Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Waiveing Fuel Surcharge and Change Fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Hello

So will the new changes at AC affect Aeroplan reward flights on AC metal?
Right now we fly everywhere using our aeroplan points but refuse to use AC metal as of their horrendous fuel surcharges are almost as much as a flight many times.

We are Aeroplan Diamond Status. Does that mean we will get no fuel surcharges?

Also I just had to change a flight reward and was charged $90. As a Diamond member shouldnt this have been waived.

thanks
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by jorelcuomo
Hello

So will the new changes at AC affect Aeroplan reward flights on AC metal?
Right now we fly everywhere using our aeroplan points but refuse to use AC metal as of their horrendous fuel surcharges are almost as much as a flight many times.

We are Aeroplan Diamond Status. Does that mean we will get no fuel surcharges?

Also I just had to change a flight reward and was charged $90. As a Diamond member shouldnt this have been waived.

thanks

Didnt anyone tell you that the distinction statuses actually dont mean anything, its just a marketing gimmick with no actual benefits?

AC is waving YQ for Altitude Super Elites come next year, but they are still charging $102 for even the slightest change.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Didnt anyone tell you that the distinction statuses actually dont mean anything, its just a marketing gimmick with no actual benefits?
Oh, don't be so harsh. The dStinktion status does have some benefit. If you cannot find regular seats (which would be almost all of the time), you can redeem a whole lot more points to get seats -- called Market Fare redemption. If you have the Dysfunction status, you can get a small % discount of the MF points needed. So instead of needing 120000 points, you might only need to fork out just over 100000 points.

So the aeropeso Dysfunction/dStinktion status is almost useless but not totally useless.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE four years
Fuel Surcharges waved for nominee or companion?

Does anyone know if International Fuel Surcharges for SE on point travel are also waved for the nominee or accompanying travel companion, also on same point acount?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
Originally Posted by Aristides
Does anyone know if International Fuel Surcharges for SE on point travel are also waved for the nominee or accompanying travel companion, also on same point acount?
I'm assuming it's for ANY booking - whether it's myself or I'm booking AP ticket for someone else. They should always waive the Fuel Surcharge for SE. This would make the most sense as, I can use my SE status to book Priority Rewards for other people and also I get first change free for bookings for other people. Also Aeroplan has nothing to do with Nominees or companions (those are Altitude benefits).

How do others understand it?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Ok so does this new Fuel surcharge waiver only apply to Air Canada Frequent flyer points then and not AEROPLAN? So Diamond doesnt get any fuel surcharge waiver on AC metal anywhere. Is that correct?

Thanks
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok so does this new Fuel surcharge waiver only apply to Air Canada Frequent flyer points then and not AEROPLAN? So Diamond doesnt get any fuel surcharge waiver on AC metal anywhere. Is that correct?

Thanks
No, Diamond means nothing. Repeat. There are no benefits.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

such crap. I was hoping to not pay Air Canada fuel scam charges!
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by philelite
I'm assuming it's for ANY booking - whether it's myself or I'm booking AP ticket for someone else. They should always waive the Fuel Surcharge for SE. This would make the most sense as, I can use my SE status to book Priority Rewards for other people and also I get first change free for bookings for other people. Also Aeroplan has nothing to do with Nominees or companions (those are Altitude benefits).

How do others understand it?
That is how I understand it. Note that this is for flights operated by AC only. Fly any other airline on the itinerary and you will pay the surcharge for that leg. And there is a maximum of 10 bookings (PNR) per year. So if you book 10 flights for 10 other people and you aren't on any of those flights, the benefit is still used up.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

such crap. I was hoping to not pay Air Canada fuel scam charges!
Just fly on an airline that Air Canada doesnt charge scamcharges on award tickets on?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yscleo
Oh, don't be so harsh. The dStinktion status does have some benefit. If you cannot find regular seats (which would be almost all of the time), you can redeem a whole lot more points to get seats -- called Market Fare redemption. If you have the Dysfunction status, you can get a small % discount of the MF points needed. So instead of needing 120000 points, you might only need to fork out just over 100000 points.

So the aeropeso Dysfunction/dStinktion status is almost useless but not totally useless.

dStinktion....Dysfunction

LOLOLOLOL

No, Diamond means nothing. Repeat. There are no benefits.

Don't be so harsh. dDiamond gets you deals on .....toasters
Oh wait, I just looked at the email...30% off BMW 20" spinner luggage and you win 153 Aeroplan miles.

Come on, isn't it exciting?????

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 30, 2014 at 12:42 am
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ridefar
That is how I understand it. Note that this is for flights operated by AC only. Fly any other airline on the itinerary and you will pay the surcharge for that leg. And there is a maximum of 10 bookings (PNR) per year. So if you book 10 flights for 10 other people and you aren't on any of those flights, the benefit is still used up.
10 flights is for IKK. You can still book unlimited classic international rewards and not pay fuel surcharges.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:39 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Just fly on an airline that Air Canada doesnt charge scamcharges on award tickets on?
I think they are pretty much collecting on all of them these days - whether that is published or not.

I thought it was just AC, LH, TG, LO, OZ, TG per the fuel surcharge announcement that they came into effect on Nov 30, 2011. However, on my redemption last night, we were charged YQ on AC, OZ, SQ, AI, TK. It matched to the dollar what was being charged per ita software per segment.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:40 pm

Programs: A3 Silver
It's a fair mistake. Aeroplan / altitude is so convoluted and complicated as a program.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
I think they are pretty much collecting on all of them these days - whether that is published or not.

I thought it was just AC, LH, TG, LO, OZ, TG per the fuel surcharge announcement that they came into effect on Nov 30, 2011. However, on my redemption last night, we were charged YQ on AC, OZ, SQ, AI, TK. It matched to the dollar what was being charged per ita software per segment.
Really? I booked IST - YUL in J and was only charged a Turkish airport fee of $16.80.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.