Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CIBC considering Aeroplan options

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2013, 9:33 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

And it came to pass that nothing came to pass...

Negotiating ploys, nothing more. AP starts dropping hints it's looking for a new card partner. CIBC responds by dropping hints it's looking for a new points partner. Neither have palatable alternatives.

Come this time next year things will be the same (at least on the outside.)
Old May 30, 2013, 11:33 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Non-event for me. I dumped Aerogold about 10 years ago because of the non-availability of award seats. I occasionally get accosted by the CIBC touts in the airports, and when I explain why I dumped they always insist it's better now. Utter crap! And now we have scam charges to boot.

The word schadenfreude comes to mind.
Old May 31, 2013, 7:26 am

Interesting quote in the Globe;
"CIBC gets a great deal from Aimia. While Aeroplan charges new entrants 1.5 cents per point and 1.24 cents on average, “CIBC, as the program’s key accumulation partner, is obviously paying less” although the size of the discount is unknown, a pair of National Bank Financial analysts said in a note last month."

Hard to believe that companies are paying 1.5 cents to buy AE miles!!

I tend to think this is all just negotiating between CIBC and AE. A much bigger threat to AE is the upcoming Competition Bureau ruling on credit card fees - which could potentially allow retailers to charge consumers extra for using premium cards.
Old May 31, 2013, 7:35 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
A "B" bank such as ING Canada might try and step up.
ING doesn't have a bricks and mortar position but is the 8th largest in Canada. Or, the Credit Unions/Caisse Populaires might make a move. There is a possibility the CC could also use Master Card and not Visa as the platform.
Old May 31, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: AC*E50
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
A "B" bank such as ING Canada might try and step up.
ING doesn't have a bricks and mortar position but is the 8th largest in Canada. Or, the Credit Unions/Caisse Populaires might make a move. There is a possibility the CC could also use Master Card and not Visa as the platform.
ING is owned by Scotia and most credit union credit cards are issued by TD, so both of those are unlikely.

Could easily be a MasterCard or even an Amex.
Old May 31, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerYYZ
ING is owned by Scotia and most credit union credit cards are issued by TD, so both of those are unlikely.

Could easily be a MasterCard or even an Amex.
That was my thinking as well, based on some of the questions I received in the survey and the various card offerings being compared I figured they were considering a new Amex card.

Although all of what they were proposing to offer would have been of little benefit to me. I already have status, always fly in J usually on C/D/Z and the occasional J & F fares.

I would really like some better ways to actually use all the miles I have accumulated, but at this point I am content to let the liability sit on the books of Aimia.
Old May 31, 2013, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by BrotherBranwell
"CIBC gets a great deal from Aimia. While Aeroplan charges new entrants 1.5 cents per point and 1.24 cents on average, “CIBC, as the program’s key accumulation partner, is obviously paying less” although the size of the discount is unknown, a pair of National Bank Financial analysts said in a note last month."

I tend to think this is all just negotiating between CIBC and AE. A much bigger threat to AE is the upcoming Competition Bureau ruling on credit card fees - which could potentially allow retailers to charge consumers extra for using premium cards.
If that's the case then more people will start going south to shop where there are still relatively few CC fees.
Old May 31, 2013, 9:15 am

Dumped CIBC errorGold so long ago I don't remember when. It was about the same time I left ErrorCanada as my primary.

Haven't regretted it one iota.
Old May 31, 2013, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PunishedEdmontonian
Dumped CIBC errorGold so long ago I don't remember when. It was about the same time I left ErrorCanada as my primary.

Haven't regretted it one iota.
Bolding mine, but have you left completely?

Nice to see you here again,PE^
Old May 31, 2013, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by BrotherBranwell

1.5 cents is way too high, considering we can get US DM at 1.1cents during the transfer promo.
I would say sub 1 cent...
Old May 31, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by yerffej201
1.5 cents is way too high, considering we can get US DM at 1.1cents during the transfer promo.
I would say sub 1 cent...
What"s this about DM for 1.1c ???

Just goes to show how bad the CIBC product is from a consumer value perspective.

Presuming they have a deep discount around 0.8c per mile, their sign up bonus of 15k costs $120 = annual fee and their reward payouts are 0.8% and 1.2% on bonus categories, compared to the cost of other programmes giving rewards like Cap 1 Aspire, CIBC are raking it in! And there must be 10 Aero cards out there for every Aspire, I would even venture a number closer to 50.
Old May 31, 2013, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
CTV NEWS ON CIBC AEROPLAN POTENTIAL SPLIT

"CIBC (TSX:CM) says it has taken steps to create alternative options in case it decides not to renew its Aeroplan credit card agreement with Aimia, which is set to expire at the end of the year.

"While the launch of the alternative card would result in short-term costs for CIBC, we believe it would generate benefit over the longer term for our clients and shareholders," CIBC president and chief executive Gerry McCaughey said during a conference call Thursday"
It took them that long to realize this?

Man, I gotta become a CEO. You just get paid for being stupid!
Old May 31, 2013, 1:47 pm

CIBC probably has many unhappy Aerogold cardholders who have found out, after collecting for many years, that there is simply no seat available for redemption. When they are lucky to be able to redeem seats, they are probably shocked at the charges.

You can have all the points in the world but what good are they if there is no seat to redeem.
Old May 31, 2013, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by markandrew
What"s this about DM for 1.1c ???

Just goes to show how bad the CIBC product is from a consumer value perspective.

Presuming they have a deep discount around 0.8c per mile, their sign up bonus of 15k costs $120 = annual fee and their reward payouts are 0.8% and 1.2% on bonus categories, compared to the cost of other programmes giving rewards like Cap 1 Aspire, CIBC are raking it in! And there must be 10 Aero cards out there for every Aspire, I would even venture a number closer to 50.
You could "buy" US Airways Dividend Miles at 1.135 cents per mile during the October 100% transfer bonus. Even if Aeroplan are worth more than US Airways, the banks shouldn't be paying more than 1 cent for a mile.

That's why this is purely speculation. The contract is profitable for both parties so I have no idea why they wouldn't renew.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...es-in-october/
Old May 31, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
(Repeat of an earlier question. I think it's legit, so I'm gonna ask it again.)

I place a moderate value on Aeroplan points. I haven't had a CIBC Aeroplan card for a few years, and am considering a churn. What's the best strategy here?

A: Apply for a CIBC Aeroplan card now. Get 15,000 miles. In the event that CIBC's agreement with Aeroplan ends, CIBC should offer some kind of incentive to cardholders to keep a card that no longer earns Aeroplan points.

B: Wait it out. Expect both CIBC and Aeroplan or their new suitor to enter a "war" with better incentives.

C: It's not worth the hit to my credit limit; stick with generating Aeroplan miles through Amex.

What would you do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.