TSA PreCheck on AC?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
I am not a fan of TSA.
The issue maybe your DL is not issued by American government
For Non-USA issued government documents TSA I assume is required to only accept passports.
oh what do they say about assuming...... now you can designate yourself as an expert in all travel related

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/acceptable-ids

Acceptable IDs include:

U.S. passport
U.S. passport card
DHS "Trusted Traveler" cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)

U.S. Military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DOD civilians)
Permanent Resident Card
Border Crossing Card
DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
Driver's Licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
Native American Tribal Photo ID
HSPD-12 PIV Card
An airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
A foreign government-issued passport
Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) card

Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)

I would actually love to rock up to a TSA agent with a Canadian INAC card
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Love NEXUS and GE works great for me ^

Once in a while a newby TSA agent (Toilet Safety Association) gets confused and asks what my Nexus card is and I always say, it was covered in your training, get your supervisor if you need further coaching!

When I flew last year on UA from LAX T6 to SEA I used my Nexus number when I OLCI and went through the precheck at T6. It was fast and simple. Never out of T2 or on any AC flights

When TSA bring their rolling cart to the gates for those spot checks, I always go through the further lane and always avoid eye contact.

I do not like the TSA. I don' t think they like me either!
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I do not want the TSA rentasmurfs to touch my passport.
Forgive me, but why???

I've had to present my passport in tons of places from hotels around the world to nightclubs in the US where they refused to accept my QC DL. Why make such a fuss? It's a form of ID after all...
Old Jan 26, 2014, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by ffsim
Forgive me, but why???

I've had to present my passport in tons of places from hotels around the world to nightclubs in the US where they refused to accept my QC DL. Why make such a fuss? It's a form of ID after all...
because once I had a TSA smurf flip thru my passport and make stupid comments about the many arabic looking stamps in it and ask stupid questions, to which I dont have to reply. I asked him, are you US Customs, just verify the name, and he growled and sent me on my way.

Remember these people are not US law enforcement, and cannot request your passport if you have any of the valid IDs referenced.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
In DEC flew from HNL-YVR on AC was able to access TSA preclearance lane.

I have also accessed TSA Preclearance lanes @ other US airports flying on AC.

Actually, I've seen this about 3 weeks ago in BUF.
As you say, created more of a mess than it was worth. The sheeple all start taking shoes off, back on, etc, slowing down the line even further, making PreCheck pointless.
Originally Posted by bizorbetter
Most recently the TSA is pulling people randomly into the pre check lines, that is likely confusing everyone. In fact i have seen pre check pax not get the three beeps and sent to regular screening whilst random people who are not even enrolled in pre get sent to the pre line. They invariably start removing shoes lap tops etc........quite a mess

so its possible for an AC pax on an AC flight to get pre check screening, but only by randomly being directed there.
I have a co-worker with no status and no Nexus who had the exact same "PreCheck-like" experience described above and he was definitely not in the PreCheck lane. He was flying out of LAS a couple of weeks ago and apparently ran into a TSA trial where every passenger was being handled this way. Not sure if it has to do with some future changes in the way pax are screened, but obviously he was happy to keep his laptop on his bag, his shoes on and avoid the nudo-scanner.
Every example quoted here was from the TSA project that occurred after US Thanksgiving. The TSA project involved testing the max throughput of TSA Precheck and involved sending large quantities of regular pax through the TSA precheck lines. This project was talked about extensively on the travel security and safety forums.

This project was scheduled to end in January

Now the accountant in me thinks the project is in some way connected to the US gov't shut down and budget wars going on in Congress. That is someone is pushing for max efficiency at Preboard screening so the TSA folks are letting max people through and seeing what happens to the required staffing levels.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I must be an anomaly. I usually thoroughly enjoy the TSA. Since I usually am not randomed for pre-check given my AC boarding pass, I am doomed to the regular line, and when my stuff's in the conveyor belt and they beckon me into the naked scanner, I gesture that I want a pat down, and so they make me stand on a spot while they find a lady, then we walk to pick up all of my bins, then we go stand in a spot and she asks if I know what is going to happen, etc. and before they touch they ask if anything is hurting (and my response may be "I ran a half marathon yesterday, so, guess", but when I'd just had surgery they were very compassionate). They always offer a private screening location, which I always waive. Maybe my life needs more trips on AC610, but it's kind of soothing, and they seem to be pleasant conversationalists if you're friendly to them. Maybe it is like the dragons, where people are so hostile usually that they inordinately appreciate people who treat them as human beings. One of them saw me heading for the "wrong" train after concluding my screening, and chased after to let me know. I reassured her I was just after the free wine in the UC and knew how to get back to my gate after. The program they're delivering and them as people are two different things.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I am confused about this thread. Per the TSA web site, only airlines which allow for TSA precheck are about 9 (soon to become 8 - with the merger of AA and US) US-based ones which one flies.

I do not believe that means that UA codeshared on AC would qualify; I suspect that AC codeshared on UA would qualify (or is it the other way around).
Old Jan 26, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
because once I had a TSA smurf flip thru my passport and make stupid comments about the many arabic looking stamps in it and ask stupid questions, to which I dont have to reply. I asked him, are you US Customs, just verify the name, and he growled and sent me on my way.

Remember these people are not US law enforcement, and cannot request your passport if you have any of the valid IDs referenced.
Fair enough. TBH I've never had a TSA "smurf" flip to anything other than the ID page of my passport.

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I am confused about this thread. Per the TSA web site, only airlines which allow for TSA precheck are about 9 (soon to become 8 - with the merger of AA and US) US-based ones which one flies.

I do not believe that means that UA codeshared on AC would qualify; I suspect that AC codeshared on UA would qualify (or is it the other way around).
See post 50
Old Jan 26, 2014, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I am not a fan of TSA.
The issue maybe your DL is not issued by American government.
For Non-USA issued government documents TSA I assume is required to only accept passports.
According to rankourabu get a supervisor & make the TSA agent look like an idiot.

I have a trip to USA next week. I will present my Ontario DL. If Agent refuses. Ask for supervisor per rankourabu.
I will report back if Supervisor will override the non acceptance.

I would be interested to know if CATSA accepts American DL .Anyone?
I had TSA reject my NEXUS card, which says it's issued by the US, and accept my Ontario DL

Fair enough. TBH I've never had a TSA "smurf" flip to anything other than the ID page of my passport.
In BQN (Puerto Rico), TSA went through my whole passport. They intensely scrutinized the I-94. I wanted to say "You're not an immigration officer", but I wanted to catch my flight more
Old Jan 26, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I will be travelling in February - first on US back to Canada (let us see if with my nexus I do get a PreCheck status on my boarding pass in San Diego) - and then on AC from MCO. Based upon what you are saying, I may get the precheck the first time, but probably not the second time?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: AC100K, Delta Plat, Nat EX EL, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, NEXUS
Most of these experiences for me, are out of MSY. I swear, as much as I love the city, the staff at the airport here are probably the worst I've seen.

And I am aware that the DL is acceptable per TSA regulations, it's just that half the people that work for TSA here, aren't. To me it's easier to spend a minute or two rummaging in my bag to grab my passport than it is to explain the situation to someone who has a clue.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 7:33 pm

I will be travelling in February - first on US back to Canada (let us see if with my nexus I do get a PreCheck status on my boarding pass in San Diego) - and then on AC from MCO. Based upon what you are saying, I may get the precheck the first time, but probably not the second time?
I recently flew on US back to Canada. If you've entered your Nexus ID in your booking, yes, you'll get PreCheck access. It's the only time I've managed to use it and it's very convenient.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:44 pm

Be sure that you have entered all the pertinent info into the US account including your full name as it appears on your nexus as well as your KTN otherwise you will not get the infamous three beeps.

For the AC flight from MCO i'd say the chances are zero unless you get randomly pulled into that line after the TSA checkpoint
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I recently flew on US back to Canada. If you've entered your Nexus ID in your booking, yes, you'll get PreCheck access. It's the only time I've managed to use it and it's very convenient.
But departing MCO on AC, no Precheck.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Elite for AC, SPG, PP, FPC
Exclamation The answer

Originally Posted by CCFP
Will be flying on Air Canada out of OGG shortly. A couple questions:
- is there a shorter TSA security line for business class / Air Canada elite/SE flyers?
- as NEXUS members who have entered our NEXUS info on our itinerary, will we be able to use TSA PreCheck?

The info I have found by searching Flyertalk is conflicting. Some say international travel is ineligible; some say AC is not participating. The Hawaii thread does not answer if AC flyers are eligible.

The official TSA announcement is vague - it says NEXUS members are eligible, but at the same time, it does not list AC in the list of eligible airlines.

Thanks!
Thanks for all the speculation. Flew today and here's the answer.

There is a priority check in at the AC desk for business class / E /SE. AC contracts check-in to OGG airport staff who insist on using the "self check-in counter" screens for you. Most have never seen a NEXUS card (which I admittedly assume, based on their questions "What's a NEXUS card?") and insist on a passport until I used my elite card to check in. They then press "passport" by habit when the option to proceed with NEXUS or Passport is offered.

There was NO priority / business class TSA security line.

There IS a TSA pre-check line, but even if you have nexus and have entered your NEXUS info into your APIS before flying, you are not allowed to use it when flying with AC because AC is not one of the participating airlines listed in the press release I linked above.

Oh and since we're on a roll, there's no *A or priority pass lounge either.

Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.