Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FREE Early Standby for the Edmonton-Calgary-Vancouver Triangle!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2014, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D

So I was chatting with YYC Concierge and asking about getting on an earlier flight and dreading the talk about the $75 change fee. They told me that they are now doing FREE (that's right!) early standby on any flight in the "triangle" of Edmonton-Calgary-Vancouver. This sounds like a similar policy to the Rapidair service between Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto.

Not sure what the exact terms and conditions are -- if you have to have a certain fare or elite status? I was flying on Flex and I'm SE.

Anyways, this is great news as I fly weekly between YVR - YYC.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Fantastic news. Hugely appreciated. (Bens, thank you if you had something to do with this based on feedback here.)
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
That's awesome news! Didn't someone ask the Bens about this, recently? It's an extremely welcome change.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
That is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME. I wish I knew earlier - I was in all 3 of these airports this week and would have used it .
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Finally!
One can hope for YVR-YYJ to be eventually added to that list too.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:55 pm
Flying Blue Director

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8130: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; SM-G900W8 Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/35.0.1916.141 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by ridefar
Fantastic news. Hugely appreciated. (Bens, thank you if you had something to do with this based on feedback here.)
Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by zoobtoob
Finally!
One can hope for YVR-YYJ to be eventually added to that list too.
Why you would fly as opposed to take a ferry (since that is cheaper) is another question
(unless, of course, you don't live in YVR.)
Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Why you would fly as opposed to take a ferry (since that is cheaper) is another question
Please! People from Victoria hate the ferries! It's over 4 hour transfer from downtown to downtown.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold; E35K/*Silver
Originally Posted by philelite
Please! People from Victoria hate the ferries! It's over 4 hour transfer from downtown to downtown.
I've been on the ferry once. It's nice as a tourist, but it would grate heavily if I did it daily. Obviously the price point is why everyone does it use it.

The ridiculous internet is what I remember most about it. Signs all aboard saying wifi available on board, with humorous graffiti inserted "hardly ever" just about the only smile to be had from the experience. Getting to the airport, going through security and taking an overpriced plane being preferable to the boat shows how annoying the ferry is.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
This is good new but would like confirmation that it is for all fare types. Couple weeks ago flying VRA-YYC-YEG, J on the long flight and tango on the short hop.(AC vacations package). Arrived early, bags came quickly so called the YYC concierge who confirmed space on an earlier flight but wasn't able to do anything as tango fares are not eligible regardless of status.

Concierge apologized as she understood it would have been nicer to get home 2 hours earlier. Went to lounge and ate and drank to pass the time.

Are all fares eligible or just higher fares.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by stinger
This is good new but would like confirmation that it is for all fare types. Couple weeks ago flying VRA-YYC-YEG, J on the long flight and tango on the short hop.(AC vacations package). Arrived early, bags came quickly so called the YYC concierge who confirmed space on an earlier flight but wasn't able to do anything as tango fares are not eligible regardless of status.

Concierge apologized as she understood it would have been nicer to get home 2 hours earlier. Went to lounge and ate and drank to pass the time.

Are all fares eligible or just higher fares.
I'd assume that it is for Flex and higher (similar to how it is done for Rapidair flights).

http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/oneway/index.html

I highly doubt that AC would allow free standby on Tango fares for western triangle but not for Rapidair.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I usually fly H3 on the hop to Victoria or Nanaimo but in the winter it's often difficult to make it back to the aerodrome before the sun sets. AC and YYJ/YCD are the only choices before I walk on to the ferry .
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Huge kudos to the Bens for this. Is this publicly announced yet? I can't find any reference to it!
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*

Great news. I have an office in YEG and live in YYJ so I do this trip all the time. Too bad if I get to YVR early I'll likely still have to pay to get an earlier flight to YYJ.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:58 pm

Woah; not sure I would rush in to thank the Bens…

As a regular in the W triangle, and with the % of oversells and offers on VDB, I am guessing rev management finally realized they where losing (giving more money out in vouchers then change fees) and figured they can keep charging crazy fares on the routes and simply solving the oversells with offers of early free flights…

my .02$

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.