Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How far would you MR to make SE?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: NEXUS, Amex Plat. JPMorgan Palladium
YYZ MR short 1100

I'm short 1100...all my travel is planned and booked already. Any suggestions for a cheap MR from YYZ?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 5:33 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver

How far would you fly to make SE?

first time early qual SE was in sight I did a YYZ-HKG turn (one night in hotel in HKG on points); picked dates based on cheap fare + R space to confirm upgrade before booking. turns out I didn't need it as I slid to the finish line that year with 140K.
would I do it again? probably; but would turn it into a mini holiday as turns are too hard on the body!
Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: AC, SPG, HH +others
Originally Posted by jdavis2ca
I'm short 1100...all my travel is planned and booked already. Any suggestions for a cheap MR from YYZ?
$350 will get you a tango fare to Miami and approximately 1233 miles.

Depart YYZ Wed Nov 13 @ 16:35 arrive back in YYZ @ 23:54. You may be able to do better from Buffalo.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To answer OP, YSB/YYZ/HKG/BKK/NRT/YYZ/YSB
Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: AC SE; SPG Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by Dorian
The only MR of my life was one year when biz travel tanked. I did:

YVR HNL SYD HNL YVR

+

YYZ YVR HNL SYD HNL YVR YYZ
Similarly - I have only done one "metal run" after realizing I had only 3 BA flights despite buckets of tier points. (had been rerouted to another airline due to weather on one of my returns).

To me the more important question (as others have pointed out) is what your plans are for next years flying. The year following my "metal run" I knew I had almost a dozen oneworld flights booked, and didn't want to lose my privileges for 3 months while requalifying.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Priority Rewards Platinum AC SE100K, UA 1K
Going to BAH from YQM ...
basically a weekend of flying for about 25000 BIS miles ... but it will get me my 2014 SE status
Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:07 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
Originally Posted by naparima
Going to BAH from YQM ...
basically a weekend of flying for about 25000 BIS miles ... but it will get me my 2014 SE status
Did I miss a sale?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Thanks everyone for the suggestions on the MRs. For the past couple of weeks, I was very close to pulling the trigger, even held a couple of tickets using the paypal trick, but it turns out that I will be going on two overseas business trips that will combine to take me over the top.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Thanks everyone for the suggestions on the MRs. For the past couple of weeks, I was very close to pulling the trigger, even held a couple of tickets using the paypal trick, but it turns out that I will be going on two overseas business trips that will combine to take me over the top.
What is this paypal trick you speak of?
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CdnFlier
What is this paypal trick you speak of?
Take a look at this. I gather it works using the cash option as well. I found that after letting a ticket I was holding with paypal expire, the option was no longer there, even now. Apparently it will come back. I gather if you cancel the booking, that won't happen, but I didn't try it myself to find out.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond. Priority Club Platinum. Emerald Club Executive Elite
I usually qualify with segments Sometimes I well exceed 100k AND 95 segments.

As for how far? I'd just find the cheapest flights with as many segments as possible. This year, I'll make it past 95 without the need for a run.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by YQMer
I leave next week: YQM-YHZ-YUL-YOW-YYZ-YVR-LAS-YVR-YYC-YYZ-YUL-YQM...

Then, I'm done.

So, 16 segments in total and cost under $900 all in ~$55/seg

I tried these combinations and was unable to find them? I think it would be fun to do!

To qualify For 2015 In February 2014 I am doing two back to back weekend mileage runs:

SEA-ORD-FRA-IST-FRA-IAD-SEA each for $678 Cdn all in on UA

This will give me a nice base to start at 4.9 cents and this is done on a weekend! I sleep on the plane and spend under 4 hours in IST.

I still have a $150 credit on UA so in January I may do YYC-HNL-YYC for $500 minus the $150 for a short run as the credit expires in February!

So do I want that SE for 2015, yes and until that dream travel job knocks on my door, I will find the best bang for my dollar!
Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
I tried these combinations and was unable to find them? I think it would be fun to do!

To qualify For 2015 In February 2014 I am doing two back to back weekend mileage runs:

SEA-ORD-FRA-IST-FRA-IAD-SEA each for $678 Cdn all in on UA

This will give me a nice base to start at 4.9 cents and this is done on a weekend! I sleep on the plane and spend under 4 hours in IST.

I still have a $150 credit on UA so in January I may do YYC-HNL-YYC for $500 minus the $150 for a short run as the credit expires in February!

So do I want that SE for 2015, yes and until that dream travel job knocks on my door, I will find the best bang for my dollar!
Do you have these flights booked? If so, please provide further details on the fare classes. I just looked on ita matrix and they don't appear to be available for the price you quoted. The prices are much higher. Plus, there are LH and TK codeshares. The LH segments are showing up as T which do not generate any AQMs.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 2:55 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Take a look at this. I gather it works using the cash option as well. I found that after letting a ticket I was holding with paypal expire, the option was no longer there, even now. Apparently it will come back. I gather if you cancel the booking, that won't happen, but I didn't try it myself to find out.
Interesting! Thanks
Old Nov 16, 2013, 5:33 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Do you have these flights booked? If so, please provide further details on the fare classes. I just looked on ita matrix and they don't appear to be available for the price you quoted. The prices are much higher. Plus, there are LH and TK codeshares. The LH segments are showing up as T which do not generate any AQMs.
I found those flights on UA on various dates in February & March. Those fares were from SEA/SFO/SAN all K fares which is 100% credit to AP and code share on TK which is 100% on AP (Business class)

I thought it was a sweet deal so I booked it twice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.