Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What if AP points worked like this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:00 am
Formerly known as tireman77
Original Poster

OK. Many people here are really annoyed by the current AP redemption system. Full discolour: I don't love it, but I don't hate it either, sort of...meh.

The background of the system is merchants pay AP to give you points as an incentive to buy from them. A buddy of mine used to own a store that offered AP points and it cost him apx 2% (2 cent per mile cost).

So... what if AP decided that starting Jan 1st, 20XX you're AP points we worth 2 cents each and you could use them to purchase any ticket on any *A carrier at the dollar value, all in. (OK, maybe legally the GST/PST/HST on some of the fees would need to be paid out of pocket, but thats it)

Let's also say you can get the AQM/AQS according to the fare ticket. Same change/cancel fees as the fare class.

Example, you find a fare for YUL-LHR in Tango for $800 = 40,000 points. YYZ-HKG in J for $5,000 = 250,000 points.

This is all very hypothetical, and I'll admit I'm not a fan (since I use miles for far off planned trips in J/F to far off, exit places) but I'm curious how people would react to this. It does not take into account the cost structure at AP, so the 2 cents per mile is a 'dart-thrown at a board' estimate. But to keep the concept as clear and easy as possible, I'm suggesting it.

Thoughts?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:07 am

250K points for J ?

AP somewhat already does this with MarketFares
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by tireman77
OK. Many people here are really annoyed by the current AP redemption system. Full discolour: I don't love it, but I don't hate it either, sort of...meh.

The background of the system is merchants pay AP to give you points as an incentive to buy from them. A buddy of mine used to own a store that offered AP points and it cost him apx 2% (2 cent per mile cost).

So... what if AP decided that starting Jan 1st, 20XX you're AP points we worth 2 cents each and you could use them to purchase any ticket on any *A carrier at the dollar value, all in. (OK, maybe legally the GST/PST/HST on some of the fees would need to be paid out of pocket, but thats it)

Let's also say you can get the AQM/AQS according to the fare ticket. Same change/cancel fees as the fare class.

Example, you find a fare for YUL-LHR in Tango for $800 = 40,000 points. YYZ-HKG in J for $5,000 = 250,000 points.

This is all very hypothetical, and I'll admit I'm not a fan (since I use miles for far off planned trips in J/F to far off, exit places) but I'm curious how people would react to this. It does not take into account the cost structure at AP, so the 2 cents per mile is a 'dart-thrown at a board' estimate. But to keep the concept as clear and easy as possible, I'm suggesting it.

Thoughts?
I would still prefer flying on an airline that doesn't charge YQ and having the same system
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: A3*G, OZ*G, OW Sapphire
Hell NO
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I agree with imverge and Skyborne Flyer!
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:01 am

tireman, can I interest you in investigating the implementation (and popularity) of the B6, VX, and NZ programs?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:27 am

It won't be 2 cents a mile but it'll be 1 cent per mile, maximum. That changes the value proposition considerably.

Currently it already costs 6000-6500 Aeroplan miles for a $50 giftcard, so 1 cent per mile is the highest they could possibly go (and on base fares only).

At which point they should just rename themselves to Westjet Dollars
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:35 am

That's an awful value, as Aeroplan already has that to an extent, which are market fares. I'm happy going wherever and whenever I want for under 100k in business class which is much cheaper than anything you'd get at a fixed price rebate system.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Agreed. As I stated, I don't like it neither, but was curious to hear people's opinion.

So this doesn't work, and no one likes the current system. Anybody want to suggest something else?

And please don't say the current system without YQs. I love a pet monkey that poos gold coins, but that's not gonna happen either.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
My feelings are inline with everyone else's here... the value of your proposition would be relatively terrible, much like the existing market fares.

Honestly, I wouldn't be too upset if the redemption levels went up a little from their current levels *if* the surcharges went down. That being said, your idea would turn a 15,000 short-haul award ticket into potentially a 35,000-ish ticket, so I'm not a fan.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffsim
My feelings are inline with everyone else's here... the value of your proposition would be relatively terrible, much like the existing market fares.

Honestly, I wouldn't be too upset if the redemption levels went up a little from their current levels *if* the surcharges went down. That being said, your idea would turn a 15,000 short-haul award ticket into potentially a 35,000-ish ticket, so I'm not a fan.
Like I said. I was throwing a number out there. Also wondering if getting AQM/AQS was an incentive. I'm basically trying to brainstorm a little. Positive proactive ideas instead of just a bunch of complaining.

So what's reasonable for you?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Like I said. I was throwing a number out there. Also wondering if getting AQM/AQS was an incentive. I'm basically trying to brainstorm a little. Positive proactive ideas instead of just a bunch of complaining.

The ability to pay off YQ charges with aeropesos. Not sure as to how much I would pay though...
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry

It all depends on how the redemption levels are established. Where did the 15,000 and 25,000 levels come from? I think I'd want to see the result of including YQ in the redemption level and take it from there. If short haul moved to say 20,000 and includes YQ, I think I'd be happy with that. Just off the top of my head
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:19 am

What's reasonable to the customer means nothing.

What Aimia is willing to give is everything.

I think if customers were allowed to pay taxes and fuel surcharges with Aeroplan points at a penny a mile, more people would still feel like they got their free trip, rather than feel like there's no way to get a decent redemption.

I mean, 60k base rate + 100k for YQ and taxes to Europe in economy is a terrible redemption for everybody on FT, but it's better than 60k + $1000 for the guy who doesn't value his Aeroplan miles much
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
I like the idea of paying for (some of) the YQ with extra points.

I often have a lot of extra miles, but I prefer keeping my cash for other activities at the destination.@:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.