Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How do you buy an "open" return economy ticket? Does such a fare even exist?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)

How do you buy an "open" return economy ticket for international flights? Does such a fare even exist?

Back in the day (like when I was still in school) I remember my parents used to buy open return tickets (not specific to Air Canada). The prices were reasonable -not super cheap, but not latitude level expensive. All one had to do was to call into reservations and inform them when you want the return ticket to be. No extra charge.

Does this exist anymore?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:31 am

You would probably need to book a full fare with the return at the latest possible date (1 yr less a day?), and then rebook the return as needed... A costly proposition when reasonable one-way fares now exist for many markets.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I sometimes do this... but with flight passes... since you can book one ways and thus negates any sort of Saturday-night-stay requirement.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:49 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
If you can't commit to a FP, you can just buy a restricted ticket with the return 1 year out. Then change it when you're ready. It'll cost you $300 for the change fee + fare difference, but will still be cheaper than a Latitude ticket.

The other way to do it is Aeroplan, since the one-way rewards are now 50%. Bonus if your return is after March 1st, since as SE you'll have your YQ waived.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Although, nowadays, buying a ticket without a known return tends to trigger alarm bells... which is why I don't do it much even on a FP...
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:54 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Although, nowadays, buying a ticket without a known return tends to trigger alarm bells... which is why I don't do it much even on a FP...
Even within North America? I do this all the time, either via regular purchases or flight passes. I think that within Canada and the U.S. this won't trigger any bells. I've never flown international without a return though. Tough to do unless you have a FP or want to pay Latitude.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yvr76
Even within North America? I do this all the time, either via regular purchases or flight passes. I think that within Canada and the U.S. this won't trigger any bells. I've never flown international without a return though. Tough to do unless you have a FP or want to pay Latitude.
Sorry, I was thinking of International when typing that. I can't comment on NA. i would assume domestic it would be fine, but perhaps USA not so much with their fear mongering. But then again, seems like you know what the experience is.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Sorry, I was thinking of International when typing that. I can't comment on NA. i would assume domestic it would be fine, but perhaps USA not so much with their fear mongering. But then again, seems like you know what the experience is.
The only country that's ever cared about seeing proof of return travel for me has been the Phillippines (and oddly a roundtrip ticket, of all things).
Old Nov 9, 2014, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
One way tix on international tickets are insanely priced... rather buy the return ticket at tango and forego the one way lol.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
If you are going to Europe, Air Transat has reasonably priced one way tickets, so you can book your trip to Europe now and then book the return when you know the date some time down the road.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by The Lev
If you are going to Europe, Air Transat has reasonably priced one way tickets, so you can book your trip to Europe now and then book the return when you know the date some time down the road.
I got a great deal last year through Iceland Air for a one way ticket YYZ-AMS, the added bonus was the stop in Iceland which I extended for free into an overnight stopover

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.