Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Success

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2013, 8:50 pm

Programs: AC QR WS*P
35K and 1/1 on YYZ-YHZ, although I was usually successful on that flight anyway. Haven't been able to upgrade my international because they are not M class, but did get nominated (from a 75K) and success from YHZ-LHR, although the J section was only 1/2 full, cleared two days before the flight.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 9:18 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Upgrade Success

100% success last year as E. So far this year as E50K, 100% success as well.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
3/4 this year as a E75 ( down from SE).
YYZ-MCO - failed
MCO-YYZ - succeeded
YYZ-PBI - succeeded ( self and companion)
PBI-YYZ - succeeded ( self and companion)
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:32 am

Just got successful upgrade (E75) on YYC-LHR and I had forgotten that I was eligible at T-6, so left it to T-5 before requesting. Thought I'd get waitlisted but no, it cleared immediately.

Happy. It's the ONLY reason I persist with AC/Aeroplan... for that overnight pod to London.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
100% so far this year. 9 for 9....89% of upgrades granted at the time of request....11% at the gate.

100% in 2012 also- 38 for 38- 66% of upgrades granted at time of request- 29% granted at the gate.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: AC E, BA Bronze, HHonors Gold
Upgrade Success

100% success:
YOW-LHR
YUL-LHR
BRU-YUL

Now I am two points short to upgrade for my flight back to Canada tomorrow If anyone wants to help it will be appreciated
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
From the responses in this thread, it appears that most of us are achieving the major perk in AC's TT program - upgrades - even if we are having to pay a little more for it.In 10 years, I have been refused upgrade only once (YYC-FRA). Last year I was 12/12. However, I may not be typical. I have not hesitated to change my flight (for a fee) to access a guaranteed upgrade. I have also selected aircrafts with more J seats and avoided weekends and busy periods. I am primarily a leisure traveler, so I can pick and choose departure and return dates with little concern for anybody else's time table. As well, I buy J when it is reasobaly priced.

Maybe we should mellow our criticism of AC. They appear to be delivering on their promise. The PODs on international flights offer privacy unmatched in the Airline industry except those with similar products, Air New Zealand, for example.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uni3052
100% success:
YOW-LHR
YUL-LHR
BRU-YUL

Now I am two points short to upgrade for my flight back to Canada tomorrow If anyone wants to help it will be appreciated
I don't think you can get two points transfered to you. Will be nice if AC allowed us to top-up one another. I asked and was told that differences in status such as upgrade windows make such transfer difficult. What about allowing top-ups withing groups? They did not answer.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Lllahim
I don't think you can get two points transfered to you. Will be nice if AC allowed us to top-up one another. I asked and was told that differences in status such as upgrade windows make such transfer difficult. What about allowing top-ups withing groups? They did not answer.
They mean for someone to add then to their Nominee List and upgrade them.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dorian
They mean for someone to add then to their Nominee List and upgrade them.
You have to transfer all the points needed for upgrade to a nominee; AC will not allow you to merely top up. If 14 eUps are required for say YYC-LHR on a Flex fare and you have only 12, a donor cannot just transfer 2 eUps to you. He/she must come up with all 14 eUps. AC says that you have an option, pay M fare and 8 eUps.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Got my first upgrade of the year LAX-YYZ. Granted it was a red eye.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:27 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
You have to transfer all the points needed for upgrade to a nominee; AC will not allow you to merely top up. If 14 eUps are required for say YYC-LHR on a Flex fare and you have only 12, a donor cannot just transfer 2 eUps to you. He/she must come up with all 14 eUps. AC says that you have an option, pay M fare and 8 eUps.
No idea what you are talking about.

He was looking for someone to add him to their own Nominee List and then upgrade them. Irrelevant how many points he has as you are using your own.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 12:31 am

Programs: Altitude SEMM
Well, the YYZ-YVR failed, but I succeeded on the much more important YVR-SYD!
Old Apr 5, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: Free Agent
However, I may not be typical. I have not hesitated to change my flight (for a fee) to access a guaranteed upgrade. I have also selected aircrafts with more J seats and avoided weekends and busy periods. As well, I buy J when it is reasobaly priced.

You are not so atypical- your approach is what I follow. 100% success since if I don't get my upgrade at booking, I:
  • stay home
  • buy Z/J on another carrier.
Life is too short to sit in the back longhaul. My New Years resolution was to never put myself through the mental torture that is 'waitlisted for upgrade'...
Old Apr 5, 2013, 7:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan 35K
1/1 so far this year.
3 PAX on a Flex-S LHR-YYZ E50K

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.