Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FARE BACK (BUT HIGHER) - AC cheap business class sale to South Africa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FARE BACK (BUT HIGHER) - AC cheap business class sale to South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
If you select the options that include BA' do you gat AE mikes for the BA portions? Or do you have to stick with Star partners?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
Calgary was not one of the cities. EX: YEG
Calgary is available. You have to do a search on ITA Matrix and call in to book your booking.

When you do it on AC's website it keeps bumping down to economy class on one of the SAA legs.

Here is a sample.

Last edited by cooleddie; Jun 22, 2014 at 10:21 am
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by cooleddie
Calgary is available. You have to do a search on ITA Matrix and call in to book your booking.

When you do it on AC's website it keeps bumping down to economy class on one of the SAA legs.

Here is a sample.

My mistake. By the way, LH is not playing Ball.

I just did a booking. Cannot price it on AC Website FRA-JNB-FRA on LH . Only SAA.

I wanted LH as I can use my UA SWU to upgrade to First
Has anyone succeeded.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:23 am
Original Poster

I just did a booking. Cannot price it on AC Website FRA-JNB-FRA on LH . Only SAA.

Has anyone succeeded.
Again you will need to call in for the fare. AC's website is very restrictive and doesnt show up. Give them a call, ask them to do a manual booking, and quote the flight numbers and fare classes directly, it's worth it.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:28 am

Has anyone succeeded.
Just go to himpunk; input dates; select flights and click book with lufthansa; it takes you to the LH website

our Flights
Flight Schedule
Flight on Monday, 06.10.2014 from Calgary to Johannesburg
18:25 Calgary (YYC)
Lufthansa
Duration: 09h 05min Other Airline
LH6793
11:30+1 day Frankfurt/Main International Airport (FRA)
Business (P)
Layover: 09h 15min

20:45+1 day Frankfurt/Main International Airport (FRA)
Lufthansa
Duration: 10h 40min Other Airline
LH9544
07:25 Johannesburg- O.R. Tambo International Airport (JNB)
Business (P)
Flight on Wednesday, 22.10.2014 from Johannesburg to Calgary
19:15 Johannesburg- O.R. Tambo International Airport (JNB)
Lufthansa
Duration: 10h 35min Lufthansa
LH573
05:50+1 day Frankfurt/Main International Airport (FRA)
Business (P)
Layover: 07h 40min

13:30+1 day Frankfurt/Main International Airport (FRA)
Lufthansa
Duration: 09h 35min Other Airline
LH6792
15:05+1 day Calgary (YYC)
Business (P)
Total Price 2,655.76 $
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by cooleddie
Again you will need to call in for the fare. AC's website is very restrictive and doesnt show up. Give them a call, ask them to do a manual booking, and quote the flight numbers and fare classes directly, it's worth it.
I did. Spoke to the SE Desk in St John one of the best. Checked with help desk. They are the ones who told me LH is not playing ball.

I even tried HIPMUNK. LH is no go there as well.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stinger
If you select the options that include BA' do you gat AE mikes for the BA portions? Or do you have to stick with Star partners?
You can only earn AC aeroplan miles on Star Alliance flights. But if you have oneworld too I think you can earn oneworld for the BA portion.

The BA fare only seems to work when flying to Cape Town direct.
That is because SAA has discontinued all direct flights from London to Cape Town.

When you call AC to book this flight, they will apply the AC aeroplan number to the entire reservation. Ask for BA's booking reference/confirmation no/PNR while you are on the phone.

Then, I believe you will need to make call BA reservations and ask them to update their portion of the flight to the BA Oneworld frequent flyer number.

If it doesn't work, you got 24 hours to cancel direct with AC.

Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by stinger
You will need to stay with Star partners to receive AE miles
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:35 am

I did. Spoke to the SE Desk in St John one of the best. Checked with help desk. They are the ones who told me LH is not playing ball.

I even tried HIPMUNK. LH is no go there as well.
???

Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by hearna
Just go to himpunk; input dates; select flights and click book with lufthansa; it takes you to the LH website

Total Price 2,655.76 $
The day I am doing JNB-FRA P probably is not available. ITA MATRIX is giving Z. SE Desk says they cannot book Z.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cperciva
This is showing as P booking class, which Air Canada's website claims only gets 50% miles on SAA codeshares... I'm guessing that's just because they haven't updated to reflect P moving into business class, but does anyone know for sure?
I emailed Aeroplan Superelite's email address and this is what they said:

Thank you for your email.

As you are aware, Air Canada and other airlines, such as South African Airways, operate code-share flights, which allow both airlines to offer service to more destinations throughout the world. Under such an agreement, several routes are served jointly by Air Canada and its code-share partners' aircraft. When travelling on a Star Alliance codeshare flight operated by another Star Alliance carrier, the flights are credited under the operating airline’s designation and accrual terms. Consequently, a booking class conversion is sometimes required and P class fares on Air Canada correspond to South African Airways D class fares which earn 125% of the base miles. For details on Aeroplan’s accumulation structure, please refer to the “Mileage accumulation on code-share flights” paragraph under the Terms and Conditions tab at the following page in our website:

http://www.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/o...tner=AirCanada

For details on mileage accrual with South African Airways, please consult the following page in our website:

http://www.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/o...AfricanAirways

We trust this information will serve as clarification and look forward to serving you again.

Regards,

Marc Brunet
Aeroplan - Customer Service Representative
www.aeroplan.com
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:45 am

The day I am doing JNB-FRA P probably is not available. ITA MATRIX is giving Z. SE Desk says they cannot book Z.
LoL, then LH not playing ball has nothing to do with anything then; if the fare class is not available then of course it is not going to be bookable...
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by cperciva
This is showing as P booking class, which Air Canada's website claims only gets 50% miles on SAA codeshares... I'm guessing that's just because they haven't updated to reflect P moving into business class, but does anyone know for sure?
Instead of booking using the codeshare flight, to potentially eliminate any chance of error in mapping of booking codes, book using the actual SAA or LH flight numbers in P.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Could you please stop posting these fares.... My calendar is full already :-).
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:05 am
Original Poster

AC can book Z - there is no doubt about that. It's probably because Z was sold out or the person you got wasnt good enough.

I have had an issue before where AC couldn't book LH Z because LH Z was sold out despite ITA Matrix displaying Z as available. When I checked expertflyer, Z inventory was NOT available. So ITA Matrix is not 100% reliable.

Check expertflyer to see if Z inventory is available on LH.

Also, please check that your Z class is not on the old A380 seats in case your upgrade to first class doesnt go thru. There are now two types of A380s... the new A380 with retrofitted J seats lie-flat, and the old J seats at incline.

And here is proof that AC can book LH Z on an issued ticket. This reservation was made through AC Reservations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.