Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan points actually have negative value..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan points actually have negative value..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BradnerBoy
I know you're just saying that as a general statement, but in case anyone was hoping/wishing/praying they could get Chase Sapphire or other US-based credit card, unless you have a US SSN, Canadians cannot get one as most, if not all, credit card applications require you to give your SSN or similar. If it was as easy as simply having US address to get a cc, we'd all dump the Canadian cards in a heartbeat
I have a ssn, Us address in addition to US funds. Makes sense to me.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:23 pm

Programs: AC, UA, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
You did. How is UA F like i never used the airline.
It depends on your expectations for international F. I flew UA from SFO to FRA on my last mini-RTW in Spetember, and while it is not the luxurious service you might get on OZ or LX, the hard product is quite good and the meals and wine are still a step up from J in most carriers. If your primary objective is to get a good nights sleep, with maybe a steak and a few glasses of California Cab to help you sleep, UA gets the job done. Think of it as comparing a Hilton to a Four Seasons - pretty good vs excellent. You will not have a UA FA kneel beside your seat to fill your glass, but my last trip they were very friendly and attentive. You'll find UA F trip reports in the Community>Trip Reports section of this board.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ml262
I have a ssn, Us address in addition to US funds. Makes sense to me.
I don't know if this applies to you, but I'll share it here for the benefit of others.

I recently moved to the US, and it was not easy getting a credit card. Even when I was finally approved, it is not quite the card I wanted, and the limit is low. You need more than a US address and SSN to get a good card. You need credit history
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:47 pm

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
Originally Posted by rankourabu
montrealer, I dont know what you mean by if you can find availability on UA - its the exact same inventory for general members. Yes, I know AC flights you can do IKK for SEs - but any level elite gets extra access to UA Y inventory as well, and 75k+ elites get plenty of extra business inventory, so its a wash.

And, I disagree with "often its still pretty good value" - more like at odd times, its still pretty good value.
Sorry for the tardy reply - too much travelling

The problem is on each program you get extra access to seats on that carrier's flights. I live in Ottawa, where I am much better connected to the outside world on AC- than UA-operated flights. So I value IKK-like access to AC seats more than to UA seats, enough to compensate for either paying or spending the effort to bypass Aeroplan higher charges. Basically, I'm usually happy to jiggle schedules and routings to get the optimal J longhaul, but that strategy would break down if I would then have to hopscotch around with multiple hops or take ridiculously timed connecting flights to catch it.

I'd agree that for many people, Aeroplan redemptions are much poorer value than they think they are (and than they used to be). But I don't agree that they're necessarily poor value compared to the alternatives.

[Just checked: UA serves 7 US hubs with 32 flights daily total from YYZ, and only 3 hubs with 12 flights daily from YOW. Of course YYZ is better connected overall, but it demonstrates why UA seat access, preferential or not, is less valuable to me.]
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by montrealer
Sorry for the tardy reply - too much travelling

The problem is on each program you get extra access to seats on that carrier's flights. I live in Ottawa, where I am much better connected to the outside world on AC- than UA-operated flights. So I value IKK-like access to AC seats more than to UA seats, enough to compensate for either paying or spending the effort to bypass Aeroplan higher charges. Basically, I'm usually happy to jiggle schedules and routings to get the optimal J longhaul, but that strategy would break down if I would then have to hopscotch around with multiple hops or take ridiculously timed connecting flights to catch it.

I'd agree that for many people, Aeroplan redemptions are much poorer value than they think they are (and than they used to be). But I don't agree that they're necessarily poor value compared to the alternatives.

[Just checked: UA serves 7 US hubs with 32 flights daily total from YYZ, and only 3 hubs with 12 flights daily from YOW. Of course YYZ is better connected overall, but it demonstrates why UA seat access, preferential or not, is less valuable to me.]
ok fair point on YOW.

However, I know people love their IKK - but its only for SEs
UA also has extra access for elites (Plat+ J, all elites for Y) - and this is greater than IKK availability.

So overall - using UA points gives you access to far greater inventory, period.

hmm.. as for the hubs - I guess we can go on UA from YYZ to EWR,CLE,IAH,IAD,DEN,SFO,ORD for easy onwards connections, while YOW only gets a few express flights. 32 daily flights doesnt seem like a lot of capacity seeing how its mostly on E145s, Q400s and CR7s.... Hopefully we will see some mainline planes more often in YYZ, and not only to ORD and SFO.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 8:18 pm

How?? Isnt it 175k now for AE F awards? +$1000 in fees

US/UA rates are much lower.

And US miles sell for peanuts.
I found your analyses on the value of AE points interesting. It seems that you found examples of these to be a negative proposition. Even for a long haul trips, the value is less than 1c per mile on Y. To deplete my points that may may have some value today, I am planning a trip to Europe in April-June with 1 layover each way. I like to structure this getaway something like this:

YYC-NY 4 day stay
NY- KRK stop

from here will travel to other cities in Europe but as a separate idea and not part of this itinerary

KRK-YUL 4 day stay
YUL-YYC

How best to use my AE points (the only program I am on) ? I have sufficient accumulation for 2 J tickets. As a season traveler and with a location of KRK in you profile your suggestions would be welcomed. Comments from others would also be appreciated.

Last edited by 1Newflyer; Nov 24, 2012 at 10:47 am
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by ismellforyou
Wouldn't having a US CC cause trouble as you would need to pay in US dollars and converting your can dollars would cost you at the bank.
RBC Bank USA. No forex fees for xfers from an RBC Canada account. Do hafta watch dollar fluctuations though, but I figure so long as you change $ when CAD > USD it's all good.

Cheers
Old Nov 24, 2012, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

How best to use my AE points (the only program I am on) ? I have sufficient accumulation for 2 J tickets. As a season travel and with a location of KRK in you profile your suggestions would be welcomed. Comments from others would also be appreciated.
For best value, you need to fly NYC-Europe as well as return longhaul on UA/SN/LX. If you are going next year - you may want to do LO TATL on their new 787s from JFK to WAW. The fees AC charges on LO are about half of those of LH/OS/AC.

On the way back, I suggest flying ZRH-YUL if you can find it, or again on LO via YYZ.

KRK/KTW is a good base for cheap European fares.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:51 am

For best value, you need to fly NYC-Europe as well as return longhaul on UA/SN/LX. If you are going next year - you may want to do LO TATL on their new 787s from JFK to WAW. The fees AC charges on LO are about half of those of LH/OS/AC.

On the way back, I suggest flying ZRH-YUL if you can find it, or again on LO via YYZ.

KRK/KTW is a good base for cheap European fares.
Thanks for pointers.

Anyone knows when LO will start using the 787s to JFK or YYZ?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for pointers.

Anyone knows when LO will start using the 787s to JFK or YYZ?

Warsaw – Chicago eff 16JAN13 Up to 10 weekly by 20MAY13
Warsaw – Toronto eff 01FEB13 8 weekly by 06JUN13
Warsaw – New York JFK eff 03FEB13 10 weekly by from 03JUN13
Old Nov 24, 2012, 2:50 pm

Warsaw – Chicago eff 16JAN13 Up to 10 weekly by 20MAY13
Warsaw – Toronto eff 01FEB13 8 weekly by 06JUN13
Warsaw – New York JFK eff 03FEB13 10 weekly by from 03JUN13
Great and thanks again, it fits my plans. Just hope they stick to above dates. If I book it and its delayed....then I guess I loose and will travel what ever plane they have at that time. April 10 for NY..... maybe June for YYZ. Should be plenty to workout the quirks.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 4:29 pm

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
Example for my claim above that reasonably valuable Aeroplan redemptions are not that hard to find.

I just looked up and redeemed:
YOW-DCA one day this week, return the next day. 15,000 pts + $167 using IKK Y.
Alternatively could have booked nonstop flights for $789 (non reward). That works out to about 4c/mile - not bad.

Could I have gotten better value with United points? I checked:
Even as a United pleb, one way is available as a Saver award (it's actually the AC flight); the other way only as a Standard award from IAD. Even if I had United status enough to "IKK-equivalent" it, it would still be 25,000 miles + $130, a value of 2.6c/mile. Not bad, but not as good as Aeroplan.

Moral of the story - sometimes Aeroplan is good, sometimes it's horrid. You just have to be careful and calculate....
Old Nov 25, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by montrealer

Could I have gotten better value with United points? I checked:
Even as a United pleb, one way is available as a Saver award (it's actually the AC flight); the other way only as a Standard award from IAD. Even if I had United status enough to "IKK-equivalent" it, it would still be 25,000 miles + $130, a value of 2.6c/mile. Not bad, but not as good as Aeroplan.

ok just checked - YOW-IAD is available EVERY SINGLE DAY multiple flights a day - this week for ANY LEVEL elites in Y/"F" as well as DCA (but with a connection) on UA metal

Cost is 20000 miles for Y + $55.40 (no close in fee for Plat+, +$25 for Gold)

So basically the trade off to those 5000 AE miles you are saving, you make up for by paying $112 extra in
scamcharges/fake NAVCAN taxes.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by anotheran2
Just priced a trip from YYZ to Rome on AP:

90K points + ~$600 ($460 in fuel surcharge) for First class on Luthansa via FRA

On AA:
200K points + $120 for First class on AA via JFK

the fuel surcharge is crazy. I'm seriously thinking of switching
How did you get 90k? But don't compare it that way. The exact same flights on UA MP: ~100 bucks.

Originally Posted by RoninTech
Our strategy is to work all the accumulation angles and only redeem for long F trips. So Aeroplan miles still work for us. Haven't had to pay big yet, although this was the most expensive so far as it's usually been ~$130 each for our previous F trips. I imagine it'll only get worse in 2014. A good sign is how the bastages excluded MR points from their annual December transfer bonus deal.

Caveat is that we find the best deal in the general Jan.-Mar. timeframe and then book our holiday, not the other way around. Well at least Mrs. Ronintech does, as I'm self employed so my boss always says yes.
You didn't pay big because of SQ. When do you think they'll have another glitch? For your next rtw's, all the good F's have YQ. LH, TH, OZ, NH (if you can find). LX and SQ don't release space anymore. So what are you limited to? UA?

Originally Posted by BradnerBoy
I know you're just saying that as a general statement, but in case anyone was hoping/wishing/praying they could get Chase Sapphire or other US-based credit card, unless you have a US SSN, Canadians cannot get one as most, if not all, credit card applications require you to give your SSN or similar. If it was as easy as simply having US address to get a cc, we'd all dump the Canadian cards in a heartbeat
Only online applications. If you have an US address and can get in-branch connections/know the people at bank well enough I'm sure it's possible.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:48 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Not negative, but minimal value.
Just booked a PBI-YYZ return flight over Xmas/New Year period.

Revenue flight was $401 all in.
AE reward on same flights was 25,000 miles plus $169.00 co-pay.

That means AC is valuing 25,000 miles at $232.00 = less than 1 cpm.

Again pointing out the lack of value for Y rewards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.