Wiki Posts
Search

Guesting into UC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by drvannostren
it's all fine to me, I'm not looking for Grey Goose or Belvedere and micro brews in a lounge.
I agree - But I think AC strikes a nice middle ground with Guinness in the fridge, big beer glasses and wine and spirits that are drinkable.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by gglave
I agree - But I think AC strikes a nice middle ground with Guinness in the fridge, big beer glasses and wine and spirits that are drinkable.
How many lounges does AC operate? 20? And how many are domestic with a small number of pax if compared with the US airlines.

The US airlines operate in a competitive environment focused on cost cutting, really no surprise the quality of food and booze in the lounges is so poor, yet people still keep buying memberships.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
The free beer is just american beer, u get what u expect, Tito's vodka, some cheap rum, it's all fine to me, I'm not looking for Grey Goose or Belvedere and micro brews in a lounge.
If it's Titos vodka they are serving then that is awesome stuff. Great vodka at a reasonable price..I will buy a bottle of that when I am in the US before a lot of the more pricey stuff! Google Titos and look up on Wikipedia about it !
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Plumber
If it's Titos vodka they are serving then that is awesome stuff.
A Tito's pour at a United Club is $7 (+ tip).

I assume part of the reason for the higher costs is that United has paid bartenders at all their clubs. Presume this is due to regulatory reasons.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I'll take gglave's word for it. I've had free vodka at the UCs, I could've sworn they said it was Tito's, not that I really care that much though.

On a related note, I spent $50 recently to spend 3.5 hours in the Admiral's Club at MIA (I forget which one, I was told it was the bigger of the 2), obvs not really worth 50$ but it was nice, relaxing and I drank enough to make it worth my while.

That's really what I look for in the lounges, the booze, consistent wifi and a good place to sit (I prefer to sit at the desks/tables so I can use my ipad/laptop). I hate that in many US airports they promote that Boingo garbage, in 2014 wifi shouldn't be used as a revenue stream imo. If you wanna add $1 to my AIF, in exchange for wifi, do it.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
If you wanna add $1 to my AIF, in exchange for wifi, do it.
+1 Charging to connect to WiFi in 2014 is lame. It's not new technology anymore and it certainly isn't expensive to install.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 172pilot
+1 Charging to connect to WiFi in 2014 is lame. It's not new technology anymore and it certainly isn't expensive to install.
Actually, it can be very expensive to install.

A busy airport can have tens-of-thousands of simultaneous connections. To support that you need sophisticated commercial-grade routers and a lot of bandwidth at a cost of tens of thousands of dollars per month.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
deleted
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
I'm not looking for Grey Goose or Belvedere and micro brews in a lounge.
You clearly have not been to the YQB lounge lately
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:12 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kwflyer
You clearly have not been to the YQB lounge lately
Went into there on Friday... wow. Of course it's not an actual MLL lounge, keep in mind!
Old Sep 8, 2014, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
At least with UA, you get access throughout any journey to/from Canada including before domestic connections. There is no ambiguity, all Canada itins say INTL on all connecting BPs
Rank....who is confirming this? I have written to UA and have a written response that Canada is not international for this purpose on a P fare.......yet only once or twice has the agent at the RCC tried to refuse me....very confusing

Is it written clearly somewhere so i can print it off?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by bizorbetter
Rank....who is confirming this? I have written to UA and have a written response that Canada is not international for this purpose on a P fare.......yet only once or twice has the agent at the RCC tried to refuse me....very confusing

Is it written clearly somewhere so i can print it off?
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ge/access.aspx

Canada is, and always has been international, there is no fine print like at AA that Canada is excluded.

I have never been refused, or even questioned, even on the 2nd/3rd domestic connection.

All Canada itineraries have a big INTL printed on the boarding pass, there is no ambiguitiy about Canada.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:08 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
I'll take gglave's word for it. I've had free vodka at the UCs, I could've sworn they said it was Tito's, not that I really care that much though.
Tito's is served onboard UA flights, but not as a free option in UC. I think they are serving McCormick's vodka as house vodka.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Tito's is served onboard UA flights, but not as a free option in UC. I think they are serving McCormick's vodka as house vodka.

Correct. Full list is on the wiki here -

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ition-etc.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.