Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Calgary Maple Leaf Lounge Access Policy Change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.

Just posted by AC: http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/140729.html

Calgary Maple Leaf Lounge gets a makeover
July 29, 2014

As Calgary International Airport undertakes the expansion of its terminal facilities, the Air Canada Maple Lounge footprint has been reduced temporarily for the airport to build a new connection corridor.

Construction work affecting the Lounge is expected to last 18 months, so we’ve taken this opportunity to give our Maple Leaf Lounge a makeover! When all this is over in September 2015, we’ll be serving up a brand new expanded Maple Leaf Lounge with new features and enhanced amenities to serve you better than ever.

Access
Due to the reduced space availability, it will not be possible to purchase lounge access as a travel option or to redeem a Maple Leaf Lounge One-Time Guest Pass to access the Calgary Maple Leaf Lounge for the duration of construction.

In addition, between 11:30 am and 6:30 pm, Lounge access will be restricted to the following customers:

Air Canada customers holding a Business Class ticket
Altitude Super Elite 100K members, accompanied by one guest
Altitude Elite 75K, Elite 50K, Elite 35K members*
Star Alliance Gold members*
Maple Leaf Club Worldwide members*
Outside of the restricted hours, the Lounge will operate normally and we welcome all eligible members and their guests to come relax as they wait for their flight.

* No guests will be permitted.

Personally visiting this lounge many times I can fully understand the access restrictions as it's always VERY busy in this lounge.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Good temporary move, I agree its crowded in there many of times.

Short term pain for long term gain
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K
The YYC lounge is insane before the LHR/FRA/NRT flights leave on a daily basis (and we don't have a transborder lounge at all).

I'm going to be hitting up the lounge this week with the family. I assume I'll be able to guest in my wife and then get my kids in (3 and 5) as well.

If I can't, I'll be sure to be on the internet within minutes registering my complaint.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
While I understand the need for renovation and space constraints, this is still highly irritating for a current 50K, soon to be 75K member. I don't get to travel with my wife very often, and now when we do, I can't even offer her the one benefit that my ongoing travel gets that she really enjoys.

Perhaps AC should reconsider a slight amendment to allow gold level members of their own program (75 and 50K) to bring in a spouse. I have no issues with not bringing co-workers or friends, but basically cutting off my lounge access when I'm travelling with my wife really isn't acceptable.

Redesignate the lounge as International for the duration of the renovation, and deny access to anyone below 50K, credit card holders, pass users, LMU's, etc. But locking out the spouses of your own *G members is too much.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
I was there around 4pm a couple weeks ago and agree that it was too full, but to cut out guests for Elite pax and tell MLL Club holders that they're SOL is slimy, I think. People buy memberships and book tickets assuming they'll have MLL access.

I wonder if this is just temporary for summer, when it seems that more Elite pax are bringing in families?

That being said, I can't come up with a better solution! If its full, its full, and I'd rather they let every Elite in, instead of only a few E35Ks with their wives and three kids and groups of teenagers using their parents' MLL passes over summer!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
While I understand the need for renovation and space constraints, this is still highly irritating for a current 50K, soon to be 75K member. I don't get to travel with my wife very often, and now when we do, I can't even offer her the one benefit that my ongoing travel gets that she really enjoys.

Perhaps AC should reconsider a slight amendment to allow gold level members of their own program (75 and 50K) to bring in a spouse. I have no issues with not bringing co-workers or friends, but basically cutting off my lounge access when I'm travelling with my wife really isn't acceptable.

Redesignate the lounge as International for the duration of the renovation, and deny access to anyone below 50K, credit card holders, pass users, LMU's, etc. But locking out the spouses of your own *G members is too much.
So you want AC to turn away status customers for your wife?
How is that a better sell?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Wait a second. Is this even allowed within *A rule?!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jlisi984
They're really just guidelines. UA doesn't allow lounge access to their own *G domestically.

*Alliance also dictates that *G boards with business class, but UA's zoned boarding has *G board with Zone 2 and their credit card holders.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Originally Posted by Wallace99
So you want AC to turn away status customers for your wife?
How is that a better sell?
Just lower status customers, which is why the lounges are so crowded. 35K's shouldn't have access anyways.

And yes, I will feel the same way when the day comes and I drop down to that status. And I feel the same way about priority boarding. Zone 1 = S100K and J, Zone 2 = E75, E50 & *G, Zone 3 = 35 & 25 and all cc preferreds.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by jlisi984
Easily: just pull the *G sign off the door and you can make the policy whatever the heck you want.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, *G, WS-Gold, Nexus, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz-PC
I always fly solo or with fellow status pax, so this restriction has no impact on me.

However, what I did find interesting when I was in the MLL this morning were the mock-ups of what the "new" lounge will look like (directly to the left of the check in desk). One pic clearly shows a bar setup, complete with counter separating the patrons from the booze and an actual bartender (akin to he UA Lounge setups).

Most definitely NOT looking forward to this config. I'm not what you'd call a heavy user of the 'self-serve' booze currently in place in all of the MLL, however when I do go for a drink or two I prefer to pour it myself, and not have to wait for someone to do it for me, then feel obligated to tip, etc....
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by TravellingGypsy
I always fly solo or with fellow status pax, so this restriction has no impact on me.

However, what I did find interesting when I was in the MLL this morning were the mock-ups of what the "new" lounge will look like (directly to the left of the check in desk). One pic clearly shows a bar setup, complete with counter separating the patrons from the booze and an actual bartender (akin to he UA Lounge setups).

Most definitely NOT looking forward to this config. I'm not what you'd call a heavy user of the 'self-serve' booze currently in place in all of the MLL, however when I do go for a drink or two I prefer to pour it myself, and not have to wait for someone to do it for me, then feel obligated to tip, etc....
Ben has made it clear (I know because I brought it up before) that tipping is not going to be part of the culture in the MLL. Neither expected or supported in any way.

However, to elaborate on your post a bit what has been getting to me about the bar stations in the lounges that do have them is simply the amount of time I now have to waste waiting for an employee to be free to pour it.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
I snapped a picture of the new layout a couple weeks ago.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:05 pm

Got this email today, I guess SE get slightly different wording

Calgary International Airport has undertaken an expansion of its terminal facilities and the Air Canada Maple Leaf™ Lounge footprint has been temporarily reduced for the construction of a connection corridor.
Due to the reduced space availability, the following access restrictions will apply between 11:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m.:
• Altitude Super Elite™ 100K members are limited to one guest
• Maple Leaf Lounge one-time guest passes will not be accepted
Outside the restricted hours, the normal Lounge access policies will apply.
Please note that this is a temporary measure and that our Maple Leaf Lounge will return to full capacity in the summer of 2015.
We’re happy to inform you that we are taking this opportunity to renovate our Maple Leaf Lounge with enhanced amenities to serve you better.
We apologize for any inconvenience this temporary situation may cause.
What is interesting is this will be in place until summer of 2015
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I used one of my (now defunct in Calagary) passes recently for a visit, and I was very disappointed.
- The place was grubby and cramped. It is in dire need of a change and upgrade, it is long overdue.
- Food. Soup tastes like packet soup. Hummus and crackers/nachos are boring and look very tired. Fresh vegetables look sad, and why would I want another bag of those awful pretzels that get flung at us on AC flights? It is/was embarrassing.
-Drink. One fridge and beer draught tap, was locked and not working, and a few of the hard liquor bottles were empty. The choices of booze are very limited.
-Internet. Datavalet, is very poor, I had to stick to LTE on my phone and tethering.

I have, not gone back since then ( voluntarily) and will leave my room for the SEs to "enjoy" whilst I enjoy a quiet Stella at the end of the AC domestic terminal!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.