Wiki Posts
Search

Whining about wine - TATL Y cabin

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by mapleg
Har. Sunwing champagne flights..you get roughly a thimble of the worst grade sparkling wine on board.
Of course, but its still a marketing gimmick and it works.... just like 4* airline... it doesnt matter you only get a thimble of the worst grade 4*ness.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by jcoop
I didn't even realize that AC offered complimentary alcoholic beverages in Y on international flights! They don't exactly go out of their way to make this clear to passengers... typical AC that they hide something that others consider a perk. I spent several hours listening to the radio this weekend, hearing the same Sunwing commercial in which they advertise 'champagne flights' or something similar.
Is that a fact? (Announcement Excerpt) "......accompanied by your favourite selection of complementary bar and beverages."

Last edited by ACYYZ/SD; Oct 21, 2014 at 4:59 pm
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Is that a fact? (Announcement Excerpt) "......accompanied by your favourite selection of complementary bar and beverages."
Good to see you chime in here YYZ/SD . Can you confirm that those seated in Y can in fact have two bar drinks at a time, or is there indeed a prohibition style rule that the FA in question was referencing to?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kwflyer
Good to see you chime in here YYZ/SD . Can you confirm that those seated in Y can in fact have two bar drinks at a time, or is there indeed a prohibition style rule that the FA in question was referencing to?
I can confirm you can have up to 4 bar drinks at 1 time. I haven't tried for more as I feel i'm pushing it. (this is >90% true for mainline (for a >4 hour flight). I have never been able to get served more than 2 at a time on Express
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:15 am

You should know that FFs (and probably most pax) don't actually listen to the announcements you make, right? All we hear is "food's coming!" and I have come to expect nothing free beyond the bare minimum.

Maybe if the announcement was something like "... accompanied by your choice of complimentary beverages including wine and spirits" I would actually hear the key words and take them to heart.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
You should know that FFs (and probably most pax) don't actually listen to the announcements you make, right? All we hear is "food's coming!" and I have come to expect nothing free beyond the bare minimum.

Maybe if the announcement was something like "... accompanied by your choice of complimentary beverages including wine and spirits" I would actually hear the key words and take them to heart.
Well, if you're not listening to the announcement, what difference does it make how that announcement is worded?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport

I find this thread very peculiar, given the copious amounts of liquor we serve on flights. The Americans know it (as they make mention of it and cite it as a benefit over their own carriers), the Scandinavians know it (given the astronomical amount of liquor consumed on the CPH flight), the Japanese know it (NRT/HND being probably the only routes where beer uplifts are required). The question is why don't FT'ers know it??

Promote free booze as a strategic selling benefit? Probably M.A.D.D. and other advocacy groups would have something to say about. Rest assured there has never been a directive to conceal or hide our liquor stocks.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:35 pm

Because FA's never explicitly tell people that alcoholic drinks are free? I bet if you started asking each customer directly if they would like some complimentary wine or beer with their lunch/dinner you would get a much higher uptake, and better customer satisfaction to boot.

After endless 'enhancements' and attempts to improve market segmentation/wring money out customers, your average pax has no hope of figuring out what is or is not included with their ticket. Checked baggage fees on flights to Canada/US/Mexico/TATL? Meals included on some flights, buy on board on others? Free drinks?

I've just taken the approach that any AC Tango economy ticket includes nothing except the seat, that way I'll never be disappointed.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I find this thread very peculiar, given the copious amounts of liquor we serve on flights. The Americans know it (as they make mention of it and cite it as a benefit over their own carriers), the Scandinavians know it (given the astronomical amount of liquor consumed on the CPH flight), the Japanese know it (NRT/HND being probably the only routes where beer uplifts are required). The question is why don't FT'ers know it??

Promote free booze as a strategic selling benefit? Probably M.A.D.D. and other advocacy groups would have something to say about. Rest assured there has never been a directive to conceal or hide our liquor stocks.

Thanks for the demographics. Add the noted liquor habits to the other thread where certain pax wander into J and grab all the chocolate bars and we have some interesting consumer insight.

Also, looking back to the first post of this thread, the OP was just commenting on the snippy tone of the FA when requesting additional wine. OP can correct me, but I believe it was more about the tone/service of the FA as opposed to the quantity. Somehow, this thread has evolved into who drinks how much of what, which is fine, of course.

I was just curious if OP's experience was an exception and FA perhaps had a bad day, or as I asked earlier, if there is a limit of some sort.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Mine is mundane. J pax EWR/YVR. Went to the back to chat with a friend. Sat in open seat next to friend. FA came offering drinks. I asked for Cranberry juice. FA said no. Said I have to return to J to get cranberry juice. Priceless.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Lllahim
Mine is mundane. J pax EWR/YVR. Went to the back to chat with a friend. Sat in open seat next to friend. FA came offering drinks. I asked for Cranberry juice. FA said no. Said I have to return to J to get cranberry juice. Priceless.

PRICELESS !!!!!! indeed

Did you go back to J and get your cranberry juice or were there additional instructions?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by 24left
PRICELESS !!!!!! indeed

Did you go back to J and get your cranberry juice or were there additional instructions?
Lost my thirst.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: AC MM E50, AF Flying Blue
I find this thread very peculiar, given the copious amounts of liquor we serve on flights.
I also find it peculiar as I have seen booze being served free in Y on AC (TATL, TPAC) for as long as I can remember...
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Because FA's never explicitly tell people that alcoholic drinks are free? I bet if you started asking each customer directly if they would like some complimentary wine or beer with their lunch/dinner you would get a much higher uptake, and better customer satisfaction to boot.
Out of anything you could possibly complain about, this is your beef?

Whatever happened to people asking?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Out of anything you could possibly complain about, this is your beef?

Whatever happened to people asking?
When liquor is complementary, I highlight the fact in my announcements. That plus the distribution of it in Y/C without any money or credit cards being exchanged is usually apparent. Bear in mind that a significant number of Customers do not drink alcohol, and simply asking if one would like a beverage with their meal is sufficient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.