Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC IFE - Are the movies edited? If so, How much?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2013, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Flying AC next week for the first time in April. Happy to see Django Unchained on the IFE list. Haven't seen it yet but was going to at some point. Nice way to kill half the transcon flight.

I know it's a harsh movie. Says rated R in EnRoute.

Q : How much will the version on AC differ from the version in theatre?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 2:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
AC IFE - Are the movies edited

Yes they are edited and more than some liked judging by the comments in this thread on the topic.

You almost expect edits for language & graphic violence but, hey, it's Tarantino so taking those two away can really alter the context of his films. Let us know what you find.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 5:35 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
It varies, to be honest - some are edited for content to reduce their length, as I've noticed re-watching some movies (please update them faster, AC!) that scenes I remembered were missing.

I haven't seen topless girls blurred out myself - in the past I've been walking up the aisle or glanced over at another screen and been startled by seeing a naked pair of breasts on the screen. The first time I saw it, I was wondering if Air Canada now aired Bleu Nuit!

On my last FRA-YYZ flight I was watching a movie myself in an aisle seat which had nudity, and felt a little awkward - I glanced around and saw that diagonally behind me was a women glaring at me while her preteen son was trying to see my screen Hey, it's the movie, not me!

Perhaps it depends if the movie was edited in Quebec or not

As for other aspects such as violence, as tcook052 said they may be limited in how much they can edit without making a 20 minute movie. At the same time I've pulled out my laptop and watched The Walking Dead on a flight, with lowered brightness.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcook052
You almost expect edits for language & graphic violence but, hey, it's Tarantino so taking those two away can really alter the context of his films. Let us know what you find.
I won't know how much was cut as I haven't seen it in the theatres.

I dislike censorship .... Even worse to me; if you're going to censor movies, Don't pick extreme movies like Django and cut drastically.

I'll give it a look next week.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Absolute
It varies, to be honest - some are edited for content to reduce their length,
I don't get this ..... We're trapped in a tube for (often) 3 hours + ...... Why edit for length. Of all the times where you likley wont have anything better to do!
Old Apr 19, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: AC SEMM, Nexus
Any Given Sunday used to be on the Thales system. No editing, and some of those football players are big.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 8:11 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
If I recall correctly, Magic Mike was not edited to the point where MsWT73 did not find it enjoyable.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
I won't know how much was cut as I haven't seen it in the theatres.
I meant the more obvious edits for language if not deleted content.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:35 pm

Watched Django Unchained on an AC flight last week. It was my first time seeing it, so I don't know what, if anything was cut, but they sure left a lot of violence in, to the point where I don't think it was heavily edited at all.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:16 pm

Programs: AC SE, Aeroflot Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
They edit Showtime's "Californication" substantially. By the time they are done with cutting mature content, each episode is about 11 seconds long.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 7:06 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Nothing was as bad as the ANZ's edit of Up in the Air.

Everything from the airline to stereotyping was edited out
Old Apr 20, 2013, 9:59 am

I don't find the movies to be edited much if at all. Fly on United, the voice overs for parts with 'questionable' language are poorly done. AC is not shy to show a boobie here or drop an F-Bomb there.

Just don't let them know we enjoy the unedited versions....they may add a surcharge for this in the future...
Old Apr 20, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Recently watched "Ted" and "This is 40" on AC flights.

"Ted" included bare breasts, foul language, sexual innuendo. And tons of awesomeness.

"This is 40" had lots of F-bombs, as well as Leslie Mann's bare breast.

So if they edit, they don't edit much.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: AC*E75K, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold
If you compare the IMDB quoted film length against the Air Canada film length it's normally only a few minutes difference. I don't think there is much editing.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
If one is flying one of the major airlines, chances are that the entertainment program was sourced from Advanced Inflight Alliance AG as it has a market share of more than 50 percent of the airlines. It offers the same edited film product in all of its markets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.