Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to MUC Schedule S2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2013, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Indeed, "awful" may have been a little harsh, but when a 40min train ride on a S-Bahn to downtown is the best the train station has to offer, itīs not exactly impressive IMO.

Compare that to FRA which has two major train stations attached (one regional and one long distance) with hundreds of long distance trains each day. Ex-FRA you could get to Mannheim, Mainz and Siegburg (nearly Cologne) in 40min.

Even DUS has done a better job with having (long distance) trains stop there, though the set-up there with the skytrain/bus isnīt ideal either.
Although a great airport, this is really a big negative for connecting by train. FRA's Fernbahnhof connections are fantastic and that is what is missing from the overall MUC package IMO.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 9:40 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold
There is a big thread on one of the travel blogs about the YYZ to MUC flight:

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...-united-miles/

All the United folks are going crazy as this is a way they can book LH F before their huge devaluation comes into play. It appears that UA MP members are able to see and book the flights, but none of the other Star Alliance partners can book 'em.

I called AE and even escalated to a supervisor but it didn't help. He just said he would report the issue to IT.

Too bad. Was going to book F for Oktoberfest. MUC is one of my favourite cities, the airport is fantastic (except for the transportation to/from), and new First is just awesome.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Benner
It appears that UA MP members are able to see and book the flights, but none of the other Star Alliance partners can book 'em.
Lifemiles and ANA can book it too... Its just Aeroplan with the issue.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exbayern
That's Austrian Kaiserschmarrn. Bayrisch 'Schmarrn' equates to German 'Quatsch' and equates to 'Balderdash' in English.

Germans do have a sense of humour, but it's often wordplay and often overlooked...

But Kaiserschmarrn if one is so inclined can actually be found in the central area at MUC when they start the Weihnachtsmarkt, another benefit of transiting at MUC.
I am not into crepes, i am afraid. Probably still could flip some properly. Then there is the rleigious issue, with or without baking powder. But at the end of the day, my stomoach doesn't really go along with either.

Now, Wikipedia clainms: "Balderdash is a board game of bluffing and trivia created by Laura Robinson and Paul Toyne."

Care for a drink in Paris one of these days, no pancakes?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
delete

Last edited by margarita girl; Nov 8, 2013 at 7:48 am Reason: misunderstood
Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, O6*G, WS Gold
MUC-YYZ? They should fly MUC-YEG
Old Nov 8, 2013, 2:12 am

this is kind of a side question, but if I'm flying FRA-MUC-YYZ (both segments on LH, where the latter is the new LH service out of MUC to YYZ), is a 1:45 connection time enough in MUC to clear customs (if needed) and go through security (if needed)?
Old Nov 8, 2013, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by agjil
this is kind of a side question, but if I'm flying FRA-MUC-YYZ (both segments on LH, where the latter is the new LH service out of MUC to YYZ), is a 1:45 connection time enough in MUC to clear customs (if needed) and go through security (if needed)?
Yes, a 1:45h connection is plenty of time. No customs - only a quick passport check.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Lifemiles and ANA can book it too... Its just Aeroplan with the issue.
All kinds of LH/F availability - one way, return & multi-itinerary - all bookable on AP next September. Done.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 5:39 am

Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
Indeed, "awful" may have been a little harsh, but when a 40min train ride on a S-Bahn to downtown is the best the train station has to offer, itīs not exactly impressive IMO.

Compare that to FRA which has two major train stations attached (one regional and one long distance) with hundreds of long distance trains each day. Ex-FRA you could get to Mannheim, Mainz and Siegburg (nearly Cologne) in 40min.

Even DUS has done a better job with having (long distance) trains stop there, though the set-up there with the skytrain/bus isnīt ideal either.
Fair enough. I've always used the city as a starting or ending point to my travels, so getting to the city centre via the S-Bahn was perfect. However, if you are hoping to travel elsewhere after landing at the airport, then I understand your aversion.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
All kinds of LH/F availability - one way, return & multi-itinerary - all bookable on AP next September. Done.
^

I'm seeing F wide open on the return MUC-YYZ portion too, but none eastbound. I can't see the schedule on ANA either, am I missing something?
Old Nov 8, 2013, 5:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Tried to book these with US Air. No dice there either. Tried two different agents -- neither willing to try a manual request.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by tng11
^

I'm seeing F wide open on the return MUC-YYZ portion too, but none eastbound. I can't see the schedule on ANA either, am I missing something?
Sep 8,9,10,11....all available
Old Nov 8, 2013, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by laidback71
Fair enough. I've always used the city as a starting or ending point to my travels, so getting to the city centre via the S-Bahn was perfect. However, if you are hoping to travel elsewhere after landing at the airport, then I understand your aversion.
Getting to MUC downtown isnīt bad, though far from perfect IMO.

The S-Bahn takes 40min and is reasonably expensives (8-10 Euros IIRC) - not terribly expensive by intīl standards, but still quite overpriced compared to typical short-distance S-Bahn fares.

And taking a taxi from MUC to downtown would cost >50Euros each way.

IMO itīs a shame that such a nice airport which happens to be Germanyīs second-largest hub has such unimpressive infrastructure.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Getting to MUC downtown isnīt bad, though far from perfect IMO.

The S-Bahn takes 40min and is reasonably expensives (8-10 Euros IIRC) - not terribly expensive by intīl standards, but still quite overpriced compared to typical short-distance S-Bahn fares.

And taking a taxi from MUC to downtown would cost >50Euros each way.

IMO itīs a shame that such a nice airport which happens to be Germanyīs second-largest hub has such unimpressive infrastructure.
Best recent train experience was VIE - "CAT" City Airport Train. Modern, comfortable, 12EUR and 15 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.