Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Lower requalification level option for next year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SEMM

If I get E75K and then in January choose the lower re-qualification option privilege for the following year (70K instead of 75K) does that also provide 45k instead of 50K for the next year's E50K level? If it does not then it might be a reason NOT to go for 75K if I think that I won't make 70K the following year.

Last edited by Geoflying; Sep 22, 2014 at 1:54 pm Reason: fix typo
Old Sep 22, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Geoflying
If I get E75K and then in January choose the lower re-qualification option privilege for the following year (70K instead of 75K) does that also provide 45k instead of 50K for the next year's E50K level? If it does not then it might be a reason NOT to go for 75K if I think that I won't make 70K the following year.
No, it's only for that qualification level. It won't work for E50K or S100K.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:35 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
I think this is a very valid question. I would agree that on the way "up" - you would not be able to have lower qualification (i.e. - I was E50 then I get 70K - so can I get E75???") - - But - on the way down - it would be quite an insult if they don't let you get E50 at 45K - - when - if you were E50 - you could have selected the same.

This is one that should be looked into because it would only be fair.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:34 am
alc

Maybe this is something Ben can help us change in the next year?

In the past, these are free 5000 AQM to the member where we can actually spend it whether we re-qualify or not. Understand they might want to reduce the cost for the free 5000 miles, but the ffact now it only reduced the requirement and only for you re-qualify with your current status level, it is not as flexible as it used to be.

Also would like to see an option to reduce the number of AQS as well. Especially since Tango fare now get AQS, but only 25%. So people like myself can't really benefit from the lower AQM requirement as I now qualify on AQS only.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
I think this is a very valid question. I would agree that on the way "up" - you would not be able to have lower qualification (i.e. - I was E50 then I get 70K - so can I get E75???") - - But - on the way down - it would be quite an insult if they don't let you get E50 at 45K - - when - if you were E50 - you could have selected the same.

This is one that should be looked into because it would only be fair.
You're right that it would "only be fair" and that AC should look at changing it. But as yvr76 and alc point out, the lower requalification privilege affects the current level only. This was confirmed by Air Canada Altitude when the Altitude program was launched.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: AC - SE, SPG - Platinum, HGP - Diamond
Hate to side with AC but...this benefit is there to incent you to achieve at least same level again and particularly aimed at those who just qualified. Why would it be in AC's interest to incent you to qualify for a lower level?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by wolvie007
Hate to side with AC but...this benefit is there to incent you to achieve at least same level again and particularly aimed at those who just qualified. Why would it be in AC's interest to incent you to qualify for a lower level?
Because it would more closely resemble the previously available option of receiving lump sum AQMs
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:42 am
alc

Originally Posted by ffsim
Originally Posted by wolvie007
Because it would more closely resemble the previously available option of receiving lump sum AQMs
Or at least change it so if will help you re-qualify for a higher status, which will be something AC be interest, I would think.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:13 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
I've never understood the value of this option. It is only useful if you can predict, a year ahead of time, exactly how many miles you'll end up with. If you undershoot the target by more than 5K miles, or if you overshoot the target by even 1 mile, then it's useless -- you have to land in exactly a 5K window for it to have any value.

Perhaps others can predict this level of accuracy a full year in advance, but the way it works right now, it seems totally useless to me.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by alc

In the past, these are free 5000 AQM to the member where we can actually spend it whether we re-qualify or not. Understand they might want to reduce the cost for the free 5000 miles, but the ffact now it only reduced the requirement and only for you re-qualify with your current status level, it is not as flexible as it used to be.

Also would like to see an option to reduce the number of AQS as well. Especially since Tango fare now get AQS, but only 25%. So people like myself can't really benefit from the lower AQM requirement as I now qualify on AQS only.
I wonder if they stopped the free 5,000 AQM's because of the terms of the Aeroplan contract which we now seem to understand requires that AC not issue any AQM's without actually issuing an Aeroplan mile (thus - you could not actually give the 5,000 without first having to pay to Aeroplan).
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by canopus27
I've never understood the value of this option. It is only useful if you can predict, a year ahead of time, exactly how many miles you'll end up with. If you undershoot the target by more than 5K miles, or if you overshoot the target by even 1 mile, then it's useless -- you have to land in exactly a 5K window for it to have any value.

Perhaps others can predict this level of accuracy a full year in advance, but the way it works right now, it seems totally useless to me.
Quite the opposite; it's insurance for those who are not certain to make a given threshold but expect to be within 5,000 miles of it. Has worked for me 2 years in a row... I finished at 46k last year and am sitting at 49.5k this year with no further travel planned.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by alc

Actually, the AQS number is already reduced with this option. It's 45k AQM or 45 AQS for requalifying as E50. And how is my flying looking this year, I'll actually take advantage of it, since it looks like I'll finish the year with 48 AQS .
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:58 am
alc

Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
Actually, the AQS number is already reduced with this option. It's 45k AQM or 45 AQS for requalifying as E50. And how is my flying looking this year, I'll actually take advantage of it, since it looks like I'll finish the year with 48 AQS .
Thanks for the info. Didn't know that. Hopefully AC mgmt will be reading this thread and at least allow this reduce qualification apply to higher status.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by alc
Thanks for the info. Didn't know that. Hopefully AC mgmt will be reading this thread and at least allow this reduce qualification apply to higher status.
I certainly hope so. Since some of my trips were moved to next year, I'm thinking about shooting for E75.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:24 pm
Flying Blue Director

Just an update: if you select this benefit, the option is only valid for the tier at which it was issued so if you pick it as an E75K, it wouldn't apply to other levels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.