Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

50k vs 75k - is it worth a mileage run?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

50k vs 75k - is it worth a mileage run?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2013, 4:20 pm

About this time last year I did a MR purely to cross into the E75K band, and I have to say that IMO the difference between E50K and E75K benefits this year has completely justified that MR.

However, I'm in exactly the same position now, I will fall just short of E75K this year, but I'll be damned if I'm going to give AC any more unnecessary money to get virtually no extra benefits over E50K, and which I'd still have to pay $500 anyway.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by MacPie
and I have to say that IMO the difference between E50K and E75K benefits this year has completely justified that MR.
what was the most impactful difference for you this year? I decided it wasn't worth it last year to push to 75 so am curious.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
Just checked 11/26-11/29. Requires weekday travel $1733 all in. What a deal! Too bad few people can take the time off to do this! How often such a deal happen? Would be good to do a long weekend in London!
Old Oct 19, 2013, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by gtpdiddy
Just checked 11/26-11/29. Requires weekday travel $1733 all in. What a deal! Too bad few people can take the time off to do this! How often such a deal happen? Would be good to do a long weekend in London!
Weird it's $1617 for me... but let's get a group and book it on US for $1700 as a protest and big middle finger to AC for my two recent $75 fiascos, and for all their nonsensical mid-year changes!!!
Old Oct 20, 2013, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by canolakid
what was the most impactful difference for you this year? I decided it wasn't worth it last year to push to 75 so am curious.
The 6 day window and (I think) extra eUpgrade credits.

Not worth chasing E75K this year though.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
Weird it's $1617 for me... but let's get a group and book it on US for $1700 as a protest and big middle finger to AC for my two recent $75 fiascos, and for all their nonsensical mid-year changes!!!
Wish I can go! Would've saved me 2 mini-MRs within the US on UA to get to SE this year. Next year?
Old Oct 21, 2013, 3:42 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I would personally run for E75 K, provided you are still contributing to Aeroplan.

MrsWT73 is E75k and the extra 15,000 Aeroplan points she has earned this year from the tier bonus has off set some of the devaluations.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
The question is, how big a gap is worth closing?
With no effort, I will get to about 64,500. I am not thinking that's worth the effort (cost) given the upgrade co-pay situation.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: AC-SE Hhonors-G IHG-P
I was debating the same thing, until AC's lately enhancements of $500 add-on and more T fares.
I will enjoy my 50K next year while moving my business elsewhere.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: AC-SE Hhonors-G IHG-P
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
does anyone want to do this LHR thing on US airways with me?! I can get you a friends and family deal at Marriott, so fairly cheap hotel, and have confirmed the flight has lie flight.

http://3rxg9qea18zhtl6s2u8jammft.wpe...nvoy-Suite.jpg
whats the date and price you found with US? A new friend is always nice
Old Oct 21, 2013, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyquiet
The question is, how big a gap is worth closing?
With no effort, I will get to about 64,500. I am not thinking that's worth the effort (cost) given the upgrade co-pay situation.
But how much effort is SFO-YVR-YYZ over SFO-YYZ or something like that?

Taking a day and spending money for a MR is a lot more of an investment than adding a free connection and a couple hours. And if you do that enough, it can really add up. I think I got 8000 miles for SFO-YYZ-SFO due to routing and bonuses in the summer
Old Oct 21, 2013, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
But how much effort is SFO-YVR-YYZ over SFO-YYZ or something like that?

Taking a day and spending money for a MR is a lot more of an investment than adding a free connection and a couple hours. And if you do that enough, it can really add up. I think I got 8000 miles for SFO-YYZ-SFO due to routing and bonuses in the summer
I did book two transcons with 48 hours between instead of a multi-city or open jaw, but the rest of 2013 is 2,000 mile RTs with no time to add days and segments until after exams in December. I'm open minded about trips with some business benefit but given the <SE enhancements, I'm unconvinced that 75K would give me enough benefits (vs 50K) to justify an 11,000 mile MR. Interested in all the discussion here.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 9:59 pm

I did book two transcons with 48 hours between instead of a multi-city or open jaw, but the rest of 2013 is 2,000 mile RTs with no time to add days and segments until after exams in December. I'm open minded about trips with some business benefit but given the <SE enhancements, I'm unconvinced that 75K would give me enough benefits (vs 50K) to justify an 11,000 mile MR. Interested in all the discussion here.
E75K helps a lot on North American upgrades. I say this having a 50% rate for my 4 attempts as E50K

Especially next year, when E50K may not even attempt any international upgrades due to the co-pay.

Is it worth a MR for 11k? Probably not. Is it worth an extra segment here and there at no extra cost? Maybe. But if that doesn't work for you, then I guess not.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 8:02 am

I was keeping an open mind about some unnecessary trips, possibly mini-weekend rather than strict MR, but since this weekend I'm now up to 0 for 4 on transborder upgrades. Other than the lounge and priority/free bag and priority queue, the whole *G is a bust. I know: "want J buy J," but it would be nice to get a perk once in a while. I waitlist the instant my window opens, and when I arrived at the airport for the last flight (first in priority line before desk opened), I even asked the bag check guy my chances because it said "J 3" on flightstats as I left the hotel, and he said "looks good - there are four available". At the gate however, the girl looked at me dismissively like I had food on my face and buttoned my shirt wrong, like "no chance at all".
I can't change to flying places with R space or at least more J space - I go where I go for reasons scheduled by others, and some destinations have only one AC option per day. I'll keep enjoying the lounge and bag privileges, but not very impressed with upgrades and I am not sure the extra lead time on the waitlist window would make that much difference.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:36 am

I was keeping an open mind about some unnecessary trips, possibly mini-weekend rather than strict MR, but since this weekend I'm now up to 0 for 4 on transborder upgrades. Other than the lounge and priority/free bag and priority queue, the whole *G is a bust. I know: "want J buy J," but it would be nice to get a perk once in a while. I waitlist the instant my window opens, and when I arrived at the airport for the last flight (first in priority line before desk opened), I even asked the bag check guy my chances because it said "J 3" on flightstats as I left the hotel, and he said "looks good - there are four available". At the gate however, the girl looked at me dismissively like I had food on my face and buttoned my shirt wrong, like "no chance at all".
I can't change to flying places with R space or at least more J space - I go where I go for reasons scheduled by others, and some destinations have only one AC option per day. I'll keep enjoying the lounge and bag privileges, but not very impressed with upgrades and I am not sure the extra lead time on the waitlist window would make that much difference.
I was recently on a YYZ-SFO that I had actually done a SDC to (from YYZ-YVR-SFO) because it had way more J space, and even if I missed the upgrade, if I'm going to be in Y, I'd like to minimize the time. It was J3 when the flight closed. I went to the gate, and asked the agent if I didn't clear, if she could move me to a better seat (when you SDC 4 hours in advance, preferred seating benefits don't exist). She looked at my BP, and looked at her list, and said something like "If nothing changes, you're not going to get the upgrade." In the past, I've heard "You won't get it." and "You almost certainly will get it." So I take that to mean I was number 4 or 5 on the list (but yes, this is a big assumption). I was E50K at the time.

I've also had other flights that were R>0 at T-6, R0 at T-5, and J0 on day of departure.

Will E75K guarantee you get more upgrades? No. But it will give you an advantage.

I'm not sure how far away from 75k you are, but maybe you could do a weekend trip to the Caribbean or something enjoyable to get there. I'm actually amazed at how many "mileage runs" you can do over a weekend to a nice destination. I've done Florida and Dominican Republic this year, and I have a Florida trip booked next year, all because of a good (4-5cpm) deal on airfare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.