Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Did everyone suddenly start doing OLCI?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:19 am
SYM
Original Poster

Programs: AC SEMM

Just did OLCI for my flight AC087, YYZ-PVG (Shanghai), tomorrow. Scheduled departure is 13:00. I was a bit slow off the mark this time, didn't start checking in till about 13:06 ie T-23:54. My boarding pass sequence number begins 0088. Can it possibly be that there were 87 other travellers waiting by their computers and beat me to the punch? Any other explanations?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:19 am

Most are likely connections.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:20 am

AC operates 2 flights to PVG, one from YVR and one from YYZ. If you don't live in YVR or YYZ, you're connecting. So it most likely seems like connections.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:49 am
SYM
Original Poster

Could be, but I thought that you couldn't check in for a flight until T-24, regardless of connections. I myself connect from YXU. At least in the past, the system would not let me check in until the final flight was at T24. This used to be a huge headache for getting on the airport list for upgrades.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by SYM
Could be, but I thought that you couldn't check in for a flight until T-24, regardless of connections. I myself connect from YXU. At least in the past, the system would not let me check in until the final flight was at T24.
This is the exact opposite of my experiences with AC
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:04 pm

It's a hit or miss. On my trips to Asia I always route via YYZ and have never had an issue checking in at T-24 for my first flight.

Returning from PVG last week T-24 on 88 connecting onto 271 it gave me an error (check in hasn't opened for one of your flights). Tried again 2 minutes later (T-more than 40 hours before 271) and it let me check in.

Same for returning from HKG, I've always been able to check in at the 24 hour mark of the first flight, sometimes 2nd try.

I could never do it with connections to the US, though.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Originally Posted by SYM
Just did OLCI for my flight AC087, YYZ-PVG (Shanghai), tomorrow. Scheduled departure is 13:00. I was a bit slow off the mark this time, didn't start checking in till about 13:06 ie T-23:54. My boarding pass sequence number begins 0088. Can it possibly be that there were 87 other travellers waiting by their computers and beat me to the punch? Any other explanations?
It could be that the Air Canada Groups agent was processing group traffic as they print the boarding passes and bag tags in advance of certain group bookings so that when the group passengers Arrive the check in process is quick and efficient.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
I could never do it with connections to the US, though.
I've never had a problem checking in for something like YYZ-YVR-SFO 24 hours before the YYZ-YVR departure.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:39 pm

Returning from PVG last week T-24 on 88 connecting onto 271 it gave me an error (check in hasn't opened for one of your flights). Tried again 2 minutes later (T-more than 40 hours before 271) and it let me check in.
I'm going to assume that you're based in YWG (your name and because 271 is YYZ-YWG).

Often times YWG-PEK/PVG/HKG via YYZ has a $300 (Flex) to $1K+ (Exec Lowest) premium over routing through YVR. Do you just pony it up for the extra miles? Or does someone else cover it? Because it's ~2K extra AQM RT.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by hydrogen
I'm going to assume that you're based in YWG (your name and because 271 is YYZ-YWG).

Often times YWG-PEK/PVG/HKG via YYZ has a $300 (Flex) to $1K+ (Exec Lowest) premium over routing through YVR. Do you just pony it up for the extra miles? Or does someone else cover it? Because it's ~2K extra AQM RT.
'Someone else' covers it. I far prefer YYZ timings, 777 to 763, and the frequency of YYZ-YWG flights so it's worth it.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 1:03 pm

'Someone else' covers it. I far prefer YYZ timings, 777 to 763, and the frequency of YYZ-YWG flights so it's worth it.
Makes sense. Travel time is essentially the same anyways. So you can either sit in the tin can earning AQM or you can sit in the MLL earning calories.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:13 pm
SYM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've never had a problem checking in for something like YYZ-YVR-SFO 24 hours before the YYZ-YVR departure.
Interesting. Thanks for all the input. I just assumed my experience was universal.
Now I am wondering if maybe the issue is onward connections on non-AC. Usually I continue on with another airline from PVG/HKG/PEK. So perhaps that is why I haven't been able to do OLCI when my other flights are <T24. But you would think the system would at least let me check in to my AC flights. Or maybe something has changed in the last few months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.