Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC launching Toronto-Rio de Janeiro (3x weekly)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC launching Toronto-Rio de Janeiro (3x weekly)

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2014, 11:07 am

Award availability is looking good, and don't forget to book as two one-ways to save YQ on the flight departing Brazil! $500 RT if you book from Canada, but zero if you book from Brazil! Two one ways saves you $250. ^
Old May 7, 2014, 11:23 am
Suspended

Programs: S100KMM,SPG Platinum,Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
You did, eh?? You really seem to be on the inside with AC.
Any other rumors you want to let us know of now ... before they're actually announced?

AC to GIG was reported in Rio press back in Fall 2013. Was supposed to start Mar/Apr 2014. Openly discussed here on FT actually.

With TAM coming to Canada it will be interesting to see how YYZ-Brazil works out. Wonder if the 77L to GRU will become 763? Brazil-Canada non-stop will have double the seats YoY.
AC might be a couple years too late getting into Rio.
Good luck to them
Wouldn't even dream of revealing my sources!
Old May 7, 2014, 11:28 am

Funny how the OP had to point out its International 767 versus rouge; as if they would ever fly rouge to such a destination...

Rouge is low cost vacation tourist spots
South America has a booming economy; J is usually always full on all flights down there, and award flights are very hard to come by.
Old May 7, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: AP SPG HH
My guess is that the route will be rouged once AC sell enough tickets beforehand. There are other destinations that had full J class that have been rouged already.
Old May 7, 2014, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Maybe TAM will pull a rabbit out of the hat and offer service to YVR or YUL?
Maybe a YUL/YYZ split of their daily allocation?
YVR would be some rabbit ...... GRUYVR would be a loooonnngg flight

Originally Posted by hearna
Funny how the OP had to point out its International 767 versus rouge; as if they would ever fly rouge to such a destination...
Not sue what's funny about that? Rio is the energy capital but has enormous tourism
Originally Posted by hearna
Rouge is low cost vacation tourist spots
South America has a booming economy; J is usually always full on all flights down there, and award flights are very hard to come by.
Are you talking 2014? Odd that AC would commence service to a destination w/ booming economy and strong J demand (as you claim) with a paltry 3*weekly? Not exactly business friendly schedule. Might just be a cautious entrance though?
Seems to be a little push-and-pull though as they redeye both ways which appeals to business pax at an added cost to the airline.
US Airways is pulling their CLTGIG flight early 2015. Rio is not slot controlled or anything ...

Last edited by CloudsBelow; May 7, 2014 at 11:56 am
Old May 7, 2014, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by okazon69
Award availability is looking good, and don't forget to book as two one-ways to save YQ on the flight departing Brazil! $500 RT if you book from Canada, but zero if you book from Brazil! Two one ways saves you $250. ^
Nice tip

Although, does that mean GIG-YYZ-GIG round-trip will be YQ-free?
Old May 7, 2014, 1:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Nice tip

Added corollary: does that mean if I launch a mini-RTW in GIG, I don't have to pay any YQ?
Old May 7, 2014, 1:09 pm

Nice tip

Yes. Zero YQ.

See here.

Last edited by okazon69; May 7, 2014 at 1:10 pm Reason: Added link
Old May 7, 2014, 1:24 pm

Maybe a YUL/YYZ split of their daily allocation?
YVR would be some rabbit ...... GRUYVR would be a loooonnngg flight

Not sue what's funny about that? Rio is the energy capital but has enormous tourism

Are you talking 2014? Odd that AC would commence service to a destination w/ booming economy and strong J demand (as you claim) with a paltry 3*weekly? Not exactly business friendly schedule. Might just be a cautious entrance though?
Seems to be a little push-and-pull though as they redeye both ways which appeals to business pax at an added cost to the airline.
US Airways is pulling their CLTGIG flight early 2015. Rio is not slot controlled or anything ...
After what happened in Venezuela I would bet it would be a cautious entrance, I don't think they will have any issues filling planes. Besides they need to get the route up and going for the next Olympics!

This should fix my issue of N.A-Europe-Africa-S.A-N.A.; before I could land in GIG, but the only AC flight was out of GRU, and TAM made things impossible to get to GRU; now with a direct from GIG; SCORE!
Old May 7, 2014, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by pewpew
Added corollary: does that mean if I launch a mini-RTW in GIG, I don't have to pay any YQ?
Will that work? that'll be awesome

Now we just need to find a YYZ-Brazil positioning flight + $250 YQ, to save on all AC/LH/TG/NH YQ?

No fuel surcharges for flights originating in Brazil! - One Mile at a Time
http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...ing-in-brazil/
Old May 7, 2014, 2:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Will that work? that'll be awesome

Now we just need to find a YYZ-Brazil positioning flight + $250 YQ, to save on all AC/LH/TG/NH YQ?

No fuel surcharges for flights originating in Brazil! - One Mile at a Time
http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...ing-in-brazil/
Sounds to me like it'll work, but it's too bad I'm all cleared out of AP miles
Old May 7, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
It's not cost effective to be shuttling crews between points where more than likely local carriage rights would not exist and multiple layovers would occur. Customers want point to point service where feasible - great news.
This makes sense. UA lays over the IAD crew in GRU after they fly IAD-GRU-GIG-GRU. Makes for a long boring day for the crew in GIG. The flight works for UA because the ORD and EWR flights feed the IAD flight in GRU.
Old May 7, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold. Emirates Silver BAEC Silver Air Canada 35k
Have funn SEMN

Originally Posted by SEMM
Yippee! I had heard the rumour about a month ago. Glad to hear it's true.
CARIOCA TIME! Caipirinhas here we come.^
GOOD LUCK.
Old May 7, 2014, 9:13 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
They left 31 March I thought? To the welcoming arms of OW.
No doubt about that - I did TAM on GRU-POA outbound on March 22nd... and return on April 4th. Whoops!

I knew about it, but completely missed the significance of my return date. I was a little fluxed with all the OW branding, but quickly swapped my AC status for my Marco Polo. All the announcements kept mentioning *A though, with a few realizing their mistake and hastily switching to OW - it was pretty funny.

You can continue to earn Aeroplan miles on TAM flights though, no end in sight for that. They're just not AQMs, nor does your *A status count.
Old May 7, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: WJ, AC-AE, Delta, UA, Starwood, IHG, AVIS
Maybe TAM will pull a rabbit out of the hat and offer service to YVR or YUL?

French Canadian traffic to South America is significant to Brazil and Peru.
Yes, let's also remember Brazilian nationals visiting Canada, or even going twov to Asia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.