Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2014, 12:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite

Hello all,

I know AC did some zonal boarding trials, and will do so in December as well. While I'm evaluating my options, does anyone know the order or have heard of any rumors as to the order?

I'm trying to figure out if E75K's board with 50's, or if it's like United where it's the Plat/1K, then every elite along with CC holders...

Thanks!
Old Nov 1, 2014, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The only thing confirmed by anyone reputable (I think it was Andrew, but it may have been Ben) was that the first two zones would be priority.

I'm still hoping J will not be in the first group so that these changes actually make a difference for getting bin space.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
My desire would be

Zone 1: SE
Zone 2: E50K, E75K, *G, MM, and J
Zone 3: PE (skip this step if no PE)
Zone 4: whY
Old Nov 1, 2014, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm still hoping J will not be in the first group so that these changes actually make a difference for getting bin space.
Do you really think there's ANY chance of AC not having paid J pax board first?

My guess is

Zone 1: J, SE, 75
Zone 2: 25-50, *G
Old Nov 1, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: SE 100K MM,UA Gold, Marriott Titanium,Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade, National Exec Elite
This is long overdue and will be a welcome change. I flew YYZ-YVR on Thursday and it looked like a mosh pit at priority boarding call, was astounding and comical to watch.

I cant see any scenario where paid J isn't in zone 1.

If you have paid for J you should be among the first to board, and coincidentally the same should go for meal choice IMO.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
Do you really think there's ANY chance of AC not having paid J pax board first?

My guess is

Zone 1: J, SE, 75
Zone 2: 25-50, *G
UA has GS first (and yes, I know SE is not equivalent to GS), so do I think there's ANY chance? Yes. But I'm not holding my breath.

I think yours is likely, but I doubt 25K will be in there, and I'm not sure which group 75K will be in - that could go either way.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
My preference:

1. SEs and J
2. AC Elites 25k-75k and PE/Latitudes (if that flier doesn't carry status)
3. CC holders and "priority boarding" buy-ups
4. Economy
Old Nov 1, 2014, 1:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
We've done this exercise of preferences before. I was hoping someone on FT actually knew about the order.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 2:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by yqtyyz
My preference:

1. SEs and J
2. AC Elites 25k-75k and PE/Latitudes (if that flier doesn't carry status)
3. CC holders and "priority boarding" buy-ups
4. Economy
...And *G?

There's a good chance (but I certainly hope not) that you'll see something similar to the US (SE + 75, 50 + 35 + 25 + *G + cc, blah), but obviously, the only people who know for sure would be Andrew/Ben. Perhaps try tweeting @ACAltitude/@AC?

Has anyone else noticed that a policy like that wouldn't necessarily follow the letter of what's on the *A site, though?

With priority boarding you can enjoy the freedom of boarding at your convenience along with First and Business Class passengers
Old Nov 1, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G
Why should *G and E75/50 board together? With A3, anyone can get *G with 17K status miles, but you need a minimum of 25K and 35K status miles with AC to get *S, and you need 50K with AC to get *G (there is a huge discrepancy).

I would suggest the following:
1. J
2. All Altitude Super Elite and Elite members (SE, E75, E50, E35, E25)
4. Star Alliance Gold members
5. Star Alliance Silver members
6. General boarding
Old Nov 1, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
Ah yes... put them in at #2 or 3.

Originally Posted by pewpew
...And *G?

There's a good chance (but I certainly hope not) that you'll see something similar to the US (SE + 75, 50 + 35 + 25 + *G + cc, blah), but obviously, the only people who know for sure would be Andrew/Ben. Perhaps try tweeting @ACAltitude/@AC?

Has anyone else noticed that a policy like that wouldn't necessarily follow the letter of what's on the *A site, though?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 2:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I think based on the preferences of this group, the priority boarding order should be.

1) Me/You
2) Everyone else.

Old Nov 1, 2014, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal
Why should *G and E75/50 board together? With A3, anyone can get *G with 17K status miles, but you need a minimum of 25K and 35K status miles with AC to get *S, and you need 50K with AC to get *G (there is a huge discrepancy).

I would suggest the following:
1. J
2. All Altitude Super Elite and Elite members (SE, E75, E50, E35, E25)
4. Star Alliance Gold members
5. Star Alliance Silver members
6. General boarding
Why would you assume that P25K and *S are suddenly going to be given priority boarding?

Also, you've left out Latitude tickets

I honestly think the most likely setup is going to be exactly what UA has, but without 25k/*S being included. There are likely going to be multiple "general boarding" groups.

I swear one of the Bens or Andrew had somewhat clarified it a little, but I cannot find the post, so I'm going to assume I made it up.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by scotchmeup
This is long overdue and will be a welcome change. I flew YYZ-YVR on Thursday and it looked like a mosh pit at priority boarding call, was astounding and comical to watch.

I cant see any scenario where paid J isn't in zone 1.

If you have paid for J you should be among the first to board, and coincidentally the same should go for meal choice IMO.

Ah, then you would have really enjoy the combo mosh pit-gate lice event at YVR Monday for AC34 to YYZ.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
As for Paid J in Zone 1

Think about it, when they call to board, how would that work

"For those of you who actually PAID for your J seat, you may board now"

"For those of you who got upgraded to J, well, you get to wait"

BTW, Boarding DL from ATL-SRQ was even more entertaining. By the time the GAs read the order for boarding and every single category on the list, half the gate has emptied out (to the point of another poster on another thread about the high number of pax on certain flights have some kind of status)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.