Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

50k vs 75k - is it worth a mileage run?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2013, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite

I'll be about 2000 miles short of Altitude 75k this year - have been 50k for a few years, and I'm wondering if it is 'worth' trying to push it to achieve 75k?

I've never been able to use my upgrades (always fully booked), and I don't see much difference otherwise.

Any thoughts?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Well it will help you with upgrades, but there will still be a co-pay for international flights.

75% bonus instead of 50%, more eUps, free exit row, etc.

Just take a look at the list (https://altitude.aircanada.com/statu...ram-privileges) and see if it's worth it to you.

2000 miles isn't much. Just add a couple connections to existing flights if you can.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Question for you: what is your expected travel plans for 2014?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 5:23 pm

I was all set to do another long trip to maintain A75K, but with the recent enhancements I decided against it. I'm at A50K already and see no reason to spend any more with AC this year.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 5:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Personally, I see no major difference between E50K and E75K. The advantage applies to SE100K, esp with IKK (with Aeroplan awards), and the use of the concierge service. One also will get an increased (for flex) upgrade window, and also the best chance of upgrade, on the upgrade waiting list.

Next year, only SEs will have nominees for upgrade (ie only 2, compared to 4 for this year).

This year, Fairmont is allowed SEs to gain Platinum status for this year, and for next year (ending Feb 2015), if one stays 3 nights at a Fairmont Hotel.

I agree about the co-pay issue, as described above - for nonSEs - SEs will not have to pay any copayment, even with an upgrade request with flex fares.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: AC SE
I'd say it's not worth it to do a mileage run. E50 and E75 are so watered down for next year, it doesn't really make much difference. If you can take a longer routing on a planned trip to get the extra miles it may be worth considering, but I wouldn't do a separate mileage run for it.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 6:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII

This year, Fairmont is allowed SEs to gain Platinum status for this year, and for next year (ending Feb 2015), if one stays 3 nights at a Fairmont Hotel.
Does this apply if you already obtained premier status on fairmont? i.e. early recognition? I obtained premier status by making 3 stays, (but was 50k) now with early recognition (to 100k) do these three stays count towards platinum?

Lorna
Old Oct 16, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
Originally Posted by lesliep
I'll be about 2000 miles short of Altitude 75k this year - have been 50k for a few years, and I'm wondering if it is 'worth' trying to push it to achieve 75k?

I've never been able to use my upgrades (always fully booked), and I don't see much difference otherwise.

Any thoughts?
Agree with other FTers. You have to determine your 2014 flying patterns. If you're doing mostly domestic and transborder travels then no real point to get to E75K other than an earlier upgrade window by 1 day.

If you do a lot of international travels via AC then maybe worth getting 1 extra day to eUp vs the rest of the E50Ks since it appears int'l flights are a lot harder to eUp now for E50K, but seems E75K have benefited from the extra eUp day window.

I'm going to finish at 92K this year which is why I just booked 2 MRs to get over 100K to be SE for the first time ever so to avoid the Add-on for eUp on Flex fare. I do a quite a few int'l trips on AC since my family is based at YYZ and I book AE points to travel with them, so eUps are important to me on AC. Domestically I travel on UA in US and AC transborder but the fares don't really affect me and eUps are irrelevant.

GT
Old Oct 16, 2013, 8:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Lornag
Does this apply if you already obtained premier status on fairmont? i.e. early recognition? I obtained premier status by making 3 stays, (but was 50k) now with early recognition (to 100k) do these three stays count towards platinum?

Lorna
I believe the promo (which has to be specifically entered - see the special offers section of your SE Aeroplan account on the Altitude web site) is applicable to any Fairmont members, who do not already have Platinum status.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 8:52 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SurveyHand
I was all set to do another long trip to maintain A75K, but with the recent enhancements I decided against it. I'm at A50K already and see no reason to spend any more with AC this year.
My situation exactly. After the enhancements I stopped flying AC just as I hit 50k and have been happy with my decision to fly BA where I will be Silver by the end of next week.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by gtpdiddy
If you do a lot of international travels via AC then maybe worth getting 1 extra day to eUp vs the rest of the E50Ks since it appears int'l flights are a lot harder to eUp now for E50K, but seems E75K have benefited from the extra eUp day window.
Pfft, yeah, if you do a lot of international travel and you're ready for a $500 co-pay for each TATL segment.

Laugh. Out. Loud.

The only difference between E50 and E75 next year is your higher priority and 1 day earlier to apply for domestic and transborder eUps, assuming you didn't get Tangoed or Rouged.

As a E75 who is going to likely come up short and end up E50 next year: absolutely not under any circumstances am I going to do a MR to throw money in to AC's pocket for what will be essentially worthless to me.

Last edited by RatherBeInYOW; Oct 16, 2013 at 9:54 pm
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Join me and the cow and MR all the way to SE
Old Oct 17, 2013, 6:42 am

Programs: AC SE
what is your route maradori?
Old Oct 17, 2013, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
It depends on your anticipated needs next year. There isn't a ton of advantage to E75K, but there are a couple that might make it worthwhile for you:
1. The extra 25% bonus miles if you fly a similar distance next year and it's mostly AC will give you an additional 15,000-20,000 miles - at a concervative 1 cent per point that is $200 in added benefit to you.
2. If upgrades are important to you and you fly moderately popular J routes, being E75K puts you ahead of the much larger group of E50K's for upgrades not just in terms of one extra day to book, but also (and typically more importantly) for aerolotto.
3. The blue colour used by AC for the 75K's is much nicer than for the 50K's.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: AY Plat, AA ExP, NH Gold, AMEX PLAT
I agree. It will be messy next year and I don't see the great advantage of being E75. I think the industry will see many changes next year and this co-pay $500 o/w to the EU and $750 o/w to Asia is far from worth it.
Save your pennies for LMU or other airlines with great offers. R seats are so low even now that I why play aerolotto any longer?

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Pfft, yeah, if you do a lot of international travel and you're ready for a $500 co-pay for each TATL segment.

Laugh. Out. Loud.

The only difference between E50 and E75 next year is your higher priority and 1 day earlier to apply for domestic and transborder eUps, assuming you didn't get Tangoed or Rouged.

As a E75 who is going to likely come up short and end up E50 next year: absolutely not under any circumstances am I going to do a MR to throw money in to AC's pocket for what will be essentially worthless to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.