Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
Potential issue when E75k members select Preferred Seats

As you may know, we have recently introduced an expanded Preferred Seats product. It has come to our attention that certain Altitude Elite 75K members, when travelling on a Flex fare and attempting to select a Preferred Seat, are being prompted for a fee. We will be proactively refunding any affected eligible customers, however should this affect your ability to reserve Preferred Seats, you can contact Air Canada.

We are actively working on fixing this error, and are confident it will be resolved by the beginning of next week. For more information regarding Preferred Seats eligibility, please visit:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/traveller/seatselection/preferredseats.html

Starting April 7, 2014, Air Canada expanded the number of Preferred Seats offered across its narrow-body fleet, that is, the E75, E90, A319, A320 and A321 aircraft.

With more Preferred Seats being available, customers can:
• Enjoy more comfort, with up to 4” (more in the exit row) of additional leg room, more legroom to stretch out, relax and work
• Easily identify Preferred Seats in the cabin with the dedicated head tidies
• Deplane quickly as most Preferred Seats are located to the front of the cabin seats with additional leg room
• Ask your travel agent to make Preferred Seat selection for GDS bookings

Air Canada’s entire mainline narrow-body fleet, as well as Embraer 175 aircraft, operating on behalf of SkyRegional, has now been re-configured with additional Preferred Seats.

Air Canada will implement the following changes to the Preferred Seat program in phases:

Phase 1:
• Starting August 15, 2014, eligibility for Preferred Seats will be streamlined based on status or fare paid.

• Preferred Seats purchased on/after August 15, will be calculated by segment vs by bound (i.e. from origin to destination). Therefore if a customer has an itinerary YYZ-YYC-YVR, the Preferred Seat fee will be calculated based on the amount for each segment. (Prior to August 15, the fee would have been calculated for the entire YYZ-YVR journey as one fee.) This ensures better access to Preferred Seats on each segment, as it's not always easy to guarantee seating on an an entire journey, especially if there is an IROP or aircraft downgauge.

• Preferred Seats will remain accessible to everyone when the flight is open for check-in, as it is today.

Phase 2:
• Later this summer, Preferred Seats will be sold during the check-in window at kiosk, web and mobile applications.

Also, as of today, you can now book Preferred Seats for Flight Pass bookings.

Eligibility for Complimentary Preferred Seat Selection:

Fees for Preferred Seats:
North American & Caribbean: $19 to $99
International: $69 to $199

Note the price will differ based on Tango vs Flex fares. With regards to the previous fee table, some routes offer less expensive Preferred Seats while others have gone up in price.
Print Wikipost

Expanded Access to Preferred Seats

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alt E50K, Marriott (Gold)
Expanded Access to Preferred Seats

Got got off the phone with AC trying to do a seat selection.

Seems as of today those preferred seats all cost something now depending on location in the row even if you have status. No more free preferred for the preferred :-( Geezzz. I feel the squeeze.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
No, it depends. If you buy Tango then you have to pay, if you're on FLEX, as a E50k SOME are pay, online it's the yellow/gold star seats that are pay (which are free for 75k and up) the blue star seats are free. I'm not sure why you'd wanna phone them to do this though, I much prefer just doing it online and using the seat map, it makes more sense that way.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Watch out! Preferred seats for E members are being charged

Just booked a flight and noticed that I was being charged for preferred seats. I thought it was one off, until I changed a flight in another itinerary. This time I caught the error so I called into AC. They said AC IT is transitioning to some sort of different system and that even she could not assign me the preferred seat I wanted. She said it'll be approx 24 hours until the issue is resolved.

Just a headsup to everyone! - and yes, it was on a Flex fare
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
It looks like the long-awaited new preferred seat policy is now live. Details available at

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...rredseats.html

General outline as follows:

You'll enjoy complimentary Preferred seat selection for you and your travel companion(s) if you are:

an Altitude member travelling on a Latitude fare;
an Altitude Super Elite 100K member travelling on a Flex or Tango fare, or an Aeroplan Flight Reward;
an Altitude Elite 75K member travelling on a Flex fare;
an Altitude Elite 50K member travelling on a Flex fare in Canada or between Canada and the U.S.

You'll save 50% on Preferred seat charges for you and your travel companion(s) if you are:

an Altitude Elite 50K member travelling on a Flex fare between Canada and an international destination;
an Altitude Elite 35K or Prestige 25K member travelling on a Flex fare.

For all other customers, prices (including taxes) per one-way flight segment are based on your itinerary:

North America and Caribbean International
$ 19 to $ 99 $ 69 to $ 199
You can see the exact price of a Preferred seat during the booking process, by going to the Manage my Bookings tab, or when you check in for your flight online, on your mobile device or at a self-serve kiosk.

Overall, I think the policy is fair.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:27 pm
Flying Blue Director

Official announcement is coming tomorrow, but this has to do with expanded access to the Preferred seats.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: E50K, *Gold, WS Gold,VIA Premier, VIPorter
Does this mean that as an E35K travelling on a Domestic Flex flight pass, I don't even have access to the bulkhead free of charge? If so, it is kind of annoying they changed this mid-benefit period..
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by VoodooYYC

I agree, it also gives a distinct benefit to 75k over 50k. Personally I have felt that 75k wasn't providing many benefits over 50k, so this is good for those flyers.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I agree, it also gives a distinct benefit to 75k over 50k. Personally I have felt that 75k wasn't providing many benefits over 50k, so this is good for those flyers.
That benefit was there all along. No change. Do 50K have access to Exit Row free on NA flights? Previously they were restricted to bulk head. That will be a good change for them.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: AC; Fairmont Plat; Accor Plat; SPG Plat, BA Gold; A3*G; AB Gold;
Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
<snip>

For all other customers, prices (including taxes) per one-way flight segment are based on your itinerary:

North America and Caribbean International
$ 19 to $ 99 $ 69 to $ 199
You can see the exact price of a Preferred seat during the booking process, by going to the Manage my Bookings tab, or when you check in for your flight online, on your mobile device or at a self-serve kiosk.

Just caught this now, but another significant difference seems to be that preferred seats will now be charged for (for "all other customers") even at OLCI, unless I'm completely mis-reading what has be written above.

In the past, my no-status parents have been able to select the remaining available preferred seats at OLCI. It appears now that UA E+ style, if you want to sit in the seat at anytime, you'll have to pay for it.

I like the idea in principle, but if this is in fact the case, and the FA's are going to be chasing down seat-switchers on-board with the CC machine, the pre-departure routine could become a little hectic!

Last edited by jantaoYVR; Aug 14, 2014 at 4:48 pm Reason: typo/grammar
Old Aug 14, 2014, 5:13 pm

Still waiting for the day that they create more preferred seats on the Q400s... all the seats is crap in there except 1B
Old Aug 14, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by jantaoYVR
In the past, my no-status parents have been able to select the remaining available preferred seats at OLCI. It appears now that UA E+ style, if you want to sit in the seat at anytime, you'll have to pay for it.

I like the idea in principle, but if this is in fact the case, and the FA's are going to be chasing down seat-switchers on-board with the CC machine, the pre-departure routine could become a little hectic!
Why do you "like the idea in principle". Is it because your parents can no longer select unoccupied seats or because AC has found a way to make even more money? Or something else? UA does not charge its elites for E+.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 5:30 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by Lllahim
That benefit was there all along. No change. Do 50K have access to Exit Row free on NA flights? Previously they were restricted to bulk head. That will be a good change for them.
No more distinction between Exit and Bulkhead seats. They are all considered as Preferred seats now so eligibility will be as per the webpage that's posted above.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: AC; Fairmont Plat; Accor Plat; SPG Plat, BA Gold; A3*G; AB Gold;
Originally Posted by Lllahim
Why do you "like the idea in principle". Is it because your parents can no longer select unoccupied seats or because AC has found a way to make even more money? Or something else? UA does not charge its elites for E+.
The comment was entirely surrounding the access to these seats for NON-status members. UA charges all non-status members for those seats (unless on a full-fare ticket)

I like the idea in principle because if the airline is monetizing the seat pre-check in, I think they should continue to do so after OLCI becomes available.

This also allows for status members booking inside the 24-hr pre-departure window (as I've often had to do) to retain some access to preferred seats.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Seems pretty similar to what they had before as far as my E50k Flex fare domestic flying goes. The rules are fair imo.

My only problem is when I looked at an A320 recently it seemed like there was ALOT of "preferred seats".

1. If there's no extra legroom, and the only benefit is deplaning earlier, then they really aren't preferred because Row 18 then 19 there's maybe 30 seconds different? So where do you draw that line?

2. No middle seat should be preferred. Personally I think that's a joke, even in row 12, sure you get off faster and a bit of legroom but that should be a free seat, hell...make all middle seats free choice, then make the preferred ones row 12-20 instead of 12-18 or whatever.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by drvannostren

2. No middle seat should be preferred. Personally I think that's a joke, even in row 12, sure you get off faster and a bit of legroom but that should be a free seat, hell...make all middle seats free choice, then make the preferred ones row 12-20 instead of 12-18 or whatever.
If this means the preferred middle seat will be more likely to remain unclaimed, then I think this is a win- de facto seat blocking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.