on fin 805 on Nov 12, and 801 today. Both in J. Seat is pretty impressive. I'm 6'4 was able to sleep comfortably.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:21 pm

Programs: AC*SE,MM
TrUth be told, 787 is not that big a deal. It opens up some new routes. IFE is a lot better on the 787. Seat pitch is worse in Y. PY could be interesting, but a lot depends on pricing/upgrade positioning.

That's about it.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:29 pm

Great video! I enjoyed watching it.
I haven't flown AC's 787 yet, but flew UA's 787 some time ago, and the cabin pressure and humidity didn't feel different from other planes.
I know its "better" on the 787, but frankly I just didn't notice anything substantial.
Looking forward to your next review when you actually get a chance to fly it!
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Haha, I just saw my friend in that video. I'm flying it in exactly two weeks.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Wooooooah nice video ^ ^ ^ ^

A few observations:

- at 4:04, am I the only one curious ... is going on with the center-right screen? The green line keeps jumping around

- at 6:27 (http://imgur.com/4IjdfcX), what watch is that?

- can you create the AC safety video please? I think you can create something better than http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ety-video.html
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: AC*S100K MM, Carlson Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Following the announced changes to the Altitude programme, I have been a lot more liberal in choosing carriers for travel over the past few weeks. Flew DL from YVR to BOS (x/SLC) in F, which was cheaper than Flex on AC by about $100 (shortly after the flight DL accepted my status match challenge application – SE100K  Platinum Medallion). Both ground and air staff were noticeably friendly, but I won’t be passing any judgements in full until I have a chance to fly them a bit more. Then ended up taking Porter from EWR to YTZ. Loved every bit of it.
Finally, for the return leg to YVR, decided to try B787 (AC103), as I ended up being away during the B787 event in YVR earlier this week. Was waitlisted for an upgrade (with booked Flex and a seat in the PY section), which was cleared at the gate. Absolutely loved the plane and would agree with previous posters here, AC J is very-very nice. I found the pod to be spacious and very comfortable.
A few comments – there seemed to have been some confusion whether the seat partition in the centre row in J is designed to go down – none of them would, but the layout would suggest that they should. Also (I ended up discussing this point with the SD), couldn’t find a good place to put a glass, except for the table in front (I prefer the classic pod’s side placement). At one point, the table slid out of its position (I suppose I didn’t lock it all the way, but then I assumed that it locks automatically once positioned back under the TV console), and the glass almost ended up on me, saved only by a too quick for an early flight reaction.

I found the bed to be more comfortable than the classic pod one, except it seems that the headrest ends up being raised a smidge, creating a feeling that the bed is not quite 180° flat, but slightly angled. The controls of moving the seat up and down are quite smooth, if taking a bit too long to get into the right position.

Another point (discussed this with the SD as well), I am not sure what the deal is with the drink service and not providing the much touted specialty coffee drinks on domestic services. Considering the cost of the domestic J, surely a few extra cents for an espresso or a cappuccino wouldn’t put much of a dent in AC’s coffers. So, beware, specialty coffees are reserved for International travel only.

I also noticed that the deep holder at the bottom of the pod (the one under the aisle armrest) is getting considerably dirty. I appreciate that groomers have to learn new layouts - perhaps this is the point, which can be emphasised. This, in addition to the remote stowage/plug are - I had used headphones and a plastic wrapper in mine this morning.

Lastly, I liked that the new line of toiletries has been launched as well, to match what’s in the amenity kits.

All in all, considering that the flight was 20 min under schedule, almost wished it lasted a bit longer, which is not something that I would have ever said about a YYZ(YOW/YUL)-YVR flight before.

Finally, a shout-out to a very calm and professional SD (Rob) on this flight.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM
Originally Posted by maradori
Wooooooah nice video ^ ^ ^ ^

A few observations:

- at 4:04, am I the only one curious ... is going on with the center-right screen? The green line keeps jumping around

- at 6:27 (http://imgur.com/4IjdfcX), what watch is that?

- can you create the AC safety video please? I think you can create something better than http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ety-video.html
4:04 - DOn't know much about airline equipment. I'll assume it's the radar going nuts, maybe since its in the hangar? Who knows, just a guess

6:27 - TAG Aquaracer

- I'd love to have a crack at the Safety video, especially with the type of budget that Air Canada probably spends.

Thanks for watching.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM
Originally Posted by allbrosca
I flew the 788 on YVR-PVG and my upgrade from PY to J made it through. I thought the air was better and came off the flight with a much less dehydrated feeling than usual. That being said, I am a big guy and I had some trouble getting comfortable in the new seats. I like to sleep on my side and found trouble getting my feet comfortable, reminiscent of the coffin like feeling on the 777HD. I would definitely fly this bird again though!
Does the bed feel wider than the classic pods? When I tried it, it felt wider plus I liked how you can put the armrest down. I find the classic pods to be too narrow at the shoulders and I'm not a really wide guy. How's the mattress over a long flight?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 11:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I can't wait to try the J soon...however, and this has been bugging me, the new 3 class 777 configs have yet another different J, reminding me of Swiss. Is the long term goal to have all business on 787 be what was in this video, and all others be the new swiss like version? It seems, wasteful? Is that the right word?

Last edited by TravellingBeard; Nov 23, 2014 at 12:21 am
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:06 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Chowtime
Does the bed feel wider than the classic pods? When I tried it, it felt wider plus I liked how you can put the armrest down. I find the classic pods to be too narrow at the shoulders and I'm not a really wide guy. How's the mattress over a long flight?
Definitely wider at the shoulders.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:55 am
Flying Blue Director

Glad you enjoyed the event ^

Sorry I missed you.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:56 am
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by TravellingBeard
I can't wait to try the J soon...however, and this has been bugging me, the new 3 class 777 configs have yet another different J, reminding me of Swiss. Is the long term goal to have all business on 787 be what was in this video, and all others be the new swiss like version? It seems, wasteful? Is that the right word?
Long term goal is to have the 787 J seat be the new baseline. You will see the other aircraft undergo retrofit in the coming months.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Long term goal is to have the 787 J seat be the new baseline. You will see the other aircraft undergo retrofit in the coming months.
Thanks...the new 787 seats look nicer, but I'd still be curious to try the new 777 ones if I get a chance. ^
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: AC-E50. Marriott Plat
Great video, very professionally done by the OP.
I have flown this plane 3 times now between YVR and YYZ in economy (twice in the first row of economy bulkhead seat) and I was very impressed by the lower noise level, the feeling of space created by the bigger windows and high ceiling. I was lucky to have the bulkhead but I actually think this feeling of spaciousness does mitigate the new economy seats a bit. My view may be coloured favourably by shorter flight and bulkhead, but overall I did feel better on this plane, and that impression was with me before I learned about the altitude/pressure differences.
Also I noticed the view over the wing, with the gracious upward swoop, very impressive. I would definitely go out of my way to fly on this plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.