Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AMEX Plat possibly offering AC G status in 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat, AA ExP, NH Gold, AMEX PLAT

Interesting talk with a friend at AMEX and for the past few years AMEX Plat has offered CX status which is great for OW lounge, extra baggage etc.
Since AC has devalued their program so much, 50k or *A Gold may be thrown in at no charge as it has no real value anymore from what she said aside form what CX offers like lounge and baggage though most with Plat AMEX still can use Aeroplan Plat card for AC only flights in the lounge. Hope this comes true as it would be great for other star alliance flights for lounge etc.
Let's see if it happens soon.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:21 pm

Ha, that'll be very interesting, and AMEX kept adding benefits to it eh.. Hilton Gold, and possible *A Gold
Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Yes, the Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, CX status, SPG Gold are all wonderful.

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Ha, that'll be very interesting, and AMEX kept adding benefits to it eh.. Hilton Gold, and possible *A Gold

Last edited by altitude75k; Nov 4, 2013 at 7:37 pm Reason: added SPG Gold
Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:32 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
HAHAHA! Would be priceless. Bye-bye status chasing.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

I think what she was saying was that 50k had no real meaning like it used to regarding status. More of a Star Gold baggage and lounge plus.
With AC if you are not SE status, not worth it in 2014 is from what I am hearing.

Originally Posted by jlisi984
HAHAHA! Would be priceless. Bye-bye status chasing.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
That will definitely make Amex Plat more attractive.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:28 pm

This would seem opposite of AC's progress of late.
Cannot imagine this happening in the least.
Maybe E50 for Cents ...... No chance for the simple Plat IMO
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:19 pm
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AC P25, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond AMB
I'd pay the $699 annual fee for E50, even E35 maybe. 1 flight upgrade and I'd be there. I couldn't see them offering it to Canadians though.

Offering it to US based AMEX plats on the otherhand.... AC actually wants their business.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
While the CX gold is a great benefit for plat card holders, notice that it's not available for HK residents. IF (big if), AC status was offered to Amex platinums, I don't see it being made available for cardholders in the airline's home country.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:13 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I really really doubt they would do this... 50K isn't that devalued yet.. more standing around at the YYC lounge if it happens though +_+
Old Nov 5, 2013, 5:48 am
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Interesting...

Just for the forum's info, I'm an AMEX Platinum Charge card holder based here in Singapore.

Our frequent travel benefits include: CX Marco Polo Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Club Accor Platinum and Hertz Gold (and of course the Priority Pass). But, the annual fee here is substantially higher: SGD1,200 (C$1000) and I was told they were going to raise it even further to SGD1,700 (C$1,400) for 2014.

Last edited by jbb; Nov 5, 2013 at 6:01 am
Old Nov 5, 2013, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
When did Hilton gold become a Plat benefit in Canada? news to me.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:25 am

Purchase decision is different if one does not hold any status with the airline. Even an A35K *S status will likely influence one to buy AC over other other airlines. It will be a good move for AC. I have always wonder why CIBC did not try to boost the benefits of its Aerogold Infinite when it rolled the card out. There is really no difference between the regular Aerogold and Aerogold Infinite. It will also be interesting to see what TDCT will be capable of doing when it can issue Aeroplan credit card in early 2014.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:42 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Title is misleading, it is just an idea, not even a speculation.
There is no way it will happen.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 7:29 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
There is no way it will happen.
Don't see why not, if AC can get some revenue from Amex by offering it as a benefit I think they might. I agree with the above comments that they would likely only offer to foreign cardholders (like Cathay does.)

Now that E50 eUp credits can't be shared to nominees, E50 status is a fairly individual benefit so there's not much opportunity for abuse. It might also be part of the reason they're moving to a co-pay for international upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.