Wiki Posts
Search

Advice needed on 407 billing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2002, 2:14 pm
ALW
Original Poster

Advice needed on 407 billing

I used Hwy407 a while ago (probably over a month). I usually don't use 407 but I was in a hurry, left late, and traffic was getting bad on the non-toll routes.

I still haven't received a bill. Last time this happened (no bill), I eventually got a second notice with a penalty.

I've been trying to call all day but get busy signals at 1-888-407-0407. I did get through once about 3:30 but after sitting on hold for 20min I got what sounded like a connection, then a busy signal and thrown off.

So I figure I'll just go online and pay what I think it should be, if nothing else that should trigger another mailing right? Is the onlien calculator at www.407etr.com accurate for this? Any other surcharges it doesn't tell me about? (Apart from potentially another late penalty for not receiving the bill)?

Thanks!
andrew
Old Aug 15, 2002, 2:19 pm

Their system is really backloged right now. The online calculator is reasonably accurte, but don't forget the non-transponder fee as well.
Old Aug 15, 2002, 2:21 pm
ALW
Original Poster

The calculator included the $2.65 (I thought it was $2?) non-transponder fee. I think I'll just go ahead and make the payment.

Now I have to decide whether to reward their inability to serve me properly by phone by switching to pre-authorized Visa payments.

Thanks for the quick response!
andrew
Old Aug 15, 2002, 2:24 pm

It went from $2.00 to $2.65 on Jan, 1, 2002.
If you find yourself travelling this route get the transponder. It pays for itself especially if you want to take a rental on the highway. I have with my transponder and it saves a lot of money.
As for their customer it leaves something to be desired. When I compare them to EZ-pass, especially being with their websites. They don't hold a shadow to them .
Old Aug 15, 2002, 3:02 pm

I just got a bill from them... for a trip in mid-June. So the turnaround time is about 2 months.

I made a mistake driving that day, went into the wrong direction. I came out the very next exit and went back in... They charged me $2.65 transponder fee for that 2 minutes of mistake... I paid that fee TWICE that day.

Well, it was an experiment. I will just use 401 from now on.
Old Aug 15, 2002, 3:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MoreMiles:
I just got a bill from them... for a trip in mid-June. So the turnaround time is about 2 months.

I made a mistake driving that day, went into the wrong direction. I came out the very next exit and went back in... They charged me $2.65 transponder fee for that 2 minutes of mistake... I paid that fee TWICE that day.

Well, it was an experiment. I will just use 401 from now on.
</font>
The non-transponder fee is charged each time you use the 407 without a transponder. If you have a transponder you pay only $2.22/month plus your usage.

Old Aug 15, 2002, 3:18 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I've been trying to call all day but get busy signals at 1-888-407-0407. I did get through once about 3:30 but after sitting on hold for 20min I got what sounded like a connection, then a busy signal and thrown off.</font>
Here's what the June statement saids:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
In July we will implement a new billing system to serve you better. During this transition, there may be some delay in answering your call. Please use our automated telephone and web services. We apologize in advance for any temporary inconvenience.</font>
Old Aug 15, 2002, 3:36 pm

Programs: Presto
AW: Also remember that there will be a $2.00 account processing fee charged for every bill that you generate if you don't have a transponder.
Old Aug 15, 2002, 3:43 pm
T3

But, if they sent you the bill on time they wouldn't have the opportunity to generate the extra revenue from the penalty.
Old Aug 15, 2002, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Beware! They will charge $30 late charge if you don't pay your bill on time - even on a $3 trip!
Old Aug 15, 2002, 4:51 pm
ALW
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the replies. These guys remind me a bit of the airport authorities, power handed to them by a government with no accountability at all to go with the power. (Their website still says if you don't pay you won't be able to renew your stickers, but as I recall that was shot down when Mr. Harris started refusing to renew based on charges that were being disputed).

Anyway, last time it happened, my billing address was still my PO Box and they were doing a lousy job of getting the right mail in the right box, so I blamed the post office. Second notice did arrive properly, but with the penalty.

This was many months ago, and when I called to pay it, I was on hold for almost an hour (thanks for the info empress, maybe that's why we can't get through), while waiting I discovered I could pay it online so I did. And a week later I changed my account address to my home address.

MoreMiles, I use 401 whenever possible, I just try to avoid Toronto in the rush hours (and I'm sure 407 gets busy then too, being 3 lanes vs. 6-8).

NoahVail and FlyerAl, I didn't think to pay the $2 since the calculator didn't mention it. Should I pay them another $2 now? I assume (naively perhaps) that they won't charge me $2 to send the statement that my balance is $0 (so I could pay it now, or I could pay it later). If I accidentally pay more than I should, will they charge me $2 every time they send a statement that I have a credit? If they already mailed the bill, and it got lost in the mail but it wasn't due yet (so I'm not into penalties), will they charge the $30 if I'm $2 short? My guess is yes, and no amount of "user pays, cost-recovery rules" will convince me it should.

T3, I actually thought that. I also thought (and think) that having lousy phone service encourages people to use their online system, or to pre-authorize payment. I actually wouldn't mind if they'd tell me the balance online, but [shades of Aeroplan!] their system is completely inadequate in that way.

AlmostThere, I'm paying $4.65 for the privilege of getting on the highway without a transponder ($2.65 + $2); when you say it's only "$2.22 per month plus usage", does "usage" also include a $2 bill-issuing fee? I'm just wondering whether one trip every two months is roughly breakeven ($4.65 vs. $4.44) or if that one trip in two months would cost $6.44 using a transponder (in which case I'd have to use it monthly at $4.22 for the rough breakeven).

Thanks everyone, this is fun!

andrew

[This message has been edited by Andrew Webber (edited 08-15-2002).]
Old Aug 16, 2002, 12:36 am

Probably your best option would be to simply move out of that third world banana republic of a province.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 12:40 am
Original Member

I agree, and it IS on my agenda! All I have to do is secure employment in YVR!

YYZ is really just not my cup of tea anymore.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 6:13 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
The cost of using 407 seems so ridiculously high that I rarely use it. However -- and I know that it's petty, but it gives me a small satisfaction -- I have overpaid by 10c for each of my vehicles. So each month I get a statement showing that my account has a positive balance. They're not quite paying me, but it makes me feel better about charging them something.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 6:54 am

Programs: Presto
AW: I would assume that an unpaid $2 account fee would generate a penalty.

Academic: Before I play, does your 10-cent credit balance generate a bill if you have no other activity? Would you incur the $2 fee if your 10-cent credit balance was the only activity on monthly bill?

http://www.sterlingtimes.co.uk/bill_goats_gruff.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.