Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2013 changes - no more complimentary bulkhead seats for Elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE

Was looking at the details of the AC program for 2013, and noticed that they seem to be tightening up on Elites being able to book a bulkhead seat on a T+ fare without paying the Preferred Seat charge (but E's have to pay if they want to book an exit row). Looks like for 2013, even at the Elite 50K level, you'd have to pay the Preferred Seat charge, unless you're on a Latitude fare (Elite75's can book a bulkhead on T+ without the fee).

From what I recall, there was a lot of grumbling when they introduced the charges for Preferred seats, but allowing E's to book the bulkhead without paying the extra charge was one of the concessions they made. Guess it wasn't meant to last long. Unfortunate to see that benefit being scaled back to only Lat fares.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by gcashin
Was looking at the details of the AC program for 2013, and noticed that they seem to be tightening up on Elites being able to book a bulkhead seat on a T+ fare without paying the Preferred Seat charge (but E's have to pay if they want to book an exit row). Looks like for 2013, even at the Elite 50K level, you'd have to pay the Preferred Seat charge, unless you're on a Latitude fare (Elite75's can book a bulkhead on T+ without the fee).

From what I recall, there was a lot of grumbling when they introduced the charges for Preferred seats, but allowing E's to book the bulkhead without paying the extra charge was one of the concessions they made. Guess it wasn't meant to last long. Unfortunate to see that benefit being scaled back to only Lat fares.
I believe ACTT has already specifically said in a previous posting bulkhead seats are still free for 50K Elites on T+ fares.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:59 pm

From the website:

For Prestige, Elite 35K and Elite 50K, Complimentary Preferred Seats are only available with a Latitude fare.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...ation_Services
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:02 pm

And the enhancements go on. Shame. Hopefully they will see some loss for their distain for their most loyal customers...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
AE is dead to me. Effective 01 Jan 2013 I'll be yet another AC refugee earning miles on UA MP. (And likely flying UA metal while I'm at it.)
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: AE, SPG, HH
Welcome to the club! I left AC 2 years ago and its been happy times since.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:32 pm

Do SEs get complimentary preferred seats on T fares next year? The program details say any fare, but preferred seat selection requires seat selection, which is not free for T fares.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:35 pm

I joined the 1K club this year.
Amazing difference between AC and UA.
UA may be rough around the edges but they show they appreciate your loyalty.
AC does everything to piss on you and your parade.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:38 pm

Programs: United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Okay I dug up the relevant passage from ACTT for you guys:

Preferred Seats. Elite 75K members will enjoy complimentary access to Preferred Seats next year when traveling on any Tango Plus or Latitude fare. Super Elite 100K members will have access to Preferred Seats with any fare. And before you ask, as today, Elite 35K and Elite 50K members will retain complimentary access to the forward bulkhead Preferred Seats.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by eyeball1

Preferred Seats. Elite 75K members will enjoy complimentary access to Preferred Seats next year when traveling on any Tango Plus or Latitude fare. Super Elite 100K members will have access to Preferred Seats with any fare. And before you ask, as today, Elite 35K and Elite 50K members will retain complimentary access to the forward bulkhead Preferred Seats.
I really hope that is correct, but the benefits overview for 2013 (link posted above) says that Elite 35/50k members only have complimentary access on a Latitude fare, so if that is the case, hopefully they can update the Web site or clear up the confusion.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Meh. Don't really care, bulkhead seats hardly available during my AC bookings anyway.

Booked US earlier, they put me in bulkhead seats (maybe *G?) automatically.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:23 pm

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
I only try for bulkhead when I flew with the kids/wife and in the Embraers.

No real vacays planned next year needed air travel, so not sure how much the bulkhead/preferred seat "enhancement" will hurt.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
Meh. Don't really care, bulkhead seats hardly available during my AC bookings anyway.

Booked US earlier, they put me in bulkhead seats (maybe *G?) automatically.
This is the problem anyway, as an SE I never seem to get them they are always gone. (Sold) the benefit was lost years ago and at that time I remember folks saying its all still goo its all still good. Fools. Canadians are so gullible.

Anyway the other thing is because people are paying for them you never have an empty seat next to you so your better to sit in the back and hope for an empty seat.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 1:40 am

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by eyeball1

Yeah UA loyalty like when you fly from SFO to IAD (insert any major US city pairs here) and are number 27 on the upgrade list as a 1K.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:09 am

Im an SE i just purchased a YUL/FRA and selected a exit row. I then seen after I was charged $90 fee for my seats.......This isnt right is it? Im on a T+ M

This is for a flight next week.

'Is there a charge for selecting a Preferred seat?

Preferred seat selection is complimentary:

when you travel on a Latitude fare;
for you and your travel companions on the same booking if you are:
An Air Canada Super Elite customer travelling on a Tango Plus fare;"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.