Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Edmonton woman sues Air Canada over ‘scalding’ water spill

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Edmonton woman sues Air Canada over ‘scalding’ water spill

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by antirealist
Coffee shops use a thermometer when steaming and frothing milk for latte etc, in order to avoid denaturing the milk proteins, which would impair proper foam production.
that occurs at a temperature that is well above what is safe to drink. What, 80. You are in part, correct, however.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:01 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by mkjr
You are in part, correct, however.
No, I'm completely correct. The thermometer in the milk frother has everything to do with the quality of the drink, and nothing whatever to do with preventing injury to the consumer,
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:20 pm
7E7
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E75
No, I'm completely correct. The thermometer in the milk frother has everything to do with the quality of the drink, and nothing whatever to do with preventing injury to the consumer,
You are totally correct! Quality of drink is the purpose.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: FT
You ought to clarify with a barista working for a us company before making such a unilateral declaration. But of course this is the Internet.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by NordsFan
It's not a question of convenience, it's a matter of law. Her right to claim is subject to time limitations. Whether she files the week after the incident or on the last day before prescription kicks in is of no importance.
A figure of speech.. a run on words. Of course its a matter of law to file before the 2 year deadline.. that is obviously why the claimant filed before the deadline.

But the other perspective could be, why wait so late to file a Statement of Claim. The claimant waited til the last second to file. Why not file the statement of claim a month or a year before?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
But the other perspective could be, why wait so late to file a Statement of Claim. The claimant waited til the last second to file. Why not file the statement of claim a month or a year before?
Why ask a question NordsFan has already answered in his post here?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
AC is an easy target. Probably hoping for hush money.

How long until we have a "Hot Liquids-Free" seating zone with only colds drinks allowed?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by 7E7
It is very easy to check if it is OK to recline, and is just plain common courtesy. I always check when I do recline. ...I have actually had coffee spill on me, and did have some minor blistering ( which would make it a second degree viburnum I believe. This was due to FA bumping my arm while drinking. Have I filed a claim? No, because it was an accident. Stuff like this happens. ...There just seems to be a lack of common sense.....
My point exactly. I don't dispute the lady's right to make a claim, however, I do believe that this borders on being a frivolous claim and smacks of a money grab (yes, and that is just my opinion).

Nordsfan obviously has a more intimate knowledge of the legal process and what is/isn't suitable material for the courts, so I defer there. However, the late filing of the claim does suggest that her lawyers' initial attempts at some form of compensation have already been rebuked by AC legal department.

Last edited by sp4294; Nov 17, 2012 at 7:09 pm
Old Nov 17, 2012, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by mkjr
it is rather odd. I mean it sounds like this person did in fact suffer some real damage. Sure, they will have to prove it and prove ac was negligent but funny how some assume what they do. Oh well, I just accept that 50 percent of people will strongly disagree with everything i say regardless of right, wrong etc.
i agree there might be some injury done..... but some of the description (on the emotional side) seems a lil far stretched......
Old Nov 18, 2012, 1:51 am
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by sp4294
Originally Posted by 7E7
It is very easy to check if it is OK to recline, and is just plain common courtesy. I always check when I do recline. ...I have actually had coffee spill on me, and did have some minor blistering ( which would make it a second degree viburnum I believe. This was due to FA bumping my arm while drinking. Have I filed a claim? No, because it was an accident. Stuff like this happens. ...There just seems to be a lack of common sense.....
My point exactly. I don't dispute the lady's right to make a claim, however, I do believe that this borders on being a frivolous claim and smacks of a money grab (yes, and that is just my opinion).

Nordsfan obviously has a more intimate knowledge of the legal process and what is/isn't suitable material for the courts, so I defer there. However, the late filing of the claim does suggest that her lawyers' initial attempts at some form of compensation have already been rebuked by AC legal department.
I think what it really suggests is that the level of reading comppensation on FT is very low.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
The suit claims the FA erred in not putting a lid on the cup as well as serving the water at too high a temp. A lid would've contained the spill due to other pax reclining their seat or turbulence.
I have never had a lid put on my coffee ,served hot, in the J cabin

I just add Baileys to cool it off, and I would never let the Baileys spill
Old Nov 18, 2012, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
A figure of speech.. a run on words. Of course its a matter of law to file before the 2 year deadline.. that is obviously why the claimant filed before the deadline.

The business I work for had an industrial accident many years ago. The MOL was involved.We were notified on the last possible day that we could be served that we would be facing legal action.

I like the version Nordsfan is presenting. He may have some background in these matters
Old Nov 18, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by NordsFan
It's not a question of convenience, it's a matter of law. Her right to claim is subject to time limitations. Whether she files the week after the incident or on the last day before prescription kicks in is of no importance.

Waiting until later in the game doesn't mean that demand letters haven't been sent and other correspondance exchanged. In fact, in physical harm cases, a medical practitioner will prefer to wait until the injury consolidates before issuing an opinion on the long-term effects of the injury. This has a direct effect on the amount of the claim.

This is a funny place. Every week someone raises the idea of filing a class action for any one of the many little affronts that FFers suffer because of "enhancements", IROPS, etc. Then, when a person seems to suffer actual physical harm from an incident, a claim for reparation is deemed to be frivolous, greedy and otherwise ill-intentioned.

Fantastic.
This is 100% correct. In law, there is no difference whatsoever in filing on day one or two years later. Additionally, in medical claims the extent of damage is often unknown until treatment has run its course. Burns as alleged are extremely painful and traumatic. Speak to a real burn victim and you will get an idea.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by KenHamer
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

... level of reading comppensation...
??
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by fly-yul
This is 100% correct. In law, there is no difference whatsoever in filing on day one or two years later. Additionally, in medical claims the extent of damage is often unknown until treatment has run its course. Burns as alleged are extremely painful and traumatic. Speak to a real burn victim and you will get an idea.
Yes, no fun to be sure, but the claims of emotional and mental anguish are truly suspect IMO. Of course lawyers will do anything to enhance their position, that is just the nature of the beast, and surely, always done with the client's best interest in mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.